Plans for today (2024)

The key to learning a foreign language is simple.
Listen; speak; read; write.
And I can't emphasise enough how important it is to LISTEN to the language first. That's how you learn to speak it with a reasonable accent.
'nough said!

I have an expensive highly rated Dell laptop for travelling (because garmin and ios don't play well) but it's cr*p, I regret that purchase!!
That's a shame. My dell laptop, an XPS 15 is still going strong! It wasn't until I needed to get a new psu for it that we realised it was 7 years old! I can now get 7% or 10% off a new one, now I'm a student again.

That's a shame. My dell laptop, an XPS 15 is still going strong! It wasn't until I needed to get a new psu for it that we realised it was 7 years old! I can now get 7% or 10% off a new one, now I'm a student again.
It is a shame, I really thought it would be the answer to my garmin woes but another motorcycling journo who comes from an IT background confirmed Garmins software is the WORSE he’s ever encountered and to just avoid it!
So the Dell gets a free pass on that score.

It’s more the actual build quality I dislike. The mouse trackpad, screen and hinges don’t have the solidity I expect on an expensive bit of kit.
It also doesn’t work seamlessly, there’s a clunkyness to it that belongs to much older tech.
And I have hardly anything on it, not even pics, it’s used for mapping and booking hotels so there’s nothing slowing it down.
Don’t get me wrong, it’s ok, there’s just no joy in using it.

Bravo brainiac!!
Oh thanks!😃 i do love reading and learning a lot.

I sometimes find it difficult to stop, and then my eyes and my thoughts are,I perceive, going off in different directions or circles, very easy to imagine those cartoon characters that have their eyes spin off like billiard balls punched😄😄...they don't.

Now in the period of resting, I will happily indulge in some online fashion🥰...

In all honesty, this consistent daily effort may be quite important for my daughter.

She was out of school for 5 months. 4 of which she did study in a diminished volume at home, but in the last month she studied zero.

So I am happy to see that she can and is putting an effort to learn( this beautiful, and all are beautiful languages) Italian. As a stepping stone to her going back to classroom in September. With all of her 15 subjects. Hopefully.

And I can't emphasise enough how important it is to LISTEN to the language first.
Very true. She has wi fi at the vacay. And she uses Google a lot which offers audio pronounciation. And Youtube has many excellent native speakers that offer beginner courses online. Just yesterday I sent her a lovely Italian channel, where the student is asked to dialogue in during the video.
She is 16, so I as a Mom serve as a guiding pilot to steer her if she neglected Plural or gave up on the page too quickly...

Even more importantly, she learns. She uses her brain to learn new things, she reads, writes, compares, reflects, and that is in her current state, very very important.

She will repeat those Grammar and Vocabulary lessons at school at several points, surely, with a proper teacher, but for now getting back into the "learning mode" is crucial. We want her back at school, she is smart!

Plans for today are to run back up to the farmers’ markets we went to last weekend, but just me, for more peaches, if they still have any…and more blueberries…and corn…and German old world bologna…and cheese…

Today's plans are many
  • to clean out the chicken coops plural. Avian influenza is spreading rapidly in our part of Australia at the moment, and I'm not able to separate my chooks from the native wild birds. But I can clean out both coops to help minimise disk of any irritation to their air sacs (chickens don't have lungs) and their respiratory system in general.

But it's a massive job and needs be to don full protective clothing and a P3 respiratory mask. Thankfully it usually only gets done once a year per coop. But we're increasing that to twice a year as a precaution.​

Then I'll need to start on the house. We've been given very little notice about the twice yearly inspection and it's now in Tuesday.

• So I've got to clean the bathroom and toilet from top to bottom.
  • Clean the oven (hubby has already asked why and said it's clean enough, what's the problem? It might be clean enough for us, but it is never clean even for a house inspection and it is something they always meticulously check and photograph. So I can't leave that job to him. )
  • Wash all the vinyl floors
  • Clean the mud room yet again
  • Move the small(ish) chicken coop off the verandah and back into the shed. (2 person job so no delegation)
  • Sweep the verandah (I can delegate that one) (chook shit & feathers)
  • Sweep the back for area to clear chook shit
  • Tidy all the counters and clean them
  • Dust the sitting room. It's thick with dust and ash with us having the fire in that room.
  • Tidy the laundry room
  • Try to get another load of washing on but how I'll get it dry in not certain on.
So I'll say bye for the day and get started.

It must be left immaculate, well I feel it must be left immaculate.
When I was in the military, we occupied base housing…twice. When you vacate that, you better believe it has to shine. You’ve got to pull the appliances out and clean them, wash the light bulbs (dusting’s not good enough), that sort of thing.

When we left our first off-base apartment, we had to clean it to get our deposit back, so we cleaned it like we’d cleaned our military housing units - thoroughly shampooed the carpets, toothbrush up under the cooktop hood, scrubbed and polished the cabinet pulls, etc.

When the apartment manager came in, she couldn’t believe it - “This is better than the professional cleaners I hire do! Seriously, I just expected you to wipe down the counters and sweep the floor! I’m not even gonna have to have it cleaned again!”

That was many, many years ago. I’ve since lost that amount of ambition! :laugh:

Today I plan to do as little as possible. My youngest is in charge of making lunch and apparently we will be having pie’s.
I instigated everyone cooking one day a week last week because I had reached that point where getting large volumes of food on the table everyday meant I wasn’t enjoying being in the kitchen.
Apart from the birthday food day, that was great fun.

So far it’s gone very well. I don’t think Mr SSOAP like’s it, but I kind of think that’s tough poop, being asked to cook one day a week really shouldn’t be a biggy!

Who here share’s cooking duties and who has an other half who thinks them ordering a takeaway counts as their contribution? 😂

I long ago reached the conclusion I needed to give them something to moan about.

The time the complained the grass was dead just left us laughing in disbelief. We don't have the water to spare to keep the lawn alive in a drought. I prefer to drink it or bathe in it really, it just be able to flush the toilet. That's (some) city folk for you though. Everything is on tap literally. This time around the grass will be too long! It's been too wet to cut it.

We've done all of the outside work except for cutting the grass. Robotised is set to be very wet and I need to clean a carpet (someone nameless walked chook shit in on his shoes), and I've still got the oven to clean and the vinyl floors to wash (the dyson will do that with very little water used thankfully). I also need to clean the fireplace, and I haven't removed the ash dust from the sitting room yet. If and the bathroom and toilet and the mud room and laundry still need dealing with. I think I'm going to be busy tomorrow in-between orientation lectures! And I've got tea to cook as well. Maybe I'll bake to the black garlic pasta sauce. I've got a batch of garlic in my dehydrator at the moment, so I don't mind using up some of the black garlic. :licks lips:
It was your black garlic pasta sauce I bought the paste for but couldn’t remember what and earth I’d bought it for.
This week I’ve ordered the chestnut and spinach cannelloni ingredients and at the moment that’s enough newness on the menu. Plus another bookmark recipe ticked off!

That sounds like far too much to do in one day!
Nice to hear you’ve got a good desk, hope your chair is comfortable too.

What is this Dyson thing for cleaning floors? I like the brand and hate cleaning floors, might be just the thing 🤷‍♀️

So you went ahead with the black garlic experiment?

Well, let’s see…decent blueberries, so making proper pancakes this morning. I overbought on flour, so I’m going to make several pizza dough balls to freeze.

Possibly mow, but I much prefer doing that during the week, on my flex time, than on a regular day off, but we’ll see. Also making my first couscous recipe for the challenge.

I cook mostly, but my wife cooks very well. When she decides to cook something, then she just goes ahead and cooks it. We're not heavy on planning; it's usually a sort of "what do you fancy for dinner?" or "I'm going to make something with that broccoli" or "I could really eat a faceful of xxx today".
Friday she made something called Asado Negro, which is a long, slow-cooked piece of beef in an aromatic, slightly sweet sauce. I don't eat that, so I made a lentil stew and some Hyderabadi aubergines.
Today we're ALL eating leftovers!

Back
Top Bottom