The CookingBites recipe challenge: saffron

Status
Not open for further replies.
IMG_9031.jpeg

Just had a look at saffron and was surprised to learn that England was at one time the world's largest saffron producer.
Sounds unlikely doesn't it, but the Romans brought it over and it was grown and traded in Bude Cornwall. It was also a popular crop in Essex hence the area named Saffron Waldon.

Anyway it made me fancy some Cornish Saffron Cake so if anyone who can eat gluten could wedge a few slices down and let me know what it's like.. 😆

There's a saffron producer in Essex who makes Saffron Gin so I think in the name of all things good and right in the world I should buy some shouldn't I? You know just for research sakes, the good of the forum, oh so self sacrificing.. 😁

My first thought is that this must have been in one of Britan's middle eastern holdings, but you're right: they were tops in the middle ages.

I posted this earlier, but I should have posted it here

I made a safron dish, but I couldn't taste safron.
There could be a couple of reasons
1- I don't know what it should taste like
2- My tastebuds only work at intense spice levels
3- The safron was too old
4- All of the above

Just wondering if I should post it?
IMG_20240812_184926_077.jpg

I posted this earlier, but I should have posted it here

I made a safron dish, but I couldn't taste safron.
There could be a couple of reasons
1- I don't know what it should taste like
2- My tastebuds only work at intense spice levels
3- The safron was too old
4- All of the above

Just wondering if I should post it?
The pic didn't show
Chicken marinated in a Persian marinade of yoghurt, garlic, orange peel, saffron

When are you going to cook/bake it?
It was headed into the oven when I snapped that pic. Here it is, all done:

IMG_9035.jpeg

I have to admit…it smells divine. It’s got the interesting (to me) combination of sugar, saffron, warm spices, and caraway seed, plus some yeast, so is it a cake…is it a bread…is it sweet…is it savory?

Crazy colonials! :laugh:

It was headed into the oven when I snapped that pic. Here it is, all done:

View attachment 117426

I have to admit…it smells divine. It’s got the interesting (to me) combination of sugar, saffron, warm spices, and caraway seed, plus some yeast, so is it a cake…is it a bread…is it sweet…is it savory?

Crazy colonials! :laugh:
Thank goodness. It looks so much better baked. I am not big on the caraway seed but who knows, with the combinations of the other ingredients maybe that gets muddled a bit? I am sure I could slather it with butter and your favorite--honey--and be quite happy!

Well taste it tasty, let us know how it turned out!

I am sure I could slather it with butter and your favorite--honey--and be quite happy!

Well taste it tasty, let us know how it turned out!
It actually smells like whipped honey-butter (there’s a stick of butter in there).

MrsT will be the official taster, I’m not chancing it until she gives it…well, if not a thumbs-up, at least not a thumbs-down.

Just waiting on it to cool…

It actually smells like whipped honey-butter (there’s a stick of butter in there).

MrsT will be the official taster, I’m not chancing it until she gives it…well, if not a thumbs-up, at least not a thumbs-down.

Just waiting on it to cool…
Give her some maple syrup to go with it and she'll eat the whole thing?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom