The CookingBites recipe challenge: saffron

Status
Not open for further replies.
My Saffron m8ght be half-expired then...
Judging from TR's description...not a 1/10th of that...
But I did get the specific aroma, colour sparingly...

The pic didn't show
Chicken marinated in a Persian marinade of yoghurt, garlic, orange peel, saffronView attachment 117425
I feel that it should look more yellow. I made a dish yesterday with chicken, saffron and orange and it was much more yellow looking than this - so I am wondering if the problem is that your saffron is past its best, as you feared. Nevertheless, even if it was past its best I would expect it to show its colour. Please do post the recipe even if not as an entry. If I have time I will make it to compare notes.

Here is the orange, saffron and chilli chicken I made:

20240813_120714.jpg

I put it in a portable box for my son to take and either have cold or re-heat:

20240813_130028.jpg

I feel that it should look more yellow. I made a dish yesterday with chicken, saffron and orange and it was much more yellow looking than this - so I am wondering if the problem is that your saffron is past its best, as you feared. Nevertheless, even if it was past its best I would expect it to show its colour. Please do post the recipe even if not as an entry. If I have time I will make it to compare notes.
I will post it :)
It was more yellow, but I had added a lot of sumac to it before I took that picture

I'm not good at describing things I reckon. It's very unique in smell and taste.
I'd describe as more leather, soft leather, with unique floral notes. I don't get honey, but I do get a relatively intense sweetness. IF you overdo it, yes, it becomes overpowering, but then a lot of spices (cinnamon, cloves, cardamom, nutmeg, mace) will do the same. If you look at some Spanish recipes, you'll find they use quite a lot more than (from what I've seen in the recipes) we have.
It's one of those things that you have to experiment with, and that's a challenge in itself, because it's the most expensive spice in the world. Additionally, everyone comes away with a different perception of the taste, which complicates matters even further.
If you've prepared a dish and you can't taste the saffron, then undoubtedly, you need more. That's why a CookingBites Challenge like this is so good!

It's soaking on the left here
View attachment 117461

The saffron does look very pale. Maybe saffron does lose colour when old. The thing is, that saffron has a very long shelf life. I've used saffron that is 5 years old and it's been fine. It's possible that what you have is not saffron at all but a cheap substitute made from safflower,

It did come from a reputable store and was not cheap.
But...
It may be a little old...
Like 2017 or thereabouts 😭
Yeah that is a bit old! Also sunlight and hot temperatures can affect it (I learned). I have chicken and orange and saffron, garlic, onions - so if you want to post the recipe, I will make it to see how it turns out. Maybe not in time for the challenge deadline though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom