The CookingBites recipe challenge: couscous

Now, I know that SatNavSaysStraightOn is busy with University study but she also recently bought some giant couscous, presumably intending to enter.
I do indeed have a couple of warm roasted veg couscous salad recipes. Too cold here for cold recipes. I'm only going to get chance to do one and that will be Sunday...

IMG_8897.jpeg
IMG_8898.jpeg

Ok, my last one:

Sausage & Couscous-Stuffed Peppers

This one was a rollercoaster of a recipe. I started out with a basic couscous-stuffed pepper recipe from Martha Stewart, but the amounts of what I had on hand and wanted to use didn’t match hers, and I had some other stuff as well, so I had to wing it.

12 ounces of turkey sausage? Well, I have a pound of turkey, and I can season it up for an Italian sausage profile…but I also have about a half-pound of hot pork sausages I need to use up…in they go.

No problem, I have six peppers to stuff and the recipe calls for four, so it’ll fit, sure it will. Oh, recipe calls for canned diced tomatoes, I have only crushed, but I’ve got some wrinkly cherry tomatoes in the fridge that really need to be used or discarded…in they go!

Unopened jack cheese that I bought for this…where is it?…where is it?…oh, hey, here’s some spinach-and-artichoke Gouda that’s been around for a lot longer…that’ll work!

…and that’s how I ended up with this:

How’s it taste? Like a couscous-and-sausage stuffed pepper. Very filling, and the couscous brings a nice chewiness that’s usually missing from traditional stuffed peppers.

Very filling, and the couscous brings a nice chewiness that’s usually missing from traditional stuffed peppers.
Well done! Looks like a wonderfull lunch or supper!
Stuffed peppers or potatoes or tomatoes had crossed my mind for the challenge, then I got sidetracked...supercool use of couscous!

Back
Top Bottom