The CookingBites recipe challenge: couscous

On a selfish note medtran49, might it be possible to extend the challenge a bit longer - over the weekend maybe? I have two more entries made and photographed but I still have to write them up. I also have quite a lot of other couscous ideas I'd like to make (too many really!). I'm slower than usual due to back problems when standing.

Putting my staff hat on, I'm a little puzzled by the fact only three of us have made entries so far. I mean its not as if couscous is a tricky ingredient or something that has a taste which divides people. Where are the usual suspects? Now, I know that SatNavSaysStraightOn is busy with University study but she also recently bought some giant couscous, presumably intending to enter. karadekoolaid has only just returned home but did express an interest. AgileMJOLNIR - maybe you are on holiday? msmofet - maybe you never tried couscous? JAS_OH1 - maybe you don't like couscous? I could go on...

Maybe a short extension could bring in more entries?
I actually love couscous, but I generally sit out on the challenge following one where I was the judge. And, we've got a lot going on here. My DH is the executor of his mother's will and he is grieving very hard and I am trying to be supportive...lots of work just ironing out all the will details, meetings with the investment banker, attorney, etc. and then there are a few greedy family members who have been showing their true colors (not any of our kids) and are yapping at his heels so it's all terribly sad and just makes it worse. On a sweet note, youngest daughter is getting married in 12 days. And I am also catching up on work that I missed for the several weeks while MIL was in the hospital and we were making funeral arrangements...okay I am sorry for the long vent. Maybe next challenge.

I mean its not as if couscous is a tricky ingredient
Well it might not be in Europe or the US, but over here , it's the equivalent of finding a perfectly ripe plantain in Tesco's.
I might be able to find some in the Lebanese shop in the centre ( at about $8 for 500 gms :hyper: ) but that means a 28 km drive, and the front suspension is playing up:laugh: Murphy's Law - when you come back from holiday, everything's gone wrong.
IF I can fix the car in the next day or two, I may be able to do something (because I'm never one to reject a totally new ingredient) but that's to be seen. Sorry! I'll also be cooking it for myself, no-one else.

On a selfish note medtran49, might it be possible to extend the challenge a bit longer - over the weekend maybe? I have two more entries made and photographed but I still have to write them up. I also have quite a lot of other couscous ideas I'd like to make (too many really!). I'm slower than usual due to back problems when standing.

Putting my staff hat on, I'm a little puzzled by the fact only three of us have made entries so far. I mean its not as if couscous is a tricky ingredient or something that has a taste which divides people. Where are the usual suspects? Now, I know that SatNavSaysStraightOn is busy with University study but she also recently bought some giant couscous, presumably intending to enter. karadekoolaid has only just returned home but did express an interest. AgileMJOLNIR - maybe you are on holiday? msmofet - maybe you never tried couscous? JAS_OH1 - maybe you don't like couscous? I could go on...

Maybe a short extension could bring in more entries?
I live! Not a holiday (I wish) but work has been keeping me late and out of the kitchen. Not sure if I can get an entry on this one but I’ll try. I love the ingredient and have a head full of ideas, I just haven’t had time to implement them.

IMG_8845.jpeg
IMG_8846.jpeg
IMG_8848.jpeg

IMG_8849.jpeg

My (should be) next-to last one:

Recipe - Sausage & Pickled Sage Couscous

This one was fun to make: sausage and onions fried up, raisins and a pickling brine used for a quick sauce, all mixed in/served on couscous. Easy, fun, and people will think you worked all day on it.

First, the integral ingredient...the pickled sage. Now, usually, when I see a recipe that says, "Go make this recipe first," I turn the page; for whatever reason, it's an annoyance of mine. I don't want to "make" ingredients - I want to use already-existing ingredients to make finished dishes.

But...this dish comes from a cookbook that specifically addresses that - it starts with a base item (in this case pickled sage or parsely), then shows you how to use that in three or four follow-on recipes, to save from having to bin things or lose them forever to the Freezer of No Return. The pickled sage is quite easy to make, can be started two weeks ahead and last for an additional two weeks, so I allowed it.

Onto the main attraction!

Nicely simple dish to make: start by browning some sausage links, add in some onions, quick make some basic couscous, throw the onions into that once it's done, set the sausage aside, make a quick sauce with raisins and pickling brine, into the couscous with that, stir it, plate it, top it with the sausage and some of the pickled sage. 35 minutes cooking if you're like me, 25 minutes if you're actually efficient in the kitchen.

The taste? Well, the more I use them in savory dishes, I'm coming round to golden raisins (and other chewy sweet things, like dates and prunes...hmmm...what about Twizzlers? :laugh: ) being a super-taste secret weapon. That sour/bitter pickley stuff, the power of the onion, the spicy sausage, then tie it all together with a little softy-sweety burst of raisin... I need an emoji of kissing my fingertips in delicious delight - it's simply mouthwatering, it's so good.

I want to comment on that top photo - that's as food-stylist as I get. I had to actually individually place the torn sage, because it was still a little damp from the brine, and wouldn't go anywhere near where it should have. Since I had to do those manually, I took a little extra care with the rest of it, and even used some whole leaves for a little design. Don't get used to it! :laugh:

I did hit a couple of snags making it - I think I need my own subforum here called Typical Tasty, where I can report all the times I <bleep > up a recipe along the way.

First, as I was measuring out the brine, I'd intended to strain it (though it's arguably better not to), so I set out my little strainer so I would forget, when the time came.

I forgot when the time came. Chucked it all right in.

Second, I'd measured out the scant amount of water I needed (I actually made a half-recipe), and the smallest clean saucepan I had was a medium one, and that amount of water was about 1/4-inch deep in the pan, and I thought, "That'll come to the boil and half boil away before I can get it off the heat and over to the couscous...I'm going to add some more, and then I'll just measure it out once it's boiled." Set out my measuring cup so I wouldn't forget when the time came.

I forgot when the time came. Chucked it all right in.

That made the couscous a little runny at first, but I simply soaked some of the extra liquid up with paper towels, and found that I liked the texture quite a bit more with the extra water...more like a slightly soupy risotto, and less like hard-cooked polenta.

The taste? Well, the more I use them in savory dishes, I'm coming round to golden raisins (and other chewy sweet things, like dates and prunes...hmmm...what about Twizzlers? :laugh: ) being a super-taste secret weapon.

Agreed. But I have a feeling that our judge really dislikes golden raisins...

The sweet fruity bites are common in North African food - which of course is where couscous comes from.

Agreed. But I have a feeling that our judge really dislikes golden raisins...

The sweet fruity bites are common in North African food - which of course is where couscous comes from.
The goldens are WAY better than the dark ones. I won't eat them out of hand, but they are okay as ingredients in a larger dish.

This isn’t an entry, because all I did was add some egg to yesterday’s couscous in order to make patties, then fried them up:

View attachment 115801View attachment 115802View attachment 115803

Served with some warm pizza sauce, since the flavors in my couscous (shallot, garlic, pine nuts) seemed like they’d work with it.

Pretty good, and it’s a quick and easy way to use up leftover couscous. MrsT said they tasted like cornbread!
I've never used cous cous but I'll look for it in the store and make mini cous cous pizzas.

Back
Top Bottom