The CookingBites recipe challenge: garlic

Status
Not open for further replies.
I had mustard ice cream at heston blumenthals place with a meat course (can't remember what) and that was very good.
No sweetness to it, it was just a cold mustard and cream concoction that gave a lovely contrast against the hot (as in warm) food.
Oh I can imagine that to be delicious indeed. What a creative approach. Would have nothing against trying it, dairy free, if available...I wonder if I can replicate a version of it, with soy cream or coconut cream...thank you for sharing!

I've seen a recipe for a honey, garlic, lavender ice cream. I detest lavender flavored food so if anybody wants to give it a go, let me know. It's in a pretty old cookbook so don't know if it's on web.

The local farmer's market partners with farms up north and sends produce back and forth since our growing season is past done, other than native produce. I looked this morning and they have spring/green garlic. We may take a run up there next week since I have to have my doll done Tuesday and then might feel creative in other directions.

I've seen a recipe for a honey, garlic, lavender ice cream. I detest lavender flavored food so if anybody wants to give it a go, let me know. It's in a pretty old cookbook so don't know if it's on web.

The local farmer's market partners with farms up north and sends produce back and forth since our growing season is past done, other than native produce. I looked this morning and they have spring/green garlic. We may take a run up there next week since I have to have my doll done Tuesday and then might feel creative in other directions.
I’m not a fan of lavender in food, it’s how I imagine perfume tastes!

Yeah, I like lavender as a scent but not in food, yuck.

I love rosemary but I agree, overdo it and its blurgh!
Yeah, just about anything overdone is blurgh. Except....garlic!!!!!!

When I lived in Florida and was in my early 30s, there was this Italian restaurant I went to (my roommate was a bartender there) and they would served up bulbs of roasted garlic with dried herbs and olive oil and a loaf of bread. My friends and I would go and order a bottle of wine or 3 and eat bread and roasted garlic, so good!

When I lived in Florida and was in my early 30s, there was this Italian restaurant I went to (my roommate was a bartender there) and they would served up bulbs of roasted garlic with dried herbs and olive oil and a loaf of bread. My friends and I would go and order a bottle of wine or 3 and eat bread and roasted garlic, so good!
I usually do roasted garlic cloves when I make Sunday dinner. Love popping a soft clove out and mashing it into a roast potato or slice of meat!

Oh, you can overdo garlic. The BIL I mentioned previously was making tzatziki once and chopped way too much garlic by mistake. He thought "what the heck, I'll just add it and it will taste even better!" Nope, it was inedible. He had to make a whole other recipe of everything except garlic to be able to serve it.

A long, long, long time ago when Outback first started making shrimp scampi, I ordered it. OMG, I could barely eat it there was so much garlic. Even Craig thought there was way too much. I don't know if it was a cook's mistake or the actual recipe but I never ordered it again. Now, of course, I'd send it back, but that was probably around 30 years ago and I wasn't very assertive back then.

Oh, you can overdo garlic.
Yeah, I suppose if it's overpowering a delicate flavor that could indeed be disappointing. I rarely use raw garlic in anything. I always semi-roast or completely roast garlic in everything I use, it just mellows out the flavor in such a lovely way.

Edited to add that I do know that my love for garlic is more extreme than most people. My MIL and DH both love garlic as much as I do. My FIL hates avocados and isn't too crazy about garlic, so I sometimes make MIL my guacamole (heavy on the garlic, which she adores) and he recoils from her breath after she eats it!

Last edited:
Yeah, I suppose if it's overpowering a delicate flavor that could indeed be disappointing. I rarely use raw garlic in anything. I always semi-roast or completely roast garlic in everything I use, it just mellows out the flavor in such a lovely way.
The Outback shrimp scampi is still talked about whenever we make or get shrimp scampi. One place fairly thick slices the garlic, then basically confits the slices in EVOO and a lighter oil mixture. I love getting scampi there and always ask for extra garlic slices.

Got the first’un going…it’ll be ready this time next week:

IMG_8455.jpeg
IMG_8456.jpeg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom