Table Settings

They do that, don't they? I gifted an orchid to my daughter 2 months ago, the flower sadly died, I left it completely to her care, for didactic reasons, and when I discarded it, to separate the plastic pot for recycling...it was visible it had done just that...strong, spreading roots...
Plants do not thrive in my flat...possibly to do with the northern exposure and insufficient sunlight, not sure...but it was beautiful while alive...
Yours are looking very good!
The flowers will die but as long as the root system and leaves still thrive, it can bloom again. Mine have!

20220810_205332.jpg
20220810_205407.jpg
20220817_113815.jpg

Lovely. Tell me about the centre pieces? I particularly like the horseshoe.
That thing’s got a pentagram on it, so it’s where the deviled eggs go. 😈
Well, those are antique trivets I got from my mother when she passed away, who got them from her mother, and I have no idea where they came from before that. The center of the table itself is slate so trivets aren't really necessary but I like them, and there is an empty napkin holder there because my family was here visiting and I ran out of the paper napkins that go in it! The square thing with grapes on it is something I picked up from a garage sale and I have no idea what it's meant for, I just liked it and it seemed to match the other things there. I actually never noticed that the horseshoe had a pentagram/star of David. None of my family are of Jewish descent and my grandmother was Christian, so don't think it's supposed to be a pentagram. Everyone from the previous generations are deceased so no one left to ask.

Honestly I thought it was a Star of David but I dunno 🤷‍♀️
SOD has six points, that horseshoe up above has the pentagram-standard five.

All kidding aside, I think pentagrams have, at one time or another, been a symbol of good luck or good fortune, and it’s inside a horseshoe, which is also symbolic of good luck, so it’s probably just a double-luck thing.

They all look very nice laid out like that, regardless!

SOD has six points, that horseshoe up above has the pentagram-standard five.

All kidding aside, I think pentagrams have, at one time or another, been a symbol of good luck or good fortune, and it’s inside a horseshoe, which is also symbolic of good luck, so it’s probably just a double-luck thing.

They all look very nice laid out like that, regardless!
Thanks!

Well, those are antique trivets I got from my mother when she passed away, who got them from her mother, and I have no idea where they came from before that. The center of the table itself is slate so trivets aren't really necessary but I like them, and there is an empty napkin holder there because my family was here visiting and I ran out of the paper napkins that go in it! The square thing with grapes on it is something I picked up from a garage sale and I have no idea what it's meant for, I just liked it and it seemed to match the other things there. I actually never noticed that the horseshoe had a pentagram/star of David. None of my family are of Jewish descent and my grandmother was Christian, so don't think it's supposed to be a pentagram. Everyone from the previous generations are deceased so no one left to ask.
Definitely not the star of David. I've got distant family who are Israeli Jews. As TR says the SOD is 6 points, or 2 triangles, one upside down over the other. Think of the Israeli flag.

Some of my close family are Jewish. That's rather revealing of how little I think of religion. Naughty ay 😆
I haven’t told you the story of how I bought the cutest set of star-shaped cookie cutters, six cutters, and each one smaller than the last, and used them to make a sugar-cookie Christmas tree for a work party, only to have a couple of Jewish coworkers good-naturedly point out that, “Oh, nice. You’ve made a Christmas tree…using Star of David cookie cutters!”

I haven’t told you the story of how I bought the cutest set of star-shaped cookie cutters, six cutters, and each one smaller than the last, and used them to make a sugar-cookie Christmas tree for a work party, only to have a couple of Jewish coworkers good-naturedly point out that, “Oh, nice. You’ve made a Christmas tree…using Star of David cookie cutters!”
Love it! I want one!! My family would find that hilarious :laugh:

Back
Top Bottom