Plans for today (2024)

I've always wondered why Paul, John, George and Ringo spelled it Beatles instead of Beetles, but I guess it's because they had rhythm? But still, why name your band after an insect?

And I never agreed that Ringo was the greatest rock n roll drummer.
I don’t know anyone here who would say he was a good drummer 😂
They were friends and he was a member of their band so they stuck by him and his basic drumming.
I like that. Bit of loyalty n all that.

All you have to know about Ringo’s drumming is what other professional drummers say about him. He’s held in extremely high regard.

Excellent pocket/groove drummer, just not a flash jazz-fusion drummer (thank god), which was what was coming into vogue by the end of the ‘60’s. Also very versatile, having no issue with keeping up with the growing complexity of L & M’s writing and the overall production of the music. Oddball time signatures…shifting time signatures within a song…Harrison’s Eastern-influenced stuff…McCartney’s vaudeville stuff…he handled it just fine.

My personal favorite performance of his is the drumming on Rain - that’s a very active drum part, and it’s even more impressive when you realize the backing was recorded roughly half again as fast, then the tape slowed down for the final mix. Mr. Starkey was cooking on that track.

As much as anything, a good indication of his ability is that on a whole lot of Beatle songs, if you listen just to the drum track, you can tell the song. He had some wonderfully idiosyncratic parts. Very supple playing style.

Oh…as to the name “Beatles,” that evolved over time, but was first thought up as an homage to Buddy Holly & the Crickets, by Stu Sutcliffe (if the part of my brain dedicated to Beatles lore isn’t malfunctioning). Spelling changed a few times before settling on Beatles-with-an-A, and yes, due to playing “beat” music.

Oh, and remember when it became trendy for rock stars to put out albums of pop standards from before the rock era (looking at you, Rod Stewart… :whistling: )? - Ringo did it first, all the way back in 1970 with his first solo album, Sentimental Journey, anticipating the trend. That’s just a weird little bonus.

I think I need to revisit my opinion on Ringo.
It was formed when I was a child and for every good or successful muso there's another fifty waiting to bash them to death with their handbags 😂

He was definitely perfect for the Beatles. I perhaps have been influenced by others opinions when I was too young to know any better.

TastyReuben what tracks would you recommend I listen to for a bit of good Ringo drumming?

@TastyReuben what tracks would you recommend I listen to for a bit of good Ringo drumming?
I submit some personal favorites later, but I want this to stand alone:

View: https://youtu.be/P3IuNGxGVXk

That’s Rain at the original recorded speed. He’s flying around that kit (and credit where credit is due for McCartney’s rollicking bass line - one of his best as well).

Plans for today - I took the day off so I could concentrate on afternoon tea tomorrow. I’ve got my hour-by-hour plan, and I’m working that today. That’s where my focus is. Afternoon tea. Tea in the afternoon. Afternoon. Tea. Tea. Afternoon.

I submit some personal favorites later, but I want this to stand alone:

View: https://youtu.be/P3IuNGxGVXk

That’s Rain at the original recorded speed. He’s flying around that kit (and credit where credit is due for McCartney’s rollicking bass line - one of his best as well).
Thanks I'll have a listen when I'm near a better speaker, phone speakers aren't music worthy!

Back
Top Bottom