Plans for today (2024)

S
That was such a nice party! They really had a great feast laid out--my husband's cousin smoked a brisket and a pork shoulder, plus there were baked beans and potato salad, cole slaw, a platter of mixed fruit, and a cornbread casserole, and someone made this Buffalo chicken dip that I have had before that was really good. Whoever made it put a lot of thought into it and made it with real chicken breast (some people tend to use canned) and made it not too spicy since there were quite a few kids there. I had a brisket sandwich and some of my mashed potatoes, plus a bit of the Buffalo chicken dip with tortilla chips and was very happy with that (not a fan of a lot of the other foods though I would have eaten some of that pulled pork and the cornbread casserole if I'd had more of an appetite).

It was so cute to watch my husband's cousin's baby boy dive into his smash cake when we all sang happy birthday to him. That kid is such a dream. He rarely cries and he is a good eater...and he is such a handsome child, big blue eyes and long eyelashes, chubby cheeks and big smile! I also got to hang out with a lot of my DH's family who I have known for 25 years and hear some old stories about when my DH's aunts were young and how they were raised by their late parents, both of whom I adored. The aunts were a little tipsy and were just so much fun to be around. And my mashed potatoes were a big hit!
Sounds like a great day

Russ

Plans for today included repotting a whole pile of orchids and supervising the gardener.
Mission accomplished, and the garden is just beginning to look how it was when I left on the Everlasting Journey in 2020. Most of the orchids are gone, sadly, but I'm determined to save the few that are left.
Tomorrow is Presidential Election Day. Not a pleasant thought. I'm planning on voting really early (about 7am) then shutting myself in the house for the rest of the day.

Plans for today included repotting a whole pile of orchids and supervising the gardener.
Mission accomplished, and the garden is just beginning to look how it was when I left on the Everlasting Journey in 2020. Most of the orchids are gone, sadly, but I'm determined to save the few that are left.
Tomorrow is Presidential Election Day. Not a pleasant thought. I'm planning on voting really early (about 7am) then shutting myself in the house for the rest of the day.
I have an unrelated question for you:

How many holes does it take to fill the Albert Hall? I have always wondered that, and since I believe you sang there, you might know?

How many holes does it take to fill the Albert Hall? I have always wondered that, and since I believe you sang there, you might know?
The Albert Hall has 5,272 seats, apparently. I don't know how many of them have holes in them. :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
It was a (very) long time ago, but I do remember singing the Bach B minor Mass, the St Matthew Passion, Handel's Messiah and, Beethoven's 9th symphony ( the choral bit, of course!) . It was all fun and games those days - 21,22 years old. Never gave it a thought!
(And never did it again after I left Uni!)

That was such a nice party! They really had a great feast laid out--my husband's cousin smoked a brisket and a pork shoulder, plus there were baked beans and potato salad, cole slaw, a platter of mixed fruit, and a cornbread casserole, and someone made this Buffalo chicken dip that I have had before that was really good. Whoever made it put a lot of thought into it and made it with real chicken breast (some people tend to use canned) and made it not too spicy since there were quite a few kids there. I had a brisket sandwich and some of my mashed potatoes, plus a bit of the Buffalo chicken dip with tortilla chips and was very happy with that (not a fan of a lot of the other foods though I would have eaten some of that pulled pork and the cornbread casserole if I'd had more of an appetite).

It was so cute to watch my husband's cousin's baby boy dive into his smash cake when we all sang happy birthday to him. That kid is such a dream. He rarely cries and he is a good eater...and he is such a handsome child, big blue eyes and long eyelashes, chubby cheeks and big smile! I also got to hang out with a lot of my DH's family who I have known for 25 years and hear some old stories about when my DH's aunts were young and how they were raised by their late parents, both of whom I adored. The aunts were a little tipsy and were just so much fun to be around. And my mashed potatoes were a big hit!
I read this and wish I was there 🥰

I got exactly what she asked for, she even texted me a pic…and somehow, I’ve still managed to get the wrong thing. :scratchhead:
Tricky, the wide berth thing, can work but it can also get you in big trouble if you’re deemed inattentive.
I have tightrope I can lend you? 😆

Last edited:
Bach B minor Mass, the St Matthew Passion, Handel's Messiah and, Beethoven's 9th symphony ( the choral bit, of course!)
How splendid! Congratulations! So you were a classically trained musician?
Marvelous! What was your main course, instrument? If I may ask.

We sang at our city's largest hall (1850 seats), long long time ago, was 18 or so.

Messiah, yes, Beethoven 9th, yes, did too, Bach not, not yet. When I retire I might join a choir.😊

As music students we sang the Mahler 8th Symphony choir. That was breathtaking. A picture of the whole lot of us was magnified to a whole wall, and was hanging in the Teachers' Room. When delivering a paper or so, we managed to find our heads, tiny as penball tips, on it.

At home I played the recording of the Bach Cantata 51 for the soul of my Dad's boyfriend, so angelic.

How splendid! Congratulations! So you were a classically trained musician?
Marvelous! What was your main course, instrument? If I may ask.
I did a degree in music at Goldsmiths, London. Bass baritone.
As soon as I arrived in 1972, I was invited to join the London Bach Society, founded by my professor,Paul Steinitz. Paul was also one of the most notable Bach scholars of the 20th century.

I did a degree in music at Goldsmiths, London. Bass baritone.
As soon as I arrived in 1972, I was invited to join the London Bach Society, founded by my professor,Paul Steinitz. Paul was also one of the most notable Bach scholars of the 20th century.
Remarkable! Congratulations!
Did you join them?

Did you join them?
Oh yes - that's how I ended up in the Albert Hall!!
We sang everywhere in London: Albert Hall, Royal Festival Hall, Wigmore Hall, Southwark Cathedral, Westminster Cathedral, St Paul's Cathedral. Then in 1974, we went on a semi-pro Choir tour of the USA. 23 concerts in 24 days, including events in Chicago, Ann Arbor, Ohio, Minneapolis, Charlottesville, Washington and NY.

23 concerts in 24 days,
Goodness! That is tiring, vocal chords need rest too, so do you, but youth can handle much, can't it!
But congrats!!! That is fantastic!
Wow.

Did you know that I worked with opera singers for 2,3 years full time? Fascinating times. What the human voice can produce.

I would say, as a ( core to core to core) pianist, my love would be the classicism ( Beethoven) and romanticism (Brahms and others), baroque very much ( Haendel, Bach), but not primarily.

Now as a teacher, I am thrilled to watch students absolutely loving baroque music.

And how did you come to exit the music career?

Did you know that I worked with opera singers for 2,3 years full time?
I had no idea at all that we're both classical musicians!
To be brief; I graduated and spent almost a year looking for work in the music business but, alas, it was not to be. Eventually, I got a job teaching English.
Anyway...Back on topic...
Today I went to vote, early. My plans involved making some guava jam, a white chocolate cheesecake and a vegetarian lasagna. Great plans, none of them completed, but tomorrow is another day!

Back
Top Bottom