The CookingBites recipe challenge: saffron

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sambuca I might have heard, Galliano is a new voice to me.
Sound lovely.
I prefer the taste of Amaretto to Galliano, personally. I used to drink Amaretto sours when I was in my 20s. Tasty!

Sambuca and Ouzo both taste strongly like licorice. Galliano has a similar flavor but not as bold, from what I remember. It's been over 35 years since I tasted any of them.

Back in the 80s, if you went to a dinner, or dinner party in Caracas, you would expect to be served a "pousse café" afterwards. Amaretto, Sambuca, Limoncello, Galliano, Grand Marnier or Cointreau were the favourites.
The trend died out. I don't think I've had a bottle of Sambuca in the house for over 25 years.

Back in the 80s, if you went to a dinner, or dinner party in Caracas, you would expect to be served a "pousse café" afterwards. Amaretto, Sambuca, Limoncello, Galliano, Grand Marnier or Cointreau were the favourites.
The trend died out. I don't think I've had a bottle of Sambuca in the house for over 25 years.
I’ve got Amaretto, Grand Marnier, and Cointreau in the house now (as well as Chambord, Frangelico, and Kahlua). I’ve also got some Italian cantaloupe liqueur in the fridge and some kumquat stuff in there as well. God only knows what else I have tucked away here and there.

I recently parted ways with my hair stylist of many years, and I gave her a very nice bottle of Limoncello as as little good luck gift. I love all that stuff. Makes life fun.

I’ve got Amaretto, Grand Marnier, and Cointreau in the house now (as well as Chambord, Frangelico, and Kahlua). I’ve also got some Italian cantaloupe liqueur in the fridge and some kumquat stuff in there as well. God only knows what else I have tucked away here and there.

I recently parted ways with my hair stylist of many years, and I gave her a very nice bottle of Limoncello as as little good luck gift. I love all that stuff. Makes life fun.
Grand Marnier ot Cointreau makes a nice addition to a margarita.

One of the customs in Venezuela ( and it may have originated in another country, not sure) is something called "sobre mesa". It basically means that, when you finish eating, maybe coffee and liqueurs (or an exquisite single malt) are served and the conversation continues. No leaping from the dinner table to go somewhere else. The conversation could continue for an hour or two.

One of the customs in Venezuela ( and it may have originated in another country, not sure) is something called "sobre mesa". It basically means that, when you finish eating, maybe coffee and liqueurs (or an exquisite single malt) are served and the conversation continues. No leaping from the dinner table to go somewhere else. The conversation could continue for an hour or two.

It happened at my parents quite often.
Esp when people came for dinner.
Could be coffee, could be another glass of wine, or a cognac, whisky etc

Just had a look at saffron and was surprised to learn that England was at one time the world's largest saffron producer.
Sounds unlikely doesn't it, but the Romans brought it over and it was grown and traded in Bude Cornwall. It was also a popular crop in Essex hence the area named Saffron Waldon.

Anyway it made me fancy some Cornish Saffron Cake so if anyone who can eat gluten could wedge a few slices down and let me know what it's like.. 😆

There's a saffron producer in Essex who makes Saffron Gin so I think in the name of all things good and right in the world I should buy some shouldn't I? You know just for research sakes, the good of the forum, oh so self sacrificing.. 😁

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom