Plans for today (2024)

I'm going to put a wire fence around my kitchen garden, so that Mr Porky can't get in and dig up all the plants.
Our first dog had a real love of tomatoes, and back then, I was planting them (and other vegetables) every year.

That first year we got her, I couldn’t figure out what was robbing us of our tomatoes, right off the vine, until I happened to look out the window after I’d put her out and saw her very deliberately and very delicately pulling them off the plants and having a snack!

That first year we got her, I couldn’t figure out what was robbing us of our tomatoes, right off the vine, until I happened to look out the window after I’d put her out and saw her very deliberately and very delicately pulling them off the plants and having a snack!
My chooks do the same but everything is already behind a fence. However that doesn't stop them sticking their head through the fence and try to reach whatever they can. Raspberries and strawberries are at the top of their favourites list, closely followed by tomatoes.

It is funny watching them try to get their heads back out...

Well yesterday morning I got up and started the dishwasher then laid back down for a short snooze. When I got up, the dishwasher had drained and there was water seeping out from under the cabinets. So DH was quite irritated with it being a holiday weekend and emergency plumbers aren't cheap--and neither of us were thrilled to wake up to cleaning up a mess. We had quite a bit of mopping up to do, then I took everything out from under the kitchen sink and wiped it out, then ran the water in both sides of the sink and disposer to rule that out. Yep, it's just the dishwasher drain lines--without pulling out the dishwasher I have no idea whether the connection is loose, the lines popped, or what, and neither of us have any kind of knowledge to take care of it anyway. I reassured DH that I was fine washing dishes by hand for a few days until someone could come out.

Then I thought about it and I texted his cousin A asking if he knew any reasonably priced plumbers and explained the problem. A is a pretty handy guy and said he could come look at it today (Monday Labor Day holiday) and he could probably fix it himself. I offered to pay him and he refused (we will just pay for any parts), so I invited him and his wife (and baby) over for dinner after. We have them over for dinner pretty often anyway, which is probably why he refused payment--he loves my cooking and we love spending time with them, they are so fun. Win win!

Out rock hounding for my tumbler. Below the dam at the river that runs through our town. Brings back memories. We used to come here on our bikes and smoke cigarettes back when we were bad little buggers.

IMG_4922.jpeg

Last edited:
Well yesterday morning I got up and started the dishwasher then laid back down for a short snooze. When I got up, the dishwasher had drained and there was water seeping out from under the cabinets. So DH was quite irritated with it being a holiday weekend and emergency plumbers aren't cheap--and neither of us were thrilled to wake up to cleaning up a mess. We had quite a bit of mopping up to do, then I took everything out from under the kitchen sink and wiped it out, then ran the water in both sides of the sink and disposer to rule that out. Yep, it's just the dishwasher drain lines--without pulling out the dishwasher I have no idea whether the connection is loose, the lines popped, or what, and neither of us have any kind of knowledge to take care of it anyway. I reassured DH that I was fine washing dishes by hand for a few days until someone could come out.

Then I thought about it and I texted his cousin A asking if he knew any reasonably priced plumbers and explained the problem. A is a pretty handy guy and said he could come look at it today (Monday Labor Day holiday) and he could probably fix it himself. I offered to pay him and he refused (we will just pay for any parts), so I invited him and his wife (and baby) over for dinner after. We have them over for dinner pretty often anyway, which is probably why he refused payment--he loves my cooking and we love spending time with them, they are so fun. Win win!
So cousin A found the problem, indeed it is the drain line (cracked) from the dishwasher and he just ran up to Home Depot to get another one and put it in. Easy fix!

We ran into such a mess of uncoordination with my boyfriend's orthopedic appointment.
We had it scheduled 2 months in advance. I checked with him several times. I treat him to the cost of both examination and insoles.

At the end it was not his rash that was the problem, it were builders' team for his Dad's grave, that his Mom has ordered, obviously without checking up with him previously.

his brother could not step in, he obviously did not say loud and clear he is busy this afternoon. And Bob's your uncle.

I do get the importance of the grave building, and misscomunication can happen, but still, I thought and said it was very irresponsible and unserious and very badly coordinated on their part.

My intention was to support his health, and aid financially. It isn't very nice to jumble out someone's gift that way.

I did not want to cancel, so I went, and ordered a 2nd pair of insoles for me. They really do a great job. I apologised to the clinics, explained, it is a rough time, a month after parent's death, I know, I get that, everybody gets that...and it was smooth sailing. They will still earn, so no loss. I felt that was responsible of me to do so.

He came for coffee afterwards, later, and we talked through, every family has different dynamics, I guess, it's life, learn and move on.

Last edited:
Have trapped the thing in my neck that gives me a headache with occasional shooting pains in my head. Not a lot of fun, I'm off for a lie down!

Hope its getting better. I keep having a similar issue in my upper back with a trapped nerve. I've been stting with cool packs against my back for two days now. Its annoying as I haven't managed to do anything I planned to do today (which is make an avocado dish for the challenge and clean the kitchen floor).

I am going to pick up my prescriptions and an online order placed for vitamins at the same pharmacy shortly, then taking DH to FedEx. Hoping he is able to get the hang of driving soon.

I got a text from my elderly aunt (turns 89 in October) this morning stating she was bending over and cracked or fractured a verterbra. She was at the hospital getting an MRI and is supposed to give me an update later. One of the reasons I started taking calcium supplements before I started showing signs of osteopenia (which my aunt has).

Back
Top Bottom