The General Chat Thread (2016-2022)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'll have to look it up. I know we're not encouraged to use the new low wattage bulbs because of mercury, but hadn't heard about arsenic in the others. Thanks.
There's not a UK waste collection contractor that will take a white LED light(double bagged and marked as hazardous waste, to comply with current regulations), because of the use of arsenic in them.

Council has a reported 50,000 of them, and the last time they were used in a replacement program was two years ago. That was ten lights out of the 50,000 bought.

If searching, try "white led's, arsenic, disposal, recycling"

Our local Post Office closed down a couple of weeks ago and the service has been moved into the local Booze For Less off license. I have just popped in to the Post Office just down the road from my work place and they have a notice up that they are closing down, the service is being moved to an off license on the main road. A real shame we are losing the local Post Offices but times change. I suppose they don't get used as much as they used to.

Do you still have the old red pillar boxes for posting letters?

We have nothing like that here. If you wish to post a letter, you must go to one of the three post offices in town.

Thing is, most people now have a mobile so the telephone boxes are no longer needed (unless you are well lubricated and cannot find a loo) :yuck: sorry but it happens

The last time I was in England the charge in the "public" toilet to take a mickey was 20p. No wonder the phone boxes are abused!

They put in a new pay phone at a gas station. It is right next to the fuel shut off for the station with the emergency numbers for gasoline (petrol) spills prominently visible.

They put in a new pay phone at a gas station. It is right next to the fuel shut off for the station with the emergency numbers for gasoline (petrol) spills prominently visible.
Your gas stations have toilet facilities, yes?

Our local Post Office closed down a couple of weeks ago.
Our area's main post office moved into a new, large, purpose-built home in the 1970s. In the 1990s the post office moved into a small shop in the middle of one of the malls. Said business promptly went bust and, for a while, we had no post office at all. It then re-opened on the first floor of W H Smith's - all very well if you could get through the only entrance/exit and be able to fight your way through to the stairs or the lifts. When you got upstairs it had a small area at the end of W H Smith's stationery, art supplies and computer accessories department. On a busy day the queue stretches right round this.

Recently our local small post office (in the newsagent's) has closed, and they wanted to close down the quite large local branch office, which is slap bang in the middle of a reasonably sized shopping centre and is used by all the local businesses as well as residents. A petition was got up, and they have now reconsidered, although another large branch office about 4 miles away is still set to close. The only other post office I know of in our area is quite a walk from where I live with no bus service at all, down the sort of streets most people have no wish to go on their own when it is dark - even in daylight it can be decidedly dodgy. I don't even like going round there in the car!

Our area's main post office moved into a new, large, purpose-built home in the 1970s. In the 1990s the post office moved into a small shop in the middle of one of the malls. Said business promptly went bust and, for a while, we had no post office at all. It then re-opened on the first floor of W H Smith's - all very well if you could get through the only entrance/exit and be able to fight your way through to the stairs or the lifts. When you got upstairs it had a small area at the end of W H Smith's stationery, art supplies and computer accessories department. On a busy day the queue stretches right round this.

Recently our local small post office (in the newsagent's) has closed, and they wanted to close down the quite large local branch office, which is slap bang in the middle of a reasonably sized shopping centre and is used by all the local businesses as well as residents. A petition was got up, and they have now reconsidered, although another large branch office about 4 miles away is still set to close. The only other post office I know of in our area is quite a walk from where I live with no bus service at all, down the sort of streets most people have no wish to go on their own when it is dark - even in daylight it can be decidedly dodgy. I don't even like going round there in the car!
WHSmiths have bought Post Office Counters. Which is why they now have them instore.

WHSmiths have bought Post Office Counters. Which is why they now have them instore.
But there is only one W H Smith locally. Other ones in the borough have opened up either in sweet shops, small grocery shops, or Tesco (but not our large Tesco). None of these are near where I live except for the ones mentioned in my previous post. The main one is the only main post office left now in an area of 250,000 people. The local branch office and the other small local post office serve 15,000 in our area alone, which is larger than some English towns.

But there is only one W H Smith locally. Other ones in the borough have opened up either in sweet shops, small grocery shops, or Tesco (but not our large Tesco). None of these are near where I live except for the ones mentioned in my previous post. The main one is the only main post office left now in an area of 250,000 people. The local branch office and the other small local post office serve 15,000 in our area alone, which is larger than some English towns.
They(WHSmiths) get first refusal if you like. None locally, it can go/open elsewhere.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom