The General Chat Thread (2016-2022)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes I fully agree. I don't really understand the trend for cupcakes - is it mostly about their cute appearance? To me it is sugar overload!

Not a huge fan of cake anyway, don't mind now and again but those things just stunk.

My colleague has a visitor today and he has bought her some doughnuts which I will also refuse, too stodgy for me.

Wow...that's a lot to deal with but slightly different scenario. I admire your ability to not let it deter you (do you cycle more slowly now?) However I was affected by the unpredictability of a parked car door suddenly being swung open into me. It's not about having been injured so much as it having happened. It profoundly changed my cycling experience because - as mentioned - when I tried cycling again (after my shoulder had healed) I became VERY nervous about cycling past each parked car in case it happened again. I am a survivor and do not have a victim's mentality but the experience had an impact on me that I could not overcome mentally....my body kept sending me alarm signals with each parked car....

I understand this - and its pretty well impossible to avoid passing parked cars. I had an accident in my car a few years ago. I was travelling along a fairly quiet stretch of road in the country when someone came out of a side turning on the left straight into the side of my car. My car was a write off - nobody got hurt but I couldn't stop shaking for about an hour. Now I get nervous every time I pass a side turning with a car waiting at the junction and intuitively veer towards the middle of the road to avoid it! I now hate driving whereas I used to quite enjoy it - although I never enjoyed motorway driving for fear of accidents.

although I never enjoyed motorway driving for fear of accidents.
Odd that - I would say that is perceived danger - there are no pedestrians no side turnings no opposing traffic and no traffic signals. Like flying when there is an incident it is usually spectacular but overall they are the safest roads to be on.

Odd that - I would say that is perceived danger - there are no pedestrians no side turnings no opposing traffic and no traffic signals. Like flying when there is an incident it is usually spectacular but overall they are the safest roads to be on.
Key word there being 'overall' since, of course, people do die constantly in car accidents!

Traffic lights on slip roads are commonplace. Both on & off.

Its the lorry drivers that freak me out!

Yes they are a great concern to cyclists too e.g. those who have poor visibility (blind spots) with their mirrors - can be lethal!

Maybe they need a couple more mirrors?

truckmirrors-s.jpg

About Masterchef - I read today that the thing the judges, John and Gregg, are not allowed to comment on is that the food they taste is always cold!

I was wondering about that, i.e. feeling sorry for the last person to present their dish to them (thinking it would be the coldest). I guess there is no way round this, i.e. to solve the issue. Except - just had a thought - couldn't they stagger the times so that each contestant would start 5 mins after the one before, thereby finishing 5 mins later?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom