The General Chat Thread (2016-2022)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Here the law is no one under 18 is allowed to ride in the back of a pickup.

When the cab and the bed of the pick-up are full of people - Kampuchea.

khmer pick up 2.jpg

Off topic,
My dog apparently knows how to cook. This morning I was preoccupied when I started his breakfast. I put the water in the pan, put the pan on the stove, put the frozen chicken breast in the pan. Walked off to start the laundry. About 10 minutes later, the dog found me and walked me to the stove. I had forgot to turn it on.

Off topic,
My dog apparently knows how to cook. This morning I was preoccupied when I started his breakfast. I put the water in the pan, put the pan on the stove, put the frozen chicken breast in the pan. Walked off to start the laundry. About 10 minutes later, the dog found me and walked me to the stove. I had forgot to turn it on.

When it comes to food dogs are pretty sharp :laugh:

Electricity rates are set differently here.
One electric company here while back did a few nights and weekends promotion.

Over here, British Gas have just started offering free electricity from 9 to 5 Saturdays or Sundays, but a quick calculation showed my cheap rate economy 7 tariff was still cheaper even if I could physically fit all the cooking, washing, washing up etc I do all weeknights into 8 hours in one day.

Off topic,
One of my previous dogs used to turn the gas on but couldn't light it. That is why my house is now all electric. My cats used to be able to open my old microwave, and they often turn the TV on - e.g 3 o'clock this morning! I think some animals are too clever for their own good at times.

Admin Note:
I have moved a number of posts from 2 separate threads... the New to CookingBites? Make your first post here and say HELLO :) thread and the to To sleep or not to sleep? thread...
I have no issues with general chat, in fact I would rather like to encourage it, but it has a home and that is this thread unless it is food/cooking/baking or similarly related content in which case it should merit a thread of its own. I just ask that if a thread is going off topic for more than a couple of posts, can you please move the discussion to either a new thread if it is cooking related or over into this thread. A quick 'report' of the post will get the content moved for you if it is needed for reference purposes.

One of my previous dogs used to turn the gas on but couldn't light it. That is why my house is now all electric. My cats used to be able to open my old microwave, and they often turn the TV on - e.g 3 o'clock this morning! I think some animals are too clever for their own good at times.
If I try to catch some shut eye during the day and either an alarm goes off or it is 'feed' time, my chickens will locate which room I am in and come sit both underneath it and at a window and make such a racket that it will wake me! Yesterday I had only had my head down for 15 minutes before one of them hopped up onto the window ledge outside and started tapping at the window. Another stood at the door to the kitchen which was open (but on the flyscreen otherwise she would have been in my bedroom!) and despite being one of the smallest chickens I have makes the most noise and squawked and squawked until I gave up!
They will and do physically follow me under the house and always know which room I am in!
And the least said about me being late with their breakfast the better! It is a really good thing that we don't have neighbours!

(My disappointing first experience of seeing a shooting star probably has a lot to do with being on the outerskirts of a city i.e. air pollution).

I live literally yards from the intersection of 3 major roads and 2 main roads, complete with flyover, all of which can be jammed solid for most of the mornings and evenings, and a motorway about a mile away which is like a giant car park in the rush hours. All of these are a blaze of street lights, and our residential roads have those horrible LED street lights, so we don't see the sky let alone stars. It's almost like daylight.

It's no wonder I don't sleep - there are 2 LED street lights which shine directly into my bedroom and 3 others which are just yards away which do a pretty good job too at the front of the house, and the back of the house is nearly as bad. Because our garages are built in front of the houses and shield some of the light, I have taken to sleeping downstairs with the dog and the cats :D

If I try to catch some shut eye during the day and either an alarm goes off or it is 'feed' time.....

I have alarms set for my medication times, five of which also happen to be the times the dog is fed or gets his snacks, and two of which coincide with cat feeding times. The cats aren't so much of a problem except for those sharp, pointy bits on their feet, but a 70+ lb dog jumping on you when you're asleep is something else. I used to have a ferret years ago that went barmy every time the microwave pinged because his food used to be thawed out in it as well.

And soon....diesel cars will be fined during peak hours. This has to be appraised with the knowledge that London frequently exceeds the legal air pollution limit - it is lethal and kills thousands!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-38979754
In central London the air was 10 (worst) on the pollution scale for several days earlier this year, and where I live it was an 8, yet on the same days a couple of miles down the road from me on the other side of the motorway it was only a 2. All the main roads by me (6 of them) and the motorway are practically jammed solid during rush hours and very busy for the rest of the day and night all week. One of my granddaughters had terrible asthma, so my daughter, her husband and the girls moved out of the area altogether and now live over 100 miles away in the Lincolnshire countryside. It actually takes less time to drive from hers to mine than it did for either of us to drive 8 miles to work in the rush hour down here.

It's no wonder I don't sleep - there are 2 LED street lights which shine directly into my bedroom and 3 others which are just yards away which do a pretty good job too at the front of the house, and the back of the house is nearly as bad. Because our garages are built in front of the houses and shield some of the light, I have taken to sleeping downstairs with the dog and the cats :D
One of our rural properties (as tenants) had those awful flood lights that are on motion detectors... the ones that shine at you and blind you at the same time, yet somehow manage not to actually light up anything useful. After a month, it 'suddenly' stopped working... :whistling: our agent was most unhappy that it didn't work but little did he know that we had done a touch of re-wiring and installed an on/off switch.... the last place we were in also had one that conveniently stopped working as well!
I have found that there is more than sufficient light around to stand on a flat piece of ground and walk to a door, if people will only give their eyes a chance! It is really easy to see lighter colours in the dark or even darker colours - OK not great if the ground is not flat and here we had 2 of those cheap (tacky) solar lights that are buried inside 2 containers. We know to walk to the immediate right of the pair of them and then cross onto the path at night. It's not difficult and much nicer. Here when the moon shines you actually don't need to put any lights on at all to walk around the house because the moon is so bright!

Ahhh the chooks think it is midday (it was last week but daylight saving has now ended and its 11am for me) and they are now calling me to feed them! I'll get no peace until they are fed...
I have alarms set for my medication times
All of my alarms (5:30am, 1pm. 2pm., 5pm, 9:30pm) are medication alarms. I think there should be another one in there somewhere but can't for the life of me think what it is ... I guess I will find out shortly! It seems a rather large jump from 5:30am to 1pm.... can't help thinking something is missing off the new phone. For some reason the alarms did not transfer over when the phone did everything else for the transfer (I broke the screen for the 3rd time and even after the first break the phone was acting up. it has had a broken rear glass since about the 4th week I had it on a 2 year contract, but I think somewhere along the lines the system board must have been damaged because despite rebuilding it from scratch many times, I had numerous little bugs like if I made a call the screen would go completely blank and I could not hang up unless I plugged the phone into the mains! I got around that one by purchasing a handset for home that had Bluetooth functionality and connected the home cordless landline handsets to my mobile phone so that I could make calls from the cordless via the network I have in the house and acreage which has a much better coverage than the single spot in the house where I get a mobile signal on a good day if the wind is blowing the right direction...) and away from home if I used the car also via Bluetooth... but it wasn't really safe for me, so I finally had to accept defeat and purchase a new handset for me.... annoying as hell to be honest because I still haven't finished paying for the contract in the UK (and don't until September) and now am in Australia and the handset is defunct!

Why's the handset defunct?

I've two from there, Australia, relatives work, that work up here.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom