The General Chat Thread (2016-2022)

Status
Not open for further replies.
What happens to the chickens if you have to evacuate?
If we can't take them with us, depends on situation, rural fire service say their best chance is for us to release them and let them take their chances. there are plenty of rocky out crops around where they would miss fire if they survive the smoke. rfs say that the problem is not the initial fire which will burn through very quickly but deep smouldering fires within the eucalyptus trees which can take days to resurface and trees just randomly explode. so I would expect that the chooks would actually be ok under the house whilst initial fire storm goes past. but it's bleak let's put it that way. we'll take who we can catch but at the end of the day or lives have to come first. parts of the state, large parts in North and west are now on a severe alert (4 out of 6). at 5 (extreme) we evacuate. we are still on very high (3 out of 6).

Hope that the AB's work.

You have been missed and asked about on CC.
It's hard at the moment. even 9pm in the dark it is still +30C. the only sensible time to cycle is around 6am and I have other things to do then, including here and my blog, not to mention cooking and housework involving vacuum cleaner. by then time I finish it is usually because of the heat at around midday and it will be +35C in my studio. I'm told it would start to cool off in the next week or two. hopefully them I'll get some more time... afternoons are spent sleeping at the moment, or vegging out doing things like destoning cherries... wet cleaning, a little light gardening, or sleeping... siesta style.

If we can't take them with us, depends on situation, rural fire service say their best chance is for us to release them and let them take their chances. there are plenty of rocky out crops around where they would miss fire if they survive the smoke. rfs say that the problem is not the initial fire which will burn through very quickly but deep smouldering fires within the eucalyptus trees which can take days to resurface and trees just randomly explode. so I would expect that the chooks would actually be ok under the house whilst initial fire storm goes past. but it's bleak let's put it that way. we'll take who we can catch but at the end of the day or lives have to come first. parts of the state, large parts in North and west are now on a severe alert (4 out of 6). at 5 (extreme) we evacuate. we are still on very high (3 out of 6).

It's hard at the moment. even 9pm in the dark it is still +30C. the only sensible time to cycle is around 6am and I have other things to do then, including here and my blog, not to mention cooking and housework involving vacuum cleaner. by then time I finish it is usually because of the heat at around midday and it will be +35C in my studio. I'm told it would start to cool off in the next week or two. hopefully them I'll get some more time... afternoons are spent sleeping at the moment, or vegging out doing things like destoning cherries... wet cleaning, a little light gardening, or sleeping... siesta style.

:ohmy: the thought of losing your home and all the hard work put into it is awful, fingers crossed

:ohmy: the thought of losing your home and all the hard work put into it is awful, fingers crossed
Thank you. watching the fires near me app and an site is quite useful. there's a grass fire 41km away under control but been burning for days now. there another to the south of me which is much further away but less than 100km. that one is another matter. it's out of control still. but it's not the first time we have faced this.
When we lived in the south of England we had an incident every 3 years on average. and by that I mean a bad incident taking out over 100 acres of grassland and threatening our home. we have been forced out once. we were evacuated for 5 days. I used to ring home and get the answering machine and be relieved because it meant that 1 the telephone line still existed (it was under ground for the most part except obviously at the house), 2) we still had electricity, now the cables ran across the common & nature reserve, so they still existed and 3)the actual physical device still existed to answer in the first place. I was told many times I was too logical, too cold hearted about it and that I should go home and check. the fire brigade were using the hose as their closest access point to the fire the night we were told to leave. going back wasn't going to change that our help. our home and several others were only saved because an aircraft pilot taking off from a private air field near by speed the smoke and reported it. no names get recorded so we could only ever put something in an the national papers to day thank you, but we also asked various radio stations to say thank you as well for us.
After that, cycling or driving home and seeing the smoke over our area again used to have our thoughts as here we go again. which bit this time. whose done what. minor fires every season workout fail, sometimes 3 or 4 of them. major fires every 3 years on average. biggest took out +400acres and was started by a tin BBQ (one of those £2.99 jobs) put down on a dry peat 'soil'. strange that it caught fire, dry peat! :o_o:

So I guess we have just traded one for the other. the difference here is that it is country wide, they are used to it, every road had notices giving the fire risk status and you have to have a permit for an open fire once another type notice goes up. this like open garden fires are banned, but pizza ovens with proper chimneys are fine etc. it all depends on how it is done.

But we know the drill and here is a coordinated effort much more so than the south of England ever was. we have a fire pan, we will pack an emergency bag if it gets to level 4 in our area and we leave at level 5 (assuming I can get out that is). we watch and listen. it's all we can do, plus keep the water tanks topped up, particularly the bore water because it is a gravity feed and we have hoses all around the home. keeping ground damp around us and under the house helps.

I understand. I just wanted to let you know that people are thinking of you. I'm sure they do too.

Fingers crossed for you that the danger and heat subsides.

On a slightly less serious note, informed today that there is an outstanding balance of 2p on my account. Due to an error in their systems, five different amounts given now. Until it's paid I will not have full use of the service.

Said I'd pay it in cash, rejected. Then I pointed out the processing fee if paid over the phone. Compromise reached, I pay via card in the shop!

I understand. I just wanted to let you know that people are thinking of you. I'm sure they do too.

Fingers crossed for you that the danger and heat subsides.
Thank you.
The forecast is for another week of this great but Sunday may give us a small respite in that it will be 10C cooler at 26C! :scratchhead: but it will make all the difference.

Sadly I'm still up though. I had a bad attack earlier where I stayed coughing. my tracheomalacia kicked in and I cough until I either throw up or pass out. i usually manage a mixture of the two terminating in me throwing up repeatedly whilst regaining some degree of consciousness. that's what happened. then I get the delights of not being able to lie down again (it triggers another attack) for several hours. the result is that several more rows have been knitted on my rather large blanket. it is almost long enough now to cast off finally. :hyper:

then I have the delightful exercise of seeing in all the ends because being 11' 6" wide (400 stitches) a single ball of wool generally lasts either 2-3 rows or 5-6 if it is a larger ball. the issue is that knit with roughly 4 balls on the go simultaneously, so something is always about to run out. :eek:

And given that it is almost as long as it is wide, there are quite a few balls of wool involved. at least the matching 6' by 6' one will only take a couple of months to knit and a quarter of the wool!

Right time to see if sleep is possible. I've been up for just over 2 hrs now. with any luck, another dose of morphine and another antihistamines, I might make it to 5am without interruption! :sleep:

...while the forecast here is for temperatures of zero or below, snow, gale-force winds and sundry other amusements.

Earlier today, somebody remarked (rather unnecessarily, I thought) that it was cold today. Yes, I said, anybody would think it was winter in Northern Europe.
The weather is an ice-breaker topic of conversation.

It's not that cold. Only -2.3C at present, with no windchill to bother about.

It's just dropped to 30 degC here. Perhaps another 6 or 7 degrees drop overnight.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom