The CookingBites recipe challenge: garlic

Status
Not open for further replies.
I disagree. I think it's lovely!

Edited to add that the garlic oil is an expected delicious element, and I am a huge fan of both goat cheese and pinenuts.
I felt really bad about the looks when it first came out, but it does look like the picture in the cookbook.

BTW, this is the cookbook I bought at the winery/olive grove in Corfu. The author owns that and a restaurant, and she sells her own housemade sauces and pickled things and spice blends, too.

IMG_6489.jpeg
IMG_6493.jpeg

I felt really bad about the looks when it first came out, but it does look like the picture in the cookbook.

BTW, this is the cookbook I bought at the winery/olive grove in Corfu. The author owns that and a restaurant, and she sells her own housemade sauces and pickled things and spice blends, too.

View attachment 114308View attachment 114309
That looks like such a cool place!

That looks like such a cool place!
It was interesting. It was what I would term as scrubby. It wasn’t lush, like say, Ireland. It looked more like Texas, actually.

But it was incredibly charming, and it’s all family-owned. The young woman who showed us around is a great-niece to the owner, and she was just lovely. Maybe 25, and she really enjoyed showing the place off. We were part of a very small group, and it included wine from their winery (pretty much as much as we wanted) and all manner of snacking dishes.

I have to say…as accomplished as the owner is (and her backstory is pretty impressive), one thing she isn’t is a professional recipe writer.

The cookbook is a quality product, not some cobbled-together affair, stunning photography, but the recipes read as if written by someone who’s made them so many times, they’ve left several steps out, things that are second-nature to them, but to someone making these for the first time, details would be much appreciated.

Recipe - Creamy Black Garlic Sauce

I'm in an area that grows a lot of garlic, so garlic gets preserved many ways. One of my favourite 'finds' has been black garlic, which I can just eat by itself. (I have a garlic farm just "down the road" from me. In fact it's actually closer than my supermarket!)

20240603_120203.jpg

Last edited:
Recipe - Creamy Black Garlic Sauce

I'm in an area that grows a lot of garlic, so garlic gets preserved many ways. One of my favourite 'finds' has been black garlic, which I can just eat by itself. (I have a garlic farm just "down the road" from me. In fact it's actually closer than my supermarket!)

View attachment 114320
Read it’s quite easy to make black garlic yourself but it takes two-three weeks and you have to put up with everywhere smelling of garlic for the whole time. I’m still tempted to try it though!

Read it’s quite easy to make black garlic yourself but it takes two-three weeks and you have to put up with everywhere smelling of garlic for the whole time. I’m still tempted to try it though!
I'd had similar thoughts about loving the smell... I don't have the ability to make it because my dehydrator would take too much moisture out, though the yoghurt maker might work. But the stuff I buy is 90 days fermented. I just keep thinking about the electricity it would use to make some and even the yogurt marker would not many because of the need to keep them separate.

I'd had similar thoughts about loving the smell... I don't have the ability to make it because my dehydrator would take too much moisture out, though the yoghurt maker might work. But the stuff I buy is 90 days fermented. I just keep thinking about the electricity it would use to make some and even the yogurt marker would not many because of the need to keep them separate.
I reckon you’d just need to seal the garlic in something in the dehydrator to stop it drying out. Like a jam jars or the like. Vacuum sealing them would probably work well but as we’re all trying to avoid using plastic if we can jars are probably a better move.

Edit: These guys put lots in a big jar in their dehydrator.
It didn’t give even results but I think if they’d layed the jar on it’s side and not crammed so many in it would have worked 🤷‍♀️

How to make black garlic in a dehydrator

This recipe is from a Spanish website, but I changed some of the ingredients: Paté de Ajo con Queso
They used raw garlic but I decided to roast mine. They also used Manchego cheese; I only had vintage matured Cheddar. They also add a few walnuts and some rosemary, and I didn't see the point really, so I dumped in some paprika to give it a nice colour and left the walnuts and rosemary out.
Despite the two heads of garlic, the flavour was great - slightly sweet from the roasted garlic, tangy from the cheese and not at all strong.
Pate de Ajo Arostizado 2.jpg

Here's a recipe which might actually receive down votes, but I'm going to post it anyway :laugh:
Garlic & Ginger Pickle
Hot, garlicky, aromatic, slightly tart, slightly sweet - a typical Indian achaar, or pickle.
For those of you who identify a pickle as (a) pickled gherkins/cucumbers or (b) vegetables preserved in vinegar or brine (c) a sweet concoction like Branston pickle or Farmhouse pickle, this is very different in many aspects.
Achaar is fiery, salty, oily, sweet, full of complex flavours and, often, sour. This particular one is fairly sweet, but some of the most common (mango, lime, gooseberry) have a notable sourness to them. These condiments are served with an Indian meal, just a little at a time, perhaps similar to the sambals of Indonesia and Malaya .
They take a while to make, and they take a while to mature. Over the past month or so, I've made Chettinad garlic achaar and green mango achaar - which will not be used for another 3-4 months.
Enjoy if you like the hot stuff!
Ginger Garlic pickle.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom