2024 July 4th Plans

It was raining but they still had a fireworks display. I was surprised.
Our fireworks are this Saturday. We live a few blocks from a good sized lake. They shoot the fireworks out over the lake and it's quite beautiful. We used to have a boat and when the kids were young we'd all go boating and skiing for the day, eat at one of the lakefront restaurant decks, and then anchor at sunset to watch the display. Good times!

Not many pics taken because I was busy swanning it 😆 but I did manage to get all 8 courses out smoothly.
Everyone seemed to really enjoy it. I was happy with it to the extent I'd do it all again and change nothing!

IMG_3432.jpeg

Two gluggle jugs worth of Long Island Ice Tea consumed before the good chablis' made their entrance 😉

First up were lobster canapés. That was a simple affair of cucumber rounds with lobster in a light lemon mayonnaise.
Next a few little Escargot, the only non fish dish (apart from the ice cream at the end).
IMG_3433.jpeg

Then the tuna tartare. One person was dubious so I told them it would be like a gravlax but made with tuna rather than salmon, that helped it land well.
IMG_3434.jpeg

This is medtran49 's tuna recipe and karadekoolaid 's cucumber jelly so big thanks to you!
As suggested I put something crunchy with it and the tamari sesame rice crackers worked well. There is also a sharp gherkin relish to cut through and trout caviar which I feel has a much better flavour and texture than other roes.

Next scallops seared in a thermidor butter. I'm pretty sure that butter would make anything taste good 😆

IMG_3439.jpeg

Sorry no pics of the next two.
Salt and pepper squid and octopus skewers with a spicy dipping sauce and a good old fashioned wedge of lemon.

Then a poor man's coquille st jaques which was more prawn than lobster but delicious and worth the effort all the same.

IMG_3443.jpeg

Hmm they said drip free, fibbers!!

and at last the main of fish pie. Done individually so non dairy eaters can still have their pie and eat it.
IMG_3451.jpeg

Sometime after this we went at the Fudge and Espresso ice cream. That was dairyfree because it's good in its own right and doesn't benefit from being made with dairy!

I might be able to add a pic of that later cos I think there's some left, no guarantees around here as once they know where something is it becomes a bit of a free for all!

Not many pics taken because I was busy swanning it 😆 but I did manage to get all 8 courses out smoothly.
Everyone seemed to really enjoy it. I was happy with it to the extent I'd do it all again and change nothing!

View attachment 115648
Two gluggle jugs worth of Long Island Ice Tea consumed before the good chablis' made their entrance 😉

First up were lobster canapés. That was a simple affair of cucumber rounds with lobster in a light lemon mayonnaise.
Next a few little Escargot, the only non fish dish (apart from the ice cream at the end).
View attachment 115649

Then the tuna tartare. One person was dubious so I told them it would be like a gravlax but made with tuna rather than salmon, that helped it land well.
View attachment 115650
This is medtran49 's tuna recipe and karadekoolaid 's cucumber jelly so big thanks to you!
As suggested I put something crunchy with it and the tamari sesame rice crackers worked well. There is also a sharp gherkin relish to cut through and trout caviar which I feel has a much better flavour and texture than other roes.

Next scallops seared in a thermidor butter. I'm pretty sure that butter would make anything taste good 😆

View attachment 115651

Sorry no pics of the next two.
Salt and pepper squid and octopus skewers with a spicy dipping sauce and a good old fashioned wedge of lemon.

Then a poor man's coquille st jaques which was more prawn than lobster but delicious and worth the effort all the same.

View attachment 115652
Hmm they said drip free, fibbers!!

and at last the main of fish pie. Done individually so non dairy eaters can still have their pie and eat it.
View attachment 115653

Sometime after this we went at the Fudge and Espresso ice cream. That was dairyfree because it's good in its own right and doesn't benefit from being made with dairy!

I might be able to add a pic of that later cos I think there's some left, no guarantees around here as once they know where something is it becomes a bit of a free for all!

WOW..............................Well done. Everything looks fantastic!

Good ol' chemical-laden Betty Crocker gel food coloring...that's some quality Blue Dye No. 1 you're seeing. :wink:
Food dyes were the absolute devil in this country for so many years that it's quite the surprise now to discover they're all naturally sourced sensible dyes now.

It was so vehement they were absolute poison it still makes me queasy now to use decent natural food colourings!

Back
Top Bottom