Plans for today (2023)

When are you actually planning to retire? I thought you had a few years left.

CD
That’s true, I do, but I can work from anywhere. My manager’s manager (he used to be my direct manager), he’s 67, and he moved to The Villages (Florida) 10 years or so ago.

That’s true, I do, but I can work from anywhere. My manager’s manager (he used to be my direct manager), he’s 67, and he moved to The Villages (Florida) 10 years or so ago.

Oh, so he moved to The Villages. White Boomer paradise. God, guns and golf... and STDs. :eek:

I can't see you there -- EVER. :laugh:

CD

I went on a quick errand this morning, came home, and stayed inside. It was 108F/42C this afternoon.

I'm hoping it cools off enough to finish a project I started last evening outside. I'm replacing three outdoor lights in my backyard. I have one almost done, but I needed something from Home Depot to finish it.** If I get that one done, I'll leave the the other two for cooler weather.

CD

** No home improvement/repair job is ever done without at least one trip to the hardware store to get something you didn't know you needed. That, and getting at least fifteen tools from the garage, one tool at a time.

Oh, so he moved to The Villages. White Boomer paradise. God, guns and golf... and STDs. :eek:

I can't see you there -- EVER. :laugh:

CD
I was surprised when he moved there, because he doesn’t really fit the demographic, especially politically, but he and his wife love it. She’s a few years younger than he is, and she works for The Villages as well.

They’re into their third house there now. Just had it built.

BTW, it turned into nearly 10 hours in the car today, weather and traffic delays.

in 1970-72, my family lived in Pittsburgh, and we would visit my grandparents in NJ. We would go thought a long tunnel (at least how I remember it) through the mountains. Is that still the way people go?

CD

in 1970-72, my family lived in Pittsburgh, and we would visit my grandparents in NJ. We would go thought a long tunnel (at least how I remember it) through the mountains. Is that still the way people go?

CD
That sounds like you were on the PA turnpike (toll road) - there are a handful of tunnels through the mountains there, and yes, that’s theoretically the most direct way to get through that area.

The other option is to drop down a bit, just over the PA border, and take I-68, which is also mountainous, but the road goes up and over them instead of through them.

The PA turnpike is annoying because it’s an interstate, but it’s not very straight, and the speed constantly fluctuates between 45mph and 70mph, and those 45mph turns are pretty sharp, people (and trucks) don’t slow down until it’s too late, and they crash.

I-68 is stunning, absolutely breathtaking in places, because you get up around 3,000ft in some spots, and you can see half the country, it seems, but you go from the car screaming climbing the mountain, then flying down the other side at 90mph…and the tractor-trailers can be a little alarming at times. There are a few grades steep enough they have to pull over and have their brakes checked first, and there are several runaway truck chutes along the roadside.

My favorite little part of that is at the top of one grade, it’s signposted as a 9% grade and instructs trucks to use low gear. Then, at the first exit down the mountain, there’s a sign that says, “Runaway trucks - do not take exit - exit 12% grade” - so take the lesser of two evils. :laugh:

This is the second trip in a row where the PA turnpike was either completely closed or so delayed that we had to drop down to Maryland and take I-68.

What I hate about that is, starting in PA, it’s an hour drive south to 68, then a few hours on 68 going west into West Virginia, then you have to drive an hour north, back into PA, up around Washington, PA, make a little loop, and drop right back down and hour south again, right back into West Virginia, before you can pick up the interstate into Ohio. It’s the only/fastest way to go, and it’s so stupidly laid out, it just pizzes you off for that couple of hours of forced backtracking.

At granddaughters netball final for 3rd place. Boys all finished up rugby.
One rugby prize giving. Tonight.
I think we are going??
Picking up raspberry canes. Wife bought on line.

Russ

Today's plan, or at least part of it, is currently in the oven. Aubergine chips or eggplant fries depending on your country of origin! It was meant to have been za'atar aubergine chips but despite knowing I have za'atar, I can't locate it anywhere, so I've changed to a mixed lot of variously coated aubergine chips (foccia, dukkah, alleppo, thyme, urfa biber).

Later today I'll make our evening meal of Karnıyarik (or Turkish stuffed aubergine with mince). I'm using vegan mince instead.

Plans today are strip a smoked chicken for chicken fettuccine later. Make tomato pasta sauce up for same. Make garlic butter up with 1 lb. Of butter. That will take until 2ish?
Then i need to look for my trowel, last used about 20 years ago. To repair a hole that has been filled but needs final touches.

Russ

Today's cooking plan not achieved, It was supposed to be the aubergine seafood dish (discussed elsewhere). I was ambushed by mega migraine and minor irritating domestic issues. Tomorrow is last chance saloon if I'm to enter it for the current challenge!
I'm with you on that one as well. My planned evening meal was side tracked and is now happening today. Somehow I have to cook it and write it up today.. I've 6 aubergines in the fridge. 4 will be for this evening meal.

Back
Top Bottom