Plans for today (2024)

Any plans that I might have had today were thrown into disarray at 4.30am, when the electricity went off. A power cut across 17 states. That meant no tea in the morning, because everything in this house is electric. I tried to call a friend but there was no phone service either.
I only had $5 on me, so going to shop would have been absurd and, in fact, most stores stayed closed today.
The light came back at 3.30pm, by which time I was exhausted from climbing up the walls repeatedly. I went into the kitchen and made myself a pasta, watched a bit of TV, and now it's 7pm.

I read about that and wondered if you were affected. Sorry you were. Our house is all electric, and it’s downright dangerous when the power goes on a cold winter’s day.
We have a well so if we lose electricity we have no water. We do have gas so we could cook, but not having water is awful, and the furnace, even though it's gas, won't blow without electricity. We've only had power outages in warm weather thus far.

We have a well so if we lose electricity we have no water. We do have gas so we could cook, but not having water is awful, and the furnace, even though it's gas, won't blow without electricity. We've only had power outages in warm weather thus far.
Our next house will be a mix of power/fuel.

I was in town the other week and they are on 17 hours per day load shedding now (just means 17 hour powercut, but maybe loadshedding sounds better?)
Glad to be home on solar, cooking on gas, wood and charcoal, water from the river into a 5000 litre tank (30 minutes pump time with petrol water pump).
No water is worse than no electricity in my opinion, but I suppose that also depends on the climate

Okay a brief storm blew through about 20 minutes after my post about electricity and weirdly enough we temporarily lost power! For only about 5 minutes thankfully.

Still waiting for some avocados to ripen. Paint dries quickly in comparison.

Off to some orchard for cider-related activities today, then grocery shopping with MrsT, so prayers are necessary and appreciated (“Oh, look, double-fudge Oreo-stuffed Twinkies, rolled in strawberry-marshmallow rice crispy treats! Yes, please!”).
How many points is that? Or is WW a thing of the past?

How many points is that? Or is WW a thing of the past?
Her normal behavior is to buy it, then not eat it, because of the points.

Remember that box of Boo Berry cereal I posted a couple of weeks ago? It’s sitting on top of the fridge, next to a box of monster cereal from last year that hasn’t been opened yet, and is now more than three months past its sell by date.

Wasn’t planning on it today, but I reorganized one of my cupboards:

IMG_9243.jpeg

Going shortly to the grocery store. DH is going with me, which is a rare occurrence. At least he can't see well enough yet to do much impulse shopping so it should be fairly quick and easy. I only have a few things to pick up, and one of them is booze, which he can handle while I am grabbing some mushrooms and the rest (our grocery store has a liquor department).

I cleaned out one of my sink drains with baking soda and white vinegar, then flushed with boiling kettle water (wasn't a plan but needed done). I'll clean out the other side when we get back from the store. Thanks to kaneohegirlinaz for the reminder!

Just got home late after a gig. Off to bed. It's been a busy week. Last one of the summer before Labor Day. Three days off!! I've got some gardening, barbecuing and beer drinking to do tomorrow. I'm like a little kid on Christmas Eve!

Back
Top Bottom