Plans for today (2024)

Tamarind
View attachment 117477

Peeled etc and boiled.
Now waiting for the lot to cool down so I can remove pips. By hand.
Then a quick boil again and pack in old vinegar bottles to last till next harvest
I still have a bottle from last year, so maybe I keep it at this.
Tamarind chicken on the menu tonight
View attachment 117478

Great you have the time. We love it with curry.

Russ

I've never tasted it. I've seen jarred stuff in the international food section of the grocery store but never bought any.
It's a sharp fruity taste. Great with tomatoes and a tad of sweetness (sugar or palm sugar etc).

I have also eaten the sweet version of it and they were yummy. Similar to (proper fresh) dates which I love.

It's a sharp fruity taste. Great with tomatoes and a tad of sweetness (sugar or palm sugar etc).

I have also eaten the sweet version of it and they were yummy. Similar to (proper fresh) dates which I love.
Ahhh. I'm not fond of dates, raisins, prunes, and the like. I know it can be used in recipes though so I might like the paste mixed with other ingredients.

Getting ready for kids and grandkids
Slightly different tonight
Leg lamb I will slice when required
Smorgasburg including dauphinois, steamed pumpkin, baby carrots, corn from our garden and rich brown gravy.
Everyone will help.themselves.

Russ

Ahhh. I'm not fond of dates, raisins, prunes, and the like. I know it can be used in recipes though so I might like the paste mixed with other ingredients.
I’ve used it twice, for the same dish - a very time-consuming and labor-intensive pad Thai recipe from America’s Test Kitchen.

I like the dish, get a hankering for it, buy a jar of tamarind paste, make the dish, which is delicious but a real pain to do, then swear I’m never going to do it again, and three years later, looking around, I find that jar of paste and think, “Hey…I should make that pad Thai recipe!”

Plans for today, hopefully boyfriend will be able to borrow his brother's car to come visit, we planned a 7 km walk around the lake, not having met in person for 3 days, since he left his car for repair.

Plans for next two weeks, education daily out of town with a 60 min commute there and 60 min back. M8ght be posting less...but not necessarily, we'll see how it pans out.

Back to uni tomorrow and an exam on Wednesday (programming in python 3).

Still juggling normal lectures, hubby away on Tuesday, chooks and me being 'crook' myself. I do feel better than I did but still not even 75%. Slept for an extra 3hrs today despite my steroids being doubled.

Tomorrow they go down to 150% for 2 days.

Yeah, I'm spending the time now and then have enough of it, ready to use, for a year or so
I might make a chutney as well
I love the stuff and it's used a lot in Indian food. the one time I actually prepared tamarind from scratch was in 2020. A friend gave me a whole SACK full of tamarind from her farm, and I probably spent a week shelling, soaking and making Tamarind chutney.
If you'd like a recipe, I've made it loads of times .

Back
Top Bottom