The General Chat Thread (2016-2022)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oh thanks for explaining about your back. How strange and alarming that it should suddenly give out like that! I am a relative newbie and I tried to understand your condition from what you previously posted! Wow you cycled much further than I ever did! Kudos!
highfive.gif
It transpires that I have an unknown birth defect in the lower spine. It never formed correctly and was in the words of my consultant, a ticking time bomb.

We've no regrets, we took an opportunity of a lifetime and done loads. We're now on a second opportunity of a life time, being paid to live in Australia for 4 years!

Oh thanks for explaining about your back. How strange and alarming that it should suddenly give out like that! I am a relative newbie and I tried to understand your condition from what you previously posted! Wow you cycled much further than I ever did! Kudos!
highfive.gif

Unfortunately I am too nervous to cycle again. The door from a parked car suddenly swung out into me! I was relatively OK, i.e. pain in shoulder for weeks but no real damage. However, I became far too nervous cycling past parked cars after that. I was always such an assertive cyclist too!

As luck would have it though, the time that this occurred dovetailed nicely into me becoming a pensioner and qualifying for a free bus pass!
No excuse!
"Robert Marchand has clocked up 105 years and now a new record for the furthest distance cycled in one hour.

The French cyclist managed 22.547km (14 miles) at the national velodrome, taking the top spot in a new category - for riders over 105.

Mr Marchand already holds the record for those aged over 100 - 26.927km - set in 2012.

He "could have done better", he says, but missed a sign showing 10 minutes to go."

Mick 'Iron Man' Murphy

"As late as 1998 he was performing circus tricks such as sword swallowing, balancing ladders on his chin, fire-eating and walking on his hands, in London’s Covent Garden."

Swallowing swords in his 60's.

Last edited:
The door from a parked car suddenly swung out into me! I was relatively OK, i.e. pain in shoulder for weeks but no real damage. However, I became far too nervous cycling past parked cars after that. I was always such an assertive cyclist too!
I'm sorry about your accident. But for me, it wouldn't stop me. A lesson learnt and back on the bike. I can't not cycle even if it's for leisure!

No excuse!
"Robert Marchand has clocked up 105 years and now a new record for the furthest distance cycled in one hour.

The French cyclist managed 22.547km (14 miles) at the national velodrome, taking the top spot in a new category - for riders over 105.

Mr Marchand already holds the record for those aged over 100 - 26.927km - set in 2012.

He "could have done better", he says, but missed a sign showing 10 minutes to go."

Mick 'Iron Man' Murphy

"As late as 1998 he was performing circus tricks such as sword swallowing, balancing ladders on his chin, fire-eating and walking on his hands, in London’s Covent Garden."

Swallowing swords in his 60's.
Clearly you haven't understood the impact of that accident .... never mind.

I'm sorry about your accident. But for me, it wouldn't stop me. A lesson learnt and back on the bike. I can't not cycle even if it's for leisure!
It wasn't a question of learning a lesson since I did nothing wrong in the first place!

I did get back on the bike...but it was sooo unnerving... I could no longer enjoy cycling since I got so worried with every parked car. Unless it happened directly to you, maybe it cannot be understood. I tried giving parked cars a wider berth but that placed me more in the space that should be for cars so that wasn't possible. I kept half expecting a parked car door to swing out onto me again....it was far too unpleasant to endure....and I really tried because I so loved cycling.

Last edited:
Clearly you haven't understood the impact of that accident .... never mind.
It was regards the free bus pass, not the accident.

I was t-boned by a drunk driver(possibly on something else as well), in car that had no VED, insurance or Mot. He had no licence or insurance, and for good measure the car had been borrowed from his girlfriend, to allow him to get home. Car had no lights and he supplied false details to the police.

That was ten years ago, just before 19:00 hours, on the 25th March 2005. On my way home from work, a job which I later lost due to this incident.

Last edited:
highfive.gif

Unfortunately I am too nervous to cycle again. The door from a parked car suddenly swung out into me! I was relatively OK, i.e. pain in shoulder for weeks but no real damage. However, I became far too nervous cycling past parked cars after that. I was always such an assertive cyclist too!

As luck would have it though, the time that this occurred dovetailed nicely into me becoming a pensioner and qualifying for a free bus pass!
Sorry that it put you off cycling. 11 years ago I got hit by a car whilst we were both travelling at speed. Blue lights, paramedics, full immobilisation, broken bones, dislocated shoulder, missing teeth, a hole between my top lip and nose and much blood. After an operation, eleven dental appointments and three months off work I couldn't wait to get back on my (new) bike and fight back. Less than 12 months later I was cycling 100 miles at a time.
There are ways to cycle away from traffic, on cycle trails and woodland, I hope you get your confidence back to ride. The more of us out there, the more to morons will expect us to be there and check before doing something stupid.

It was regards the free bus pass, not the accident.

I was t-boned by a drunk driver(possibly on something else as well), in car that had no VED, insurance or Mot. He had no licence or insurance, and for good measure the car had been borrowed from his girlfriend, to allow him to get home. Car had no lights and he supplied false details to the police.

That was ten years ago, just before 19:00 hours, on the 25th March 2005. On my way home from work, a job which I later lost due to this incident.
Strange that you've never mentioned that on cyclechat, given that it was so similar to my collision, and 2005 was 12 years ago. Just saying

Last edited:
Strange that you've never mentioned that on cyclechat, given that it was so similar to my collision, and 2005 was 12 years ago. Just saying :whistling:
It's there. And has been for a few years now.

Take it that your quick search has found it? Been mentioned a few times since it happened, even on the Cycling Plus site. You passed "comments" on it, more than once. Both sites.

In italics, added in edit

Last edited:
It has been nearly 34 years ago but I still remember going in a gents restroom. It was on a military base that did not train women hence no ladies restroom.
The now very ex but then husband told me there was no ladies restroom so I would have to wait two hours to pee. I gave him two choices, he could either watch the door while I peed or I would gladly pee in the corner. Smart man chose option 1.
Didn't bother me in the least.
Oh and here now most places have changing areas in both sexes restrooms and some places have family restrooms. When my kids were little, you carried a small blanket in the diaper bag.

I have come across a few places in this country that are parent and baby changing rather than mother and baby so we are slowly progressing

One of the women here has bought in cup cakes to share around for her birthday, I politely declined the overwhelming sickly sweet smell of sugar put me right off, generous of her but no way could I eat one.

Sorry that it put you off cycling. 11 years ago I got hit by a car whilst we were both travelling at speed. Blue lights, paramedics, full immobilisation, broken bones, dislocated shoulder, missing teeth, a hole between my top lip and nose and much blood. After an operation, eleven dental appointments and three months off work I couldn't wait to get back on my (new) bike and fight back. Less than 12 months later I was cycling 100 miles at a time.
There are ways to cycle away from traffic, on cycle trails and woodland, I hope you get your confidence back to ride. The more of us out there, the more to morons will expect us to be there and check before doing something stupid.
Wow...that's a lot to deal with but slightly different scenario. I admire your ability to not let it deter you (do you cycle more slowly now?) However I was affected by the unpredictability of a parked car door suddenly being swung open into me. It's not about having been injured so much as it having happened. It profoundly changed my cycling experience because - as mentioned - when I tried cycling again (after my shoulder had healed) I became VERY nervous about cycling past each parked car in case it happened again. I am a survivor and do not have a victim's mentality but the experience had an impact on me that I could not overcome mentally....my body kept sending me alarm signals with each parked car....

One of the women here has bought in cup cakes to share around for her birthday, I politely declined the overwhelming sickly sweet smell of sugar put me right off, generous of her but no way could I eat one.
Yes I fully agree. I don't really understand the trend for cupcakes - is it mostly about their cute appearance? To me it is sugar overload!

Wow...that's a lot to deal with but slightly different scenario. I admire your ability to not let it deter you (do you cycle more slowly now?) However I was affected by the unpredictability of a parked car door suddenly being swung open into me. It's not about having been injured so much as it having happened. It profoundly changed my cycling experience because - as mentioned - when I tried cycling again (after my shoulder had healed) I became VERY nervous about cycling past each parked car in case it happened again. I am a survivor and do not have a victim's mentality but the experience had an impact on me that I could not overcome mentally....my body kept sending me alarm signals with each parked car....

:hug:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom