How to ruin a hot dog!!

No, they don’t have a skin. It’s a fully-cooked product. We used to eat them cold from the fridge as a snack.

View attachment 119284
That is a skin (casing) isn’t it?
The thin edible hot dog type. The meat emulsion could not form that shape without it and that does not looked like it’s been peeled off?

So what’s the other type?
I’m wondering if the translation for us is edible and non edible casings? Maybe they’re a bit more like a savaloy?

Last edited:
What does skinless beef frank mean?

Want to Choose the Best Hot Dogs? Learn What the Labels Mean ...

Casings are made either from collagen that is naturally present in the intestines of an animal, or from processed collagen that's extracted from other animal parts. Hot dogs may be labeled “skinless,” which means that the casing has been removed after cooking.Jun 27, 2017

Want to Choose the Best Hot Dogs? Learn What the Labels Mean​

1. Hot dog and mustard. That’s it. Nothing else. Doesn’t need anything else.
2a. Hot dog and mustard with kraut. That’s a mid-level hot dog.
2b. Hot dog with chili sauce/coney sauce, with mustard and raw onion, may include shredded cheese, depending on the sauce. That’s a mid-level hot dog as well.
There's nothing better (to me) than 2b. in the dog world, and I like those at baseball games. I haven't been to a baseball game since 2001, so haven't had a hot dog since then.

I do have fond memories of my mom cutting them in half and wrapping them in pastry (those crescent roll flats that came rolled up in the tube) and baked. I liked those when I was about 10. No idea if I would like them now though.

I wonder if the people who work there still eat hot dogs? 😆
It's one of the reasons I don't. I have never seen those photos before but when I was in my teens my dad used to say that hot dogs were made out of "ears, snouts, tongues, and anything else that hits the butcher's floor" and that was enough for me!

Well words travel, the original one beginning with gang appeared here in the 50’s which is also known as a banger.
Then there’s a banger as in the violent type of attack (that ones defo an American import).
Then there’s an old wrecked car that’s also a banger.
And of course the sausage.
So we have for types of banger 😂
There’s nothing Brits like more than messing with words to cause confusion and amusement 😆
Errr, it has bawdy sexual connotations in the US, so that would be #1? Although it doesn't have to involve a gang (which would be pretty awful).

Errr, it has bawdy sexual connotations in the US, so that would be #1? Although it doesn't have to involve a gang (which would be pretty awful).
Yer no 1is pretty awful but I think that’s where no 2’s violent version came from.
There’s a version of gang bang in many different languages going long back in history.
I only know this because when I was a kid I thought a gang bang sounded like a fun party, apparently not.

Genuine hot dogs are exactly how Jay Rayner describes them. They' re street food, like tacos, empanadas, samosas, pakoras. a sausage, a roll, sauce, mustard, onions - that's it, basically.Elevating them into something " gourmet" is like trying to turn Katie Price into the Princess Royal. Plus, at 19 - 22 quid a shot, I think Harrod's is pulling someone's chain; or waiting for another gullible idiot to cough up!
Here's a photo from a few years back (at the Cincinnati Reds stadium) of me devouring a Cinci ball park hotdog. Another thing off my bucket list! This particular one had onions and grilled bell peppers, I seem to recall.
View attachment 119276
Most of the times when peppers and onions are on it, it has a sausage rather than a hot dog. I'd never seen those as additions to a hot dog before but I might like that.

There's nothing better (to me) than 2b. in the dog world, and I like those at baseball games. I haven't been to a baseball game since 2001, so haven't had a hot dog since then.

I do have fond memories of my mom cutting them in half and wrapping them in pastry (those crescent roll flats that came rolled up in the tube) and baked. I liked those when I was about 10. No idea if I would like them now though.
That's basically pig in a blanket! 🥰 I made those all the time when I was a hyper little terrorist.

That's basically pig in a blanket! 🥰 I made those all the time when I was a hyper little terrorist.
Yes, that's what mom called them (I grew up in Florida) but here in northeast Ohio, it can mean sausages wrapped in pancakes, so...I dunno.

It's amazing how different things can be called by different names in different parts of the same country. Like in certain parts of Texas, all sodas (or pop) are called Cokes. So if you wanted an orange soda, you might ask for an Orange Coke and it's not going to have any Coke in it.

Sorry for going off-topic.

Back
Top Bottom