Dubious seasonal product versions

Here, when I was a kid in the ‘70’s, we had three flavors: regular/plain, sour cream & green onion, and barbecue, and that was it, and life was perfect.
Umm, I would say I prefer cheddar cheese to BBQ. I never liked BBQ chips. But French onion reigns supreme (if you don't have French onion dip, that is). Actually the cheddar cheese tastes really good dipped in FO dip...

No salt and vinegar?
Nope. That was a much later addition. We had to get through cheddar cheese, chili cheese, nacho cheese (which all tasted the same), and ranch (and all its sub-varieties…which all tasted like sour cream & green onion).

I remember salt & vinegar showing up here sometime in the 1990’s, I think, arguably on the same day as dill pickle-flavored ones.

Fun fact - I just learned that li’l ol’ Tayto was the first maker to offer flavored crisps (unless you count salt as a flavor).

Another fun fact - I used to work with a woman in Oxfordshire who referred to salt & vinegar crisps as “Sal & Vinnie.” 🤷🏻‍♂️

Nope. That was a much later addition. We had to get through cheddar cheese, chili cheese, nacho cheese (which all tasted the same), and ranch (and all its sub-varieties…which all tasted like sour cream & green onion).

I remember salt & vinegar showing up here sometime in the 1990’s, I think, arguably on the same day as dill pickle-flavored ones.

Fun fact - I just learned that li’l ol’ Tayto was the first maker to offer flavored crisps (unless you count salt as a flavor).

Another fun fact - I used to work with a woman in Oxfordshire who referred to salt & vinegar crisps as “Sal & Vinnie.” 🤷🏻‍♂️
Bit like BBQ flavour here then. Didn’t appear til 1990 and then they were discontinued fairly quickly.
BBQ flavour only took off here in recent times.

Growing up in the UK, the first crisps I remember were Smith's. Plain, and they came with a little blue packet of salt . Then, later on, we got cheese & onion, salt and vinegar, prawn cocktail, smoky bacon and OXO flavours.
In a lot of pubs, crisps were the only food items available!

“I love to eat a healthy diet. That’s why I start every day with muesli!”

“Me, too! I’m about to have a bowl right now!”

IMG_9442.jpeg

Excellent source of fiber :laugh:
I’m alarmed (ok, not really :laugh: ) at the number of breakfast cereals here that have whole chunks of chocolate in them - not chocolate used like a binder, or a slight flavoring, just big ol’ pieces of chocolate, like the last thing they did in the taste trials was say, “You know, this is good, but it needs something else…hand me that Hershey’s bar. I’m gonna break it up and toss it in my bowl. That’s it, yeah!”

Every year, when Halloween and Christmas come around, I begin cringing at the increasingly cruddy products that appear on the market. Pumpkin Pie spice: cinnamon, nutmeg, ginger, cloves and allspice. Perhaps something else, but usually not. That's basically (without the allspice) an Indian masala, and yet the hyper marketing staff at multinational mass consumer companies truly believe they have just invented the wheel.
And don't get me started on "Limited Edition!". (Limited to 245,000,000 packets)

Every year, when Halloween and Christmas come around, I begin cringing at the increasingly cruddy products that appear on the market. Pumpkin Pie spice: cinnamon, nutmeg, ginger, cloves and allspice. Perhaps something else, but usually not. That's basically (without the allspice) an Indian masala, and yet the hyper marketing staff at multinational mass consumer companies truly believe they have just invented the wheel.
And don't get me started on "Limited Edition!". (Limited to 245,000,000 packets)
I am not a big fan of nutmeg, ginger, cloves, and allspice, though I do love cinnamon. I detest pumpkin pie! So yeah, I don't mind the smell of those spices but I don't like them in my tummy. Oh, but I do like ginger when it's paired with garlic, honey, and citrus quite well.

Back
Top Bottom