The CookingBites recipe challenge: saffron

Status
Not open for further replies.
everything is more of a general outline
How fascinating. As we mentioned in a different thread...it was somehow expected of the cook to know...
Well for pro chefs it might be doable, I'm thinking, hm, no, unless it is as simple as cooking carrots...

I would like to see some of those recipes, if at all possible....
I cook like that anyway :)

Now this is interesting…

I went poking around looking for something, and I bumped into this and that, and a book fell down from one of the shelves.

Picked it up, and it turned out to be one of those gift shop books from Hampton Court…specifically dealing with the food service there, and it contains a handful of period recipes, in their original Tudor English, and all but one or two contain saffron.

They do go as far as offer a modern translation, but even with that, I wouldn’t attempt one of these, as no times or amounts or temps are given - everything is more of a general outline.

I would like to see some of those recipes, if at all possible....
I cook like that anyway :)
I’ll post one up today, but not as a recipe, in the original Tudor English, just to give you an idea. I think that should be ok. They’re quite entertaining to read, especially the ones that deal with roasting swans! :laugh:

Is Tudor English similar as what the Canterbury tales are written in?
We read part of it at high school and I found it pretty easy to understand if you read it out loud.

My saffron has arrived!
Quite excited to try it out!

The label says Istrian Saffron, Istria being the region.

Next to a teaspoon.

20240802_140324.jpg
20240802_140332.jpg
20240802_140403.jpg

We read part of it at high school and I found it pretty easy to understand if you read it out loud.
I don’t know, but I’m able to understand most of it, but like you say, by reading it aloud.

Ok, here’s an example from the little booklet I mentioned:

Beef Y-Stywyd
Take fayre beef of the ribbys of the fore quarterys, an smyte in fayre pecys, an wasche the beef in-to a fayre potte; than take the water that the beef was sothin yn, an strayne it thorw a straynowr, an sethe the same water and beef in a potte, an let hem boyle to-gederys; than take canel, clowes, maces, graynys of parise, quibibes, and oynons y-mynced, perceli, an sawge, an caste ther-to, an let hem boyle to-gederys; an than take a lof of brede, an stepe it with brothe an venegre, an than draw it thorw a straynoure, and let it be stylle; an whan it is nere y-now, caste the lycour ther-to, but nowt to moche, an than let boyle onys, an cast safroun ther-to a quantyte; than take salt an venegre, and cast ther-to, an loke that it be poynaunt y-now, & serue forth.

That’s from “The Taste of the Fire: The Story of the Tudor Kitchens at Hampton Court Palace,” published by Historic Royal Palaces.

Not too difficult to decipher most of it, but definitely lacking in times, measurements, and temps. I also note the variations in spelling of a few words (an/and, in/yn, straynowr/straynoure - I wonder if the Renaissance period had grammar police, because that would have driven them bonkers).

Note the saffron, so feel free to have a go!

Ok, here’s an example from the little booklet I mentioned:

Beef Y-Stywyd
Take fayre beef of the ribbys of the fore quarterys, an smyte in fayre pecys, an wasche the beef in-to a fayre potte; than take the water that the beef was sothin yn, an strayne it thorw a straynowr, an sethe the same water and beef in a potte, an let hem boyle to-gederys; than take canel, clowes, maces, graynys of parise, quibibes, and oynons y-mynced, perceli, an sawge, an caste ther-to, an let hem boyle to-gederys; an than take a lof of brede, an stepe it with brothe an venegre, an than draw it thorw a straynoure, and let it be stylle; an whan it is nere y-now, caste the lycour ther-to, but nowt to moche, an than let boyle onys, an cast safroun ther-to a quantyte; than take salt an venegre, and cast ther-to, an loke that it be poynaunt y-now, & serue forth.

That’s from “The Taste of the Fire: The Story of the Tudor Kitchens at Hampton Court Palace,” published by Historic Royal Palaces.

Not too difficult to decipher most of it, but definitely lacking in times, measurements, and temps. I also note the variations in spelling of a few words (an/and, in/yn, straynowr/straynoure - I wonder if the Renaissance period had grammar police, because that would have driven them bonkers).

Note the saffron, so feel free to have a go!
Doesn't sound to good to me.
Oh now, that sounds like a challenge-within-a-challenge…I accept!

Besides, I’m going to spend $20 or whatever on what amounts to a thimbleful of saffron, I’ve got to find some different ways to use it.
Not sure what you mean by a challenge within a challenge.

Doesn't sound to good to me.
Let’s just say…the picture looks as “good” as the recipe sounds. :laugh:

There’s one for an apple puree/sauce kind of thing that doesn’t sound too difficult, but boy they sure liked to thicken everything with bread back then, I can say that much.

That, and smiting things. They were smiting left and right; “smyte thine swan in fayre pecys…wythe thine own fyne blade, smyte merrily a goodly-syzed porcyne corpse to many separayte pecys…” :laugh:

The challenge of being someone who’s not used saffron before making a cocktail with it that doesn’t taste like medicine.

I’m on it! 🧪 🍸

Hmmm. Its not a challenge. Its simply advice. Its difficult to think of an analogy but its a bit like someone who has never eaten chillies saying they are going to start by making a really hot chilli sauce. Not really a correct analogy but...

I'm simply concerned that you will get put off saffron.

Canterbury Tales is what's called Middle English. 14th century.Tudor English is more Shakespeare. Late 15th and early 16th century.
I had to study Chaucer for O level. Another foreign language! Mind you, Shakespeare is often challenging.

I guess what I could do, when I retire, is read the local translation of a Shakespeare play and then the original. Possibly having both books side by side.

Prefacing all of that with a good analysis by an expert, to sort of guide me through. So many fantastic layers to his works...I'm affraid I would be missing a lot without the on point literary directions.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom