The CookingBites recipe challenge: saffron

Status
Not open for further replies.
I’m off to get saffron today, but I’ll admit to being a bit worried - everything points to overdoing it leading to a metallic taste.

With our tastebuds still being mightily affected by the covid…most everything tastes slightly metallic right now anyway, so I’m not sure how I’m going to accurately assess using it.

I’m off to get saffron today, but I’ll admit to being a bit worried - everything points to overdoing it leading to a metallic taste.

With our tastebuds still being mightily affected by the covid…most everything tastes slightly metallic right now anyway, so I’m not sure how I’m going to accurately assess using it.
I'd say medicinal more than metallic. Just remember the old adage, you can always add more (by letting it soak in some water or milk/cream), but you can't take it out.

Since you've never tried it before, I'd wait until your taste is back to normal honestly.

I’m not sure how I’m going to accurately assess using it.
That is tough indeed.
Do you think taste could come back in a week or so?
Based on your previous experiences?

I honestly don't remember when it got back for me...am bad at numbers and time in retrospective.

Do you think taste could come back in a week or so?
I don’t think it really affected my taste much the first time I had Covid. I don’t really remember.

That leads to my concern with waiting…the internet says most people get it back “within 30 days,” but that’s a long window, when the challenge is nowhere near that.

That’s why I’m making my first one tomorrow. Full speed ahead. Maybe I’ll review it with my Covid-influenced tastebuds: “I found the plasticine notes of the carrots played really well against the Vaseline-like texture of the chicken…” :laugh:

I don’t think it really affected my taste much the first time I had Covid. I don’t really remember.

That leads to my concern with waiting…the internet says most people get it back “within 30 days,” but that’s a long window, when the challenge is nowhere near that.

That’s why I’m making my first one tomorrow. Full speed ahead. Maybe I’ll review it with my Covid-influenced tastebuds: “I found the plasticine notes of the carrots played really well against the Vaseline-like texture of the chicken…” :laugh:
Are you taking paxlovid? That's the metallic taste if you are and should go away as soon as you are done. I could only eat right before I was due for the next dose or immediately after a dose, otherwise the food was likely to make a reappearance. Metallic taste is a known side effect of the medication.

Are you taking paxlovid? That's the metallic taste if you are and should go away as soon as you are done. I could only eat right before I was due for the next dose or immediately after a dose, otherwise the food was likely to make a reappearance. Metallic taste is a known side effect of the medication.
No Paxlovid, the doc said since I’m under 60 with no other underlying issues to just ride it out.

I’m feeling a lot better now, but my taste is a little funky - it’s not gone, it’s just…different.

I'm be writing this up in the next couple of days.

20240804_180055.jpg

In this case, for an entire large head of cauliflower, I had to make up a second batch of saffron and go again.

I filled 2 roasting trays with the cauliflower.

20240804_143453.jpg
20240804_143457.jpg

And there's a great date vinegariette dressing that goes over this as well.

20240804_180523.jpg

I can't wait until tomorrow night's evening meal. The flavour was amazing. So floral and totally not what we were expecting.

My first entry.

Hokkaido squash,garlic and potato mash with Saffron infused roasted sesame oil.

Light but delightful lunch!

Recipe to follow.

I found the scent and taste to be similar to grass stems, a hint of flowery and to my surprise a slight hint of peppery, like when it goes down to your throat almost...

I questioned could it be anything else? Garlic, turmeric? I reckon it is the Saffron.

Was very careful to use very little (7 strands) Saffron.

Definitely enriched my cooking experience.

20240804_123627.jpg
20240804_124025.jpg
20240804_130222.jpg

Ok, my first entry:

Recipe - Chicken Corn Soup

I posted earlier that I was surprised and delighted to learn that saffron has long been a feature in Amish & Mennonite cooking, which led me to choose a staple from that cuisine, a contender for flagship dish, even, for my first entry.

I’ve eaten this soup growing up, cooked both by my mom and her mom. It’s ubiquitous in these parts and in Pennsylvania, especially around Lancaster County. I’ve also eaten gallons of this soup there, and I’ve made plenty of it myself.

Never, though, did I know that the secret ingredient to the soup’s intense golden color is saffron. I just thought everyone else’s chickens were fatter than mine. :laugh:

To be fair, I’ve never known my mom or grandmom to use saffron. I don’t even know if they knew what it was, but as soon as I got it into this soup, I said, “Ahhhhh, that’s where the color comes from.”

My previous chicken soups? Fine, but a bit…pale, like comparing a cheap supermarket egg yolk with one from a happy, healthy home hen. No comparison, and that’s how it was with this soup.

The broth was golden. The chicken was infused with it. Even the corn shone a little deeper. Very nice!

Onto the taste - I again defer to MrsT, because she’s the expert in all things Amish, and the first thing she said, while I was still boiling and toiling was, “Oh my god, it smells so good in here…like the Bird-in-Hand in Intercourse!”

The Bird-in-Hand is her favorite Amish restaurant (years ago, no longer), located in Intercourse, Pennsylvania. Good start, I think.

When the time came, I served her up a bowl, then she commented on the color: “It’s so yellow! This looks so good!”

The taste did not disappoint. Her comment was, “I don’t know what you did, but this is the best chicken soup I’ve ever had! Ever! Better than my grandma’s! Better than the Bird-in-Hand! This is perfect!”

Thank you, saffron.

You can see the strength of the color that the saffron yielded:

I took one more, in direct sunlight, you can see it even better:

IMG_8941.jpeg

I do have some secondary thoughts about the saffron, I’ll add those in a separate post.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom