Plans for today (2024)

Well, afternoon tea cancelled, power still out and not coming on any time soon, fridge stuff is a lost cause and now just hoping we can salvage the freezer contents.

That’s the plan for today. That, and sit in the dark. But…it could be a lot worse. In the end, it’s just a (mildly expensive) inconvenience.
I had just mentioned in another thread how after a hurricane when I was a kid where we lost power for several days, my mom fired up the grill and cooked all the thawed meat and fed the neighbor's. Are they without power too? If you don't like your neighbors, can you take it to a homeless shelter?

Your fridge stuff should still be okay unless you've been opening it a lot.
USDA says four hours for unopened fridge, 48 hours for full unopened freezer. We’ve not opened either.

We’re at 23 hours right now. We’ve gone as far as 8 hours with a fridge before, but we’re so far past that, the fridge stuff is lost, which isn’t that much - couple of packs of lunchmeat, 1/4 gallon of milk, maybe a pound of cheese, a few other things. I’m more concerned about the freezer, which is chock full, so I should be good for another day, but…the county emergency services just sent a text to say it could take several days to get power back on for everyone.

Annoying, but that’s life. It could be a lot worse.

I had just mentioned in another thread how after a hurricane when I was a kid where we lost power for several days, my mom fired up the grill and cooked all the thawed meat and fed the neighbor's. Are they without power too? If you don't like your neighbors, can you take it to a homeless shelter?
I’ve got another day on the freezer, so the neighbors and the homeless will have to hold their horses for now…and it’s pouring rain, so I wouldn’t be inclined to stand out there grilling, anyway.

Nearly all my neighbors have generators, so they’re ok, and I’d guess the ones who don’t would be firing up their own grills, if it weren’t pouring down rain.

MrsT is at her worst in power outages. They really anger her, and she’s a grumpy bear right now. I read her that suggestion of feeding the neighbors, and considering they’ve all recently received either food or assistance or both from us, and no one has come over to offer up some freezer space, her response was…quite unkind, to say the least. :laugh:

I’ve got another day on the freezer, so the neighbors and the homeless will have to hold their horses for now…and it’s pouring rain, so I wouldn’t be inclined to stand out there grilling, anyway.

Nearly all my neighbors have generators, so they’re ok, and I’d guess the ones who don’t would be firing up their own grills, if it weren’t pouring down rain.

MrsT is at her worst in power outages. They really anger her, and she’s a grumpy bear right now. I read her that suggestion of feeding the neighbors, and considering they’ve all recently received either food or assistance or both from us, and no one has come over to offer up some freezer space, her response was…quite unkind, to say the least. :laugh:
I don't know whether to laugh or cry at MrsT's reaction but it's certainly understandable. We got a lot of rain yesterday but nothing today. I am sure those bands will continue to cycle and we will get some more at some point before it's all over. And I am sure you aren't a happy camper either, you worked hard on the afternoon tea and I know you had a pretty nice freezer cache going there. I would be pretty miserable myself. I do like that we have a gas stove so I could cook without electricity, but since we have a pump for our well water which of course is run by electricity, we would be without water which is just unbearable so we would be in a hotel. And I have a chest freezer in the garage chock full of meat and seafood, so yeah.

Just be glad we live in a moderate climate, can you imagine all those poor folks down south right now who don't have electricity (or a generator) in the stinking heat? My brother lost power Thursday night but he has a generator...it wouldn't be a bad investment, I think I am going to mention it to DH. One never knows.

Here's to hoping your power comes back on sooner than CES thinks and your freezer food is saved.

I don't know whether to laugh or cry at MrsT's reaction but it's certainly understandable.
Ripped from the Tasty Neighborhood headlines, just now:

Neighbor text: “Hey, can you go walk your property and see if my boat cover blew over there?”

Keep in mind, it’s pouring rain and the yard is saturated.

I read that to MrsT, and she said, “Tell him you can’t right now because you’re trying to keep your food from thawing!” - I cleaned that up a bit. :laugh:

Neighbor across the road had a heart attack about 10 days ago. Ambulance to local hospital and airlifted to the city.

We watered their flowers and grabbed their mail until he was released, and they haven’t even said thanks. I can hear their generator purring away, though…

Ripped from the Tasty Neighborhood headlines, just now:

Neighbor text: “Hey, can you go walk your property and see if my boat cover blew over there?”

Keep in mind, it’s pouring rain and the yard is saturated.

I read that to MrsT, and she said, “Tell him you can’t right now because you’re trying to keep your food from thawing!” - I cleaned that up a bit. :laugh:

Neighbor across the road had a heart attack about 10 days ago. Ambulance to local hospital and airlifted to the city.

We watered their flowers and grabbed their mail until he was released, and they haven’t even said thanks. I can hear their generator purring away, though…
And I thought it was only the very much younger generations (like teens and early 20s without fully developed frontal lobes) that had a lot of self-centered and ungrateful butt-heads (see I cleaned up mine, too).

Glad we don't have a usda!
No ways I consider stuff in the fridge unsafe after just 4 hours of no power!

Anyway, your plan for the day should be trying to eat everything in your fridge while contemplating suitable punishment to your neighbours (whose attitude I reallly can't understand)

And I thought it was only the very much younger generations (like teens and early 20s without fully developed frontal lobes) that had a lot of self-centered and ungrateful butt-heads (see I cleaned up mine, too).
I’m operating under the assumption that they’re originally from Not The Midwest, as around these parts, here’s how it should go:

Hey, Tasty, I see you don’t have a generator…you need to store anything in our fridge or freezer?

Oh no, don’t worry about it, I don’t want to be any trouble, I’m sure you need all your space.

No, really, it’s fine. Really, we have plenty of room, just bag it up and bring it over, or I can send one of the boys over to help.

No, no, that’s real nice of you…are you sure you have a little room to spare? Are you sure?

Yeah, sure, we have room, as long as it’s not a side of beef, haha, just bring it on over!

Well…if you’re really sure, maybe I can put a few things in there…

At this point, I jam in the entire contents of my fridge and freezer, they say it’s fine, and as soon as I’m out of earshot:

Geez-louise, I didn’t mean for him to bring everything over, nothing I can do about it now. That’s what neighbors are for…let’s go see if Jim can fit in some of the stuff we had to take out for Tasty’s stuff…

See, now that’s how it’s supposed to work! :laugh:

1727552296684.png

We’re at the red dot. Of all the states without power, we’re #5. The other four are all in the Southeast (South Carolina, North Carolina, etc).

Glad we don't have a usda!
No ways I consider stuff in the fridge unsafe after just 4 hours of no power!

Anyway, your plan for the day should be trying to eat everything in your fridge while contemplating suitable punishment to your neighbours (whose attitude I reallly can't understand)
I pretty much ignore most of what the USDA says, LOL. Throw leftovers out after 3 days? Not me (unless it's seafood). I generally give the sniff test. And I tend to think that the date listed on a lot of packaged goods is a suggested "best by" even if it states to use by a certain date.

People here keep the refrigerator stuff at least a day, even with minimal quick open and shuts. Hard cheeses last longer than soft ones.

A few tips in case this happens again. At start of season, wash out, dry and store some soda or juice bottles. If a bad storm is forecasted to head your way, fill with water and freeze as many as will fit. They will help keep your freezer and refrigerator cold. Plus, they can be used for drinking water if needed. Use to water plants after so water isn't wasted. If you think you might leave and go to a hotel or friends that have power, freeze a glass full of water, put a quarter on top after it has frozen. The position of the quarter will tell you how warm your freezer got when you get back home and power is on.

Oh, you can fill small spaces with individual water bottles. A full freezer stays cold longer.

I don't remember what size our generator is, although Craig was able to easily handle it himself before his issues, but it ran a good size room air conditioner, a 2 burner buffet unit, the microwave, a couple of lights, our refrigerator except when somebody was cooking, and 4 hour shifts alternating between our deep freeze and neighbor's refrigerator, plus a couple of lights for them as well. I let her borrow our buffet unit, plus she was able to use their microwave when she made their food.

I don't remember what size our generator is, although Craig was able to easily handle it himself before his issues
The generator discussion, which we’ve had multiple times:

Hey, we should really buy a generator.
<looks at generators>
I’m not paying that!
<bad storm, we lose power for two days>
Dammit! I’m tired of this 💩! We’re buying a generator as soon as all this is over!
<next weekend, we look at generators>
I’m not paying that!
<repeat every time we lose power>

I do have her solemn word that when we move, we’ll be using some of the (assumed) profit from the sale of this house to splurge on a whole-house generator. I can tell when she’s serious or just paying lip-service, and she’s serious, so it’s a matter of time.

Both my brother and my sister got their power back today. My sister ran home as soon as she heard the roads were cleared and everything there is fine. She has a yard guy coming to clean up and remove branches from her roof so he can check for missing shingles and such. Such a relief that they are all okay and no damage to the structures!

✔️ Un-pack our suitcase
✔️ Do two loads of laundry
✔️ Put away all of the clothes that I un-packed and washed along with all the other 💩
✔️ Tidy up the house
✔️ Put said suitcase away
✔️ Sit down with a glass (or three) of wine and relax

I'm tuckered out! That was a busy/stressful/fun/exciting/great two days in The Big City aka Phoenix, Arizona.

Back
Top Bottom