2024 July 4th Plans

5 little fish courses followed by a 6th of fish pie for dinner.

Which reminds me that elsewhere you mentioned monkfish in the fish pie (I think). Personally I think this a waste of such an expensive and delicious fish. Its a very robust fish which works really well in curries, or in a light Mediterranean stew, for example. Also (I'm sure you know this) you need to remove the membrane if this hasn't been done by the fishmonger.

Personally I think this a waste of such an expensive and delicious fish.
He'll be glad your not in charge of his birthday then 😆

Its a very robust fish which works really well in curries, or in a light Mediterranean stew, for example.
It's a robust fish that works in many sauces and flavourings, including being a star in fish pie.
But I seem to remember you're not a fish pie fan so I understand you leaning towards other ideas.

Absolutely no idea what we're going to do, or eat tomorrow. I imagine it'll probably be grilled meat, meat and meat, although it's possible there could be some more meat involved :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
See if he’ll make you a homemade version of a KFC Double Down:

1720014260518.jpeg

People

Two deep-fried chicken breasts for a bun, and some cheese and sauce and bacon for the filling.

Maybe he can slide a burger patty in there! :laugh:

But I seem to remember you're not a fish pie fan so I understand you leaning towards other ideas
Oh, I've probably had too many bland white sauce concoctions topped with mashed potato. I do love mashed potato but not on top of fish. But if you can make monkfish the star of the fish pie then it could be lovely. Hope you can post photos of you fish courses.

Oh, I've probably had too many bland white sauce concoctions topped with mashed potato. I do love mashed potato but not on top of fish. But if you can make monkfish the star of the fish pie then it could be lovely. Hope you can post photos of you fish courses.
I did think you must have had some awful fish pies!
I blame school dinners and the bad ol' pub food days of yore, some mixed fish cooked in an all in one fashion with a thin but gloopy milky sauce.
I must stop, I'm putting myself off fish pie 😆

I cook the different fishes separately so they maintain the correct taste and texture and only combine it with a good white wine sauce that can stand on its own two feet.
That's done when it's all at it's peak (ie slightly underdone) then it's in the oven for a brief 20 mins just to combine the ingredients.

Tbh it would work equally well deconstructed but then it's no pie is it 😂

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom