The CookingBites recipe challenge: saffron

Status
Not open for further replies.
Morning Glory
Thanks for the link, but it is a wholesaler...
You want 10 gr package?
Minimum order is 100 packs @73 dollar....
And that does not qualify for free shipping, which will never arrive at my door anyway.
But as you can read in my previous post...
I got some :)

IMG_20240731_170540_076.jpg

Morning Glory
Thanks for the link, but it is a wholesaler...
You want 10 gr package?
Minimum order is 100 packs @73 dollar....
And that does not qualify for free shipping, which will never arrive at my door anyway.
But as you can read in my previous post...
I got some :)
Yeah sorry. I'm glad you found some!

I found saffron

On the questionable side: it is fairly old
I can only see it, not smell, or taste it, but... it looks to be, as you say, fairly old :(
I'd test it. Put a few strands into a tbsp of warm milk and see if the milk turns yellow-ish, then give it a try.

I bought an ounce of saffron in London recently, so whoopee! I can participate. The slight problem is that I'm only cooking for one, so sometimes, recipes become a little tricky to scale down. Never mind.
Here's my first entry; a recipe I made for a recent trip to Puerto Ordaz, where I did an "entire"Indian menu:
Shrikand (Indian Yoghurt Dessert)
I made the recipe as is, then gave some to the restaurant owner, who thought it was aurprisingly delicious..."but how about we add a little fruit to it?" Good thinking, because they use a lot of fresh pineapple for their cocktails. With pineapple, utterly delicious.
In the photos, you can see exactly how much saffron I used - plus 3 or four strands to decorate.

Shrikand 2.jpg

Shrikand 1.jpg

Shrikand 3.jpg

I may be talking rubbish here as !'ve never had a cocktail with saffron but perhaps to those who have not used saffron before its not best place to start. I reckon it would be difficult to balance the taste and you might end up with something medcinal tasting which might put you off forever.
Oh now, that sounds like a challenge-within-a-challenge…I accept!

Besides, I’m going to spend $20 or whatever on what amounts to a thimbleful of saffron, I’ve got to find some different ways to use it.

Now this is interesting…

I went poking around looking for something, and I bumped into this and that, and a book fell down from one of the shelves.

Picked it up, and it turned out to be one of those gift shop books from Hampton Court…specifically dealing with the food service there, and it contains a handful of period recipes, in their original Tudor English, and all but one or two contain saffron.

They do go as far as offer a modern translation, but even with that, I wouldn’t attempt one of these, as no times or amounts or temps are given - everything is more of a general outline.

Oh now, that sounds like a challenge-within-a-challenge…I accept!

Besides, I’m going to spend $20 or whatever on what amounts to a thimbleful of saffron, I’ve got to find some different ways to use it.
Trader Joe’s had decent saffron for a reasonable price. Haven’t bought any in awhile.

You will definitely find saffron and rosewater in Jungle Jim's.
I have about four sources - JJ’s, Dorothy Lane Markets, Trader Joe’s, and Whole Foods.

Meijer (you’re probably familiar with those, but if not, it’s like a much nicer Walmart - half department store, half grocery store) actually sell saffron (take that, Kroger!), but not the rose water. I’m planning on buying it in one stop, though, so no Meijer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom