How to ruin a hot dog!!

He is a good writer. Personally I don't have a problem with a sausage sandwich with the works, just don't call it a hot dog. What is the etymology of "banger?" How did the sausage get a name like that?

Found it. Apparently the term originated during the first world war in the British army. The sausages we so laden with water that they were likely to explode when cooked. Gotta love that.

Found it. Apparently the term originated during the first world war in the British army. The sausages we so laden with water that they were likely to explode when cooked. Gotta love that.
You beat me to it. That is correct 😁

Skinless hot dogs are what your usual supermarket dogs are, and it’s not to be taken as some cheap thing - premium dogs like Nathan’s come in skinless, and while I don’t have the numbers to back it up, I’m confident that skinless dogs outsell cased ones by a large margin.

Oscar-Meyer, Kahn’s, Ball Park…they’re all skinless. It’s basically like eating a tube of bologna.

Afraid I’m still lost, I don’t know those brands 😂

The frankfurters here have skins on them, thin skins that give that ‘snap’ as you bite through.
Here skinless means absolutely no skin.

I’m thinking skinless dogs in the US still have a skin but you have ones with thicker skins too?

2b. Hot dog with chili sauce/coney sauce, with mustard and raw onion, may include shredded cheese, depending on the sauce. That’s a mid-level hot dog as well.
My hot dog heaven. LOL

Chili cheese dog "all the way" (whole-wheat bun, bead of Tabasco brand hot & spicy mustard, (NOT chili sauce) homemade Chili (with beans cause that’s the way we like our chili), shredded cheddar and chopped raw yellow onion.

chili_cheese_dog_010812_1_P1090285.JPG

Or second choice is mustard, and kraut (sometimes onion and tomato hot dog topping added).

Not water, fat and cheap fillers like bread that expanded rapidly and bust the casings.
With rationing there was an obviously a shortage of meat.

Last edited:
But that looks like a skin. Or is that creasing or the end the indentation of the casing in which they were cooked?
I've always been confused by this too. There "has" to be a skin at some point, because hotdogs are like Bologna before hand. It's kind of a "paste-like" consistency and it keeps it's shape by putting it into a "skin, or casing" then cooked so it holds its shape. Maybe it's a different kind of casing? I know there are natural and synthetic, but I don't know the science behind hotdogs. I just eat them and help contribute to the destroying of evidence by consuming them. I think this is how they got rid of Jimmy Hoffa....

Just found a photo of the Swedish Kitchen Hot Dog I split with a work colleague:

20240802_111715038_iOS.png

It was very tasty and very filling - the hot dog itself is £6 or (as shown above) £9.50 with seasoned fries.

Would you say this is a ruined one too?

Not water, fat and cheap fillers like bread that expanded rapidly and bust the casings.
With rationing there was an obviously a shortage of meat.
Funny how terms vary from one place to another. A banger is a slang term in the U.S. I won't post its meaning here, :)

Funny how terms vary from one place to another. A banger is a slang term in the U.S. I won't post its meaning here, :)
Well words travel, the original one beginning with gang appeared here in the 50’s which is also known as a banger.
Then there’s a banger as in the violent type of attack (that ones defo an American import).
Then there’s an old wrecked car that’s also a banger.
And of course the sausage.
So we have for types of banger 😂
There’s nothing Brits like more than messing with words to cause confusion and amusement 😆

Back
Top Bottom