The CookingBites recipe challenge: saffron

Status
Not open for further replies.
Onto the taste - I again defer to MrsT, because she’s the expert in all things Amish, and the first thing she said, while I was still boiling and toiling was, “Oh my god, it smells so good in here…like the Bird-in-Hand in Intercourse!”
I'm so glad you added the explanation. I was left wondering for a moment there

Written up

Recipe - Roasted Saffron Cauliflower with Date Dressing

20240805_175706.jpg

I'm be writing this up in the next couple of days.

View attachment 116915

In this case, for an entire large head of cauliflower, I had to make up a second batch of saffron and go again.

I filled 2 roasting trays with the cauliflower.

View attachment 116916View attachment 116917

And there's a great date vinegariette dressing that goes over this as well.

View attachment 116918

I can't wait until tomorrow night's evening meal. The flavour was amazing. So floral and totally not what we were expecting.
Colorful and creative. Love it.

I'm so glad you added the explanation. I was left wondering for a moment there
Yeah, several years back someone here in Ohio (not far from Pennsylvania) at a small dinner gathering amongst friends mentioned that they were going to intercourse, and I said, "Oh, you mean you two are going to have intercourse?" And they laughingly explained that they had family in Intercourse, PA. And wine came out my nose.

Quick question for the saffron veterans:

One of my upcoming recipes calls for blooming some saffron in hot water, then adding the liquid to the rest of the ingredients.

To me, when something says “add the liquid,” that implies straining out the solids first; otherwise, it would say “add the saffron and the liquid” or “add the saffron with the liquid.”

A little digging on the internet didn’t turn up much. A couple of similar recipes did say to strain out the threads, one specifically said to leave in the threads, but the overwhelming majority didn’t specify.

What do you all do? Thanks.

One of my upcoming recipes calls for blooming some saffron in hot water, then adding the liquid to the rest of the ingredients.

To me, when something says “add the liquid,” that implies straining out the solids first; otherwise, it would say “add the saffron and the liquid” or “add the saffron with the liquid.”

A little digging on the internet didn’t turn up much. A couple of similar recipes did say to strain out the threads, one specifically said to leave in the threads, but the overwhelming majority didn’t specify.

I am not a veteran, but I have cooked with it a few times and I always left the threads, couldn't really detect any texture and a very subtle flavor. Also I saw some posts here with saffron and the threads were in the "after" photos...

Alright, I have been thinking about it and I have an idea of what I want to do: saffron and champagne shrimp and grits. I don't have a recipe so I will have to figure out ingredients, amounts, and steps (and take photos) as I do it and write them down, since I undoubtedly will be drinking some champagne while I do it and might not remember everything correctly, LOL.

So if it turns out as good as it sounds I will write it up and submit it!

Edited to add that technically I will be using "sparkling wine" and not actual "champagne", and I will put a disclaimer in the actual recipe about that...

Last edited:

Put in the liquid (in which they have soaked) and the threads. It would be criminal to sieve out the beautiful stamens! Is the recipe for a dessert or a cocktail perhaps?

Put in the liquid (in which they have soaked) and the threads. It would be criminal to sieve out the beautiful stamens! Is the recipe for a dessert or a cocktail perhaps?
Thanks. It’s for a cake, though I don’t think it’ll be a terribly sweet one.

Thanks. It’s for a cake, though I don’t think it’ll be a terribly sweet one.

Definitely leave them in. They will add a pretty look. Here is an example from something I made:

1722889382209.png

Recipe - Saffron and Marmalade Tea Bread

... I can see some logic in removing the threads for a cocktail. If so, I'd keep the stamens and use again. A few strands of saffron can go a long way.

I always add everything

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom