What's going on in your garden (2023)?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have to grow all of my stuff under 95% shading material here because the UV levels even in winter are so high. On Friday the UV hit 12 (on a 0 to 15 scale). Plus I found I couldn't work in the veg plot without it.
We've noticed that everything does so much better with it.

Do you have anything you can use to provide shade?

My garden gets shade in the morning, but is full sun in the afternoon, when it is hottest. I have considered some shade screening, and will probably do it for next growing season. I need to find a way to make it look nice.

CD

My garden gets shade in the morning, but is full sun in the afternoon, when it is hottest. I have considered some shade screening, and will probably do it for next growing season. I need to find a way to make it look nice.

CD
So pretty much the exact opposite of what is needed! Trees can provide shade if that's an option. Otherwise it is just a case of accept it and make sure it's secure!

Not our garden but immediately next door to the south. Tree fellas (albeit only two arrived) cleaning up the area. This one's about 12 metres high.

Tree Fellas s.jpg

PPE Checklist.jpg
The Surin chainsaw massacre.

Stumps s.jpg

And the spoils.

Logs s.jpg

Not our garden but immediately next door to the south. Tree fellas (albeit only two arrived) cleaning up the area. This one's about 12 metres high.
That's more or less how they do it over here, too. Sometimes they actually turn up with a chainsaw; other times, just a machete.
PPE? You've got to be joking. Some prefer to climb the trees barefoot. They say they get a better hold... :hyper: :hyper:
Once the logs are on the ground, there are three options. The first, you rent a huge lorry for an eye-watering sum, and they'll take the logs away. The second, they'll pile them up neatly outside your house and hope the local council will take them away. The final option is to stack them some place on your property, where they'll dry out and then can be used for BBQs, decorating the garden, etc.

We're still getting far too much rain and the ground is often waterlogged, which (a) makes it difficult to remove weeds and (b) makes the damned things grow like wildfire. Anyway, managed to get a few days in last week, removing the tropical ivy from the wall, removing the dead bromeliads and eliminating weeds.

Garden 21823 1.jpg
Garden 21823 2.jpg

It’s that time. Raking apples every few days. I keep a few for pies and other desserts but don’t have time to harvest them all. They are small this year. Some say it is because of the smoke from the forest fires up North.
View attachment 103991View attachment 103992

That's how it was with the peach tree at my last house. 300 peaches in two week's time. I was picking and giving away peaches every day.

CD

It’s that time. Raking apples every few days. I keep a few for pies and other desserts but don’t have time to harvest them all.
I can remember times when I was a kid in Kent, England. There were so many apples, people would just put boxes in front of their houses, and you took what you needed.
Then I remembered that I had a 1947 recipe book called "Farmhouse Fare". This recipe is taken from that, so you may want to try. Hey, the worst thing that could happen is that the cider tastes no good and you dump it. No loss, no gain.
Love the "slice of beetroot", btw!
Cider recipe.jpg

Day two and again only two fellas but one lady also.

Same PPE.

Tree Fellas 2 s.jpg

Tree Fellas 3 s.jpg

Stump 3 s.jpg

Are those palm trees? If so, why are you cutting them down? Too many? Were they sick? Knowing you as much as I can online, I'm assuming there is a good reason.

CD

I'm not cutting any trees down. It is my "absent" next door neighbour to the south.

Judging by the photo, they look very similar to two palm trees we had in the back garden. They were attacked by some gigantic black beetle, which ate through the roots. When the top of the palm wilted, we knew we had to cut them down immediately.

Judging by the photo, they look very similar to two palm trees we had in the back garden. They were attacked by some gigantic black beetle, which ate through the roots. When the top of the palm wilted, we knew we had to cut them down immediately.

I believe that it's called a palmera tree. These are the fruits: #68

I don't believe that there was anything wrong with the tree but I was relieved in a way that it was removed. The size of it and the proximity to my house it was possible that a strong wind may have taken it down along with my kitchen.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom