Plans for today (2023)

I have a medical appointment in town today, so the plan is to eat lunch out. The only issue is that the closest cafe doesn't serve the lunch menu until 12pm. Between 11am & 12pm it doesn't serve food, but if my pain consultant runs on time (sometimes he's even early and you can be out before your original appointment time) we'll be at the cafe for 11:30am. The other cafe we would use doesn't open on a Monday at all, so I suspect we'll end up in the city centre and a vegan cafe that does excellent snacks! Such a shame.

One of the things I was excited about when we moved to our current house is that there was a drive-in theater in town - one of only two in probably 100-mile radius.

We went to a couple (the thought of one is always better than the actual experience, though), and then it shut down…not two years after we moved here.

It’s up for sale right now, and has been for a few years ($450K), and if I were a billionaire and didn’t care about losing money, I’d open it back up and have a lot of fun with that.

We went to a drive in movie outfit just outside cairns Australia about 15 years ago.
It was a cool night and a first for us.

Russ

I haven't left the house today, which suits me fine.

As soon as the sun goes down, I need to water my steel gate post in ten minute soaks every hour. The driveway gate was scraping the pavement yesterday. I had to help the gate opener open and close the gate. I can't run the water during the day due to water restrictions.

Why am I watering a steel post?

If you look at the post on the right, the clay soil around it has dried out and shrunk enough for the post to lean left, allowing the gate to scrape the driveway (if you look closely, you can see the scrapes on the concrete on the left side). There is a black garden hose running to to the post that I use to water the soil so that it will swell up and straighten the post.

1693779197053.jpeg

CD

Last edited:
Have to take the wife back to the doc to see about the foot at 10am. And take the kid to the Gym at 9.30. Looks like another "I Am A Taxi" day...

I haven't left the house today, which suits me fine.

As soon as the sun goes down, I need to water my steel gate post in ten minute soaks every hour. The driveway gate was scraping the pavement yesterday. I had to help the gate opener open and close the gate. I can't run the water during the day due to water restrictions.

Why am I watering a steel post?

If you look at the post on the right, the clay soil around it has dried out and shrunk enough for the post to lean left, allowing the gate to scrape the driveway (if you look closely, you can see the scrapes on the concrete on the left side). There is a black garden hose running to to the post that I use to water the soil so that it will swell up and straighten the post.

View attachment 104503

CD
That's a wide gate. I see that the ground has shifted also..not sure where it began but it either came up by the house or dropped by the post..Can you just remount it a few inches up and put a wheel on it? You can fill in the holes with bondo and repaint

That's a wide gate. I see that the ground has shifted also..not sure where it began but it either came up by the house or dropped by the post..Can you just remount it a few inches up and put a wheel on it? You can fill in the holes with bondo and repaint

Once it starts raining again, the clay soil with swell up, and post will straighten. During the winter, I'm going to have a welder do some bracing on the post to help it stay straight during drought seasons, which seem to be every summer these days.

The gate is 11-feet wide. It swings toward the back. Remounting the gate won't work without a bunch of welding. Nothing is bolted together except the gate opener. A wheel won't work because the driveway is pitched to the center to funnel water to the street.

CD

I had planned the day furiously putting together dozens of cocktail snacks. However, the client (who wanted an "immediate" answer and spent the weekend bugging me whilst I frantically put together a proposal for "60 guests, lots of food, etc., etc. My 60th birthday - I want a really memorable party!!"
Yesterday morning I got a curt e-mail saying " I haven't got a budget for those, so I'm not interested". My quote (since I'm not a Catering Company) was less than half what a catering company would ask).
Last time she ever gets a proposal from me.
An aside: parties in Caracas often involve loads and loads of "pasapalos" (aka cocktail snacks, amuse bouche, tapas, botanos, finger food). Pasapalo literally means "something to help the drinks down". The standard recommendation is for 24-30 "pasapalos" per person, because we DO know how to party here and it's quite possible there are still folks partying at 3am.

I had planned the day furiously putting together dozens of cocktail snacks. However, the client (who wanted an "immediate" answer and spent the weekend bugging me whilst I frantically put together a proposal for "60 guests, lots of food, etc., etc. My 60th birthday - I want a really memorable party!!"
Yesterday morning I got a curt e-mail saying " I haven't got a budget for those, so I'm not interested". My quote (since I'm not a Catering Company) was less than half what a catering company would ask).
Last time she ever gets a proposal from me.
An aside: parties in Caracas often involve loads and loads of "pasapalos" (aka cocktail snacks, amuse bouche, tapas, botanos, finger food). Pasapalo literally means "something to help the drinks down". The standard recommendation is for 24-30 "pasapalos" per person, because we DO know how to party here and it's quite possible there are still folks partying at 3am.

Pick and choose who you deal with. I wouldn't deal with people I never liked.

Russ

Pick and choose who you deal with. I wouldn't deal with people I never liked.
She's the boss of a very dear friend who, unfortunately, seems to pick abusive and arrogant employers. It was my friend who first contacted me. But as you say - never again.

Back
Top Bottom