The CookingBites recipe challenge: saffron

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oh yes, I know, but the longer I wait the harder it is to recall everything I did, and since it's an original recipe I created I have to go from memory...the older I get the harder it is to do that!
Jot it down in note form now? I learned long ago to scribble quantities and method in shorthand as I cook. No chance I will remember it later! Annoyingly and ironically I have a lovely dish which happens to contain saffron for which I have lost those jottings. I made the dish making notes, photographed it and then the very next day ended up in hospital for a few weeks. When I got home there was no sign of the notes...

Jot it down in note form now? I learned long ago to scribble quantities and method in shorthand as I cook. No chance I will remember it later! Annoyingly and ironically I have a lovely dish which happens to contain saffron for which I have lost those jottings. I made the dish making notes, photographed it and then the very next day ended up in hospital for a few weeks. When I got home there was no sign of the notes...
I did write down ingredients and quantities and took photos. It's the steps. Right now I remember just fine but I wasn't too tipsy thankfully 🙃 so should be ok.

IMG_4230.jpeg

Moroccan Saffron Couscous.

Yes, I used many ingredients I planned on using for the last challenge. But, I hate to let anything go to waste.

One big thing going on here is the addition of saffron threads. It works beautifully. The other big thing is that I actually made a recipe from scratch for the first time in a long time. I’ve been in a rut lately: absurdly busy with work, distracted by having to spend every waking moment around my family (even though I do love them).

But, I suddenly feel the old magic again. I need to make time for this sort of thing more often. I will post the recipe soon. But, I want to savor this moment, and my new creation, now.

Last edited:
I posted my Instant Pot/Pressure Cooker risotto recipe awhile ago, so can't enter it here. :(

Why is it tomorrow never comes? LOL!

My middle daughter and my grandson are still visiting from Texas and don't leave until Sunday. I just really haven't had a lot of free time to sit down and write up this recipe. I'll get to it, but likely not tomorrow. It might be Sunday but I just don't know...oh yeah, as you can see, my "champagne" is actually California sparkling wine. They put champagne on the label, please don't hold it against me :laugh:
View attachment 117079View attachment 117080
Okay, I finally got around to writing this up. Now I can go take care of some housework and dinner prep for tonight!

Recipe - Creamy saffron and champagne shrimp and grits

1723140261396.jpeg

I know that somewhere or other, ( can't for the life of me find the post) Timenspace posted that she'd had a problem making her pralines because the chocolate became "grainy". I noticed she used Milka white chocolate, which is a popular brand made by Mondelez.
I suspect the same "grainy" effect would happen with Nestlé, Hershey's, etc., because they're mass-produced industrial "chocolates"with a whole load of additives.
White chocolate is not, strictly speaking, chocolate; it's cocoa butter, milk and sugar. for home-made, or artisan chocolates, it's probably better to find a company that makes chocolate for the food industry ( Confectioner's chocolate?) ; restaurants, caterers, artisan chocolate makers, etc. because the chocolate will be simpler and easier to manage.
Don't get me wrong: I can devour a Milky Bar, or a Hershey's Cookies & Cream in a minute! Nothing wrong with them, just that they're designed for the general public rather than the "professional"public. Hope that's useful.
The advice is not mine, either; I've got two very close friends who make chocolate, and they're the ones who gave me the advice.

The advice is not mine, either; I've got two very close friends who make chocolate, and they're the ones who gave me the advice.
Oh how attentive of you, thank you so much!
My appreciation to your chocolatiers friends as well!
Yes, my suspicion went in that direction too...am yet to investigate the artisan chocolate...
I hope I manage it in the few days prior to my education 'marathon'...
And then I can reply to " How did you spend your summer", with, among other things, " I had the best imaginable international cooking masterclass so far"!

My appreciation to your chocolatiers friends as well!
One of these friends is Sander - he's Dutch, but came to Venezuela many years ago, and makes really, really good bonbons. they don't come cheap, but he is an absolute master with cacao.
The other friend(s) are a Corsican family, Franceschi, who arrived in eastern Venezuela in the 1830's. I met them through a squash-playing friend. I knew the kids when they were 5,6 years old.
The Cacao plantation was managed by two of them ( who are now in their 80s) and, yes, it was viable, but they didn't have the skills youngsters have these days.
When the kids graduated from university, in Marketing, Business Administration, Accounting, they took over. In less than 10 years, they transformed the company into a multinational, selling across Europe, Latin America and Japan. They've won prizes and awards internationally for their pure cacao products - you can see them HERE.
About 5-6 years ago, the eldest partner wrote a book about the history of chocolate, and asked me to translate it into English. That was a daunting task! Don't know whether they actually published it or not, but at least it gave me a privileged insight into how a humble cacao bean is converted into some of the best dark chocolate in the world.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom