Plans for today (2024)

She could read braille and I used to be able to read a bit but not very well. I think maybe I was more aware of sounds and spacial hazards than most kids might have been. But my career was in the visual arts.
How extraordinary! I just thought about it today.
Almost like the deafness of my parents, and my career in music.
You know, when you both posted about that awhile ago, I mentioned to my husband how I found that interesting but not too surprising.

Today will be a TOEFL class at 11am, followed by a trip to take some picalilli to a friend who's "addicted" to it :laugh: :laugh:
After that, no idea!
So you are teaching English as a foreign language. At least you speak Spanish. I did one semester of that at Seoul National University. I didn't speak a word of Korean but I had a text and lesson plan prepared for me and the students were smart and attentive so we got through the course. It was good to get away from the Army for a day each week. I have a niece in law who does it for a living. she spent years in Japan teaching English. She is working in the headquarters of the company now. Good that you are doing it.

So you are teaching English as a foreign language. At least you speak Spanish.
Yep - still teaching after 50 years. the first thing I did when I came to Caracas was learn the language; properly. Also speak French and a smattering of Italian/German. IMHO, it's a basic courtesy when in a foreign country to at least attempt to speak the language.
No classes today. In fact, no plans at all today apart from taking the car to the mechanic.

Yep - still teaching after 50 years. the first thing I did when I came to Caracas was learn the language; properly. Also speak French and a smattering of Italian/German. IMHO, it's a basic courtesy when in a foreign country to at least attempt to speak the language.
No classes today. In fact, no plans at all today apart from taking the car to the mechanic.
Bien hecho, profesor.

Oh, so I gather you were in service? Impressive. How long did you serve? If I may ask.
I must have missed it elsewhere in your posts.
I was drafted into the Army in 1967 and was sent to Korea following the capture of the U.S. Navy ship Pueblo by North Korea. I served only 19 months because Korea is considered a hardship tour so I could muster out instead of having a reassignment. It was a benefit of leaving a hardship tour with 5 months or less less of service remaining.

One day I was in a popular park in Seoul when a young man and his girlfriend came up to me to practice their English. We spent about an hour chatting. He asked to meet me again the following week so I did. At that point he told me that the English instructor at the university that he attended was out for the semester to recover from surgery and asked if I could fill in. I checked with the boss who told me to go ahead. The Army liked opportunities for service men to mingle with Korean civilians. So I agreed to do it.

It turns out that the young man's mother was a noted author in South Korea and his family invited me to dinner at their home. I still have a copy of what was her latest book signed by her that she gave me at the dinner. I can't read a word of it but I appreciated it and consider it a personal treasure. That's the story.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom