The General Chat Thread (2016-2022)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes they are a great concern to cyclists too e.g. those who have poor visibility (blind spots) with their mirrors - can be lethal!
There are no cyclists on motorways. Besides as an adult it is the responsibility of everyone to assume that they haven't been seen, cyclist, car driver or whatever, crying out the usual 'it's somebody else's fault' is of no comfort. It is the only assumption that one day may save your life.

Key word there being 'overall' since, of course, people do die constantly in car accidents!
Far more on 'ordinary' roads
Traffic lights on slip roads are commonplace. Both on & off.
Off slips - by the time you reach them you should have slowed anyhow
On slips - used at peak times when everybody is going slow.
On main carriageway - no.

There are no cyclists on motorways. Besides as an adult it is the responsibility of everyone to assume that they haven't been seen, cyclist, car driver or whatever, crying out the usual 'it's somebody else's fault' is of no comfort. It is the only assumption that one day may save your life.
Yes I agree about taking responsibility. I am not sure that every cyclist knows about the blind spot with lorries though....

Yes I agree about taking responsibility. I am not sure that every cyclist knows about the blind spot with lorries though....

Some of us even tried contacting those in the industry, to get their help in making a video to make that clear whilst being able to put their side of the story. For some reason they declined.

We took it higher, result is that there's a whole new set of safety measures due out. Some have already been brought out(bus type glass doors on the nearside).

Some of us even tried contacting those in the industry, to get their help in making a video to make that clear whilst being able to put their side of the story. For some reason they declined.

We took it higher, result is that there's a whole new set of safety measures due out. Some have already been brought out(bus type glass doors on the nearside).
Well done...are you referring to this?

http://www.transportengineer.org.uk...-direct-vision-requirement-from-april/152876/

Safety measures will not always solve the problem. The problem is still one of assuming you have been seen - and this is NOT just cyclists this is everybody on the road. Assuming you have been seen - assuming you have right of way - assuming the road is clear sooner or later will get you in trouble.
As for saying that not all cyclists know about blind spots that is simply an argument for some sort of training for cyclists - we used to have the cycling proficiency scheme - now it seems to ask a cyclist to even read the highway code is treasonable [and yes I do ride]. Road safety is a SHARED responsibility and whatever you ride or drive it is not always 100% "somebody else's fault". Keep yourself safe - don't rely on gadgets rules and other people to do it for you because one day they won't.

Safety measures will not always solve the problem. The problem is still one of assuming you have been seen - and this is NOT just cyclists this is everybody on the road. Assuming you have been seen - assuming you have right of way - assuming the road is clear sooner or later will get you in trouble.
As for saying that not all cyclists know about blind spots that is simply an argument for some sort of training for cyclists - we used to have the cycling proficiency scheme - now it seems to ask a cyclist to even read the highway code is treasonable [and yes I do ride]. Road safety is a SHARED responsibility and whatever you ride or drive it is not always 100% "somebody else's fault". Keep yourself safe - don't rely on gadgets rules and other people to do it for you because one day they won't.
Technology is only any good if it works and those using it know how to use it. And its limitations.

Company involved in some building work near me have something I've only heard on their vehicles. An audio warning sounds saying that the vehicle is turning, when either the indicators are used, or the steering wheel is turned. Both at low speeds only. But you know which way it'll be going.

Talking to one of the drivers and some of them really "love" the system.

You could come visit. It isn't too warm here. Yet.

I've always wanted to visit Texas. Maybe someday. I've always wanted to try that steak challenge at the Big Texan in Amarillo.
A movie that my dad and I loved to watch together was The Life and Times of Judge Roy Bean.

This vacation will just be a car trip for a night or two, though.

I've always wanted to visit Texas. Maybe someday. I've always wanted to try that steak challenge at the Big Texan in Amarillo.
A movie that my dad and I loved to watch together was The Life and Times of Judge Roy Bean.

This vacation will just be a car trip for a night or two, though.
I am an hour from Judge Roy Bean.
Oh and you really don't want to do that Steakhouse in Amarillo. The steaks (regular size) aren't that great.
That challenge is the steak, a huge baked potato and a salad.
Or should I say there are better steak places in Texas.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom