The General Chat Thread (2016-2022)

Status
Not open for further replies.
How far ahead do you look ? Long line of parked cars - nothing has moved in several minutes - chances of someone jumping out much less - plan a looong way ahead - it's not foolproof but it helps. Further if a child runs out from between those cars is it ok to hit him ? Look under cars for feet, especially small ones. Sorry but like too many car and van and truck drivers you too are assuming the road is going to be clear, complaining that you have to ride slower is simply saying "I want to ride / drive faster than the road conditions safely allow". If someone is impatient let them go past - let them kill the child.
You haven't understood the nature of the problem, i.e. what caused the accident. It wasn't a car moving out from a parked space, but the DOOR suddenly being swung open from a parked car!! I am not complaining at all. I was trying to explain that, in order to do as SatNav suggested, i.e. peer into every parked car (when there are a lot all clumped together) that this would entail cycling ridiculously slowly. You have simply jumped the gun without understanding. Please note - I was a keen and good cyclist of some 40 years standing.

You haven't understood the nature of the problem,
I think probably @sidevalve did understand re the doors - that's what he meant by 'someone jumping out' - i.e. opening the door suddenly. But when it comes down to it the psychological problem remains. Accidents can and do happen however careful we are.

Anyone making a simnel cake over Easter? I have never made one.

I guess you could cheat and buy a ready made fruit cake then decorate the top with the marzipan and eggs! :whistling:

And now on the topic of grandkids,
My son called the other night. His father has taken to asking when is he going to get grandchildren. My son isn't even dating.

And now on the topic of grandkids,
My son called the other night. His father has taken to asking when is he going to get grandchildren. My son isn't even dating.

I never did understand why people are obsessed with grandchildren, you know it isn't easy raising your own so why push them into having them? I am lucky, my folks accepted that we were not going to have any but other people cannot understand why we made the choice.

Thats ridiculous! It would take quite a while to make the outlay worthwhile. Can't you just collect the bits in a plastic tub until there is enough and then microwave to soften and mix them together? I'm guessing that might work.

I looked at this - cheap enough. And here is an extract from a review:
If doing that first one, make certain that the microwave is not between you and your means of escape.

I never did understand why people are obsessed with grandchildren, you know it isn't easy raising your own so why push them into having them? I am lucky, my folks accepted that we were not going to have any but other people cannot understand why we made the choice.
I have a theory on why my ex wants grandchildren. His current wife has no children but always wanted them. She was past the m word when they got together. So he wants to make wifey happy.
But this is the same man that told his 29 year old son that he needed to call that wife mom.

It's 'cos you can watch them suffer like you did.

It's 'cos you can watch them suffer like you did.
Very good point. I'd still rather not have any though (grandchildren). They get foisted onto you just when you think you are going to have a quiet life. I don't have the patience or stamina. There are lots of things I want to do and that doesn't include amusing children. Sorry. I'm a selfish .....

Very good point. I'd still rather not have any though (grandchildren). They get foisted onto you just when you think you are going to have a quiet life. I don't have the patience or stamina. There are lots of things I want to do and that doesn't include amusing children. Sorry. I'm a selfish .....
Only if you allow your children to foist them on you.
My grandmother only watched us kids at her convenience, unless it was an emergency. Then she would watch us willingly or not so willingly in one case, but my granddad got on to mom for that one.

I guess I'm the opposite because I love kids. All ages. You can play with them teach them things, and have fun goofing on them. For years my son believed that the reason dinosaurs went extinct was that they smoked cigarettes.

I love being with children but don't know that I can be with them 24/7.

Robin Williams had a very playful/imaginative streak - as we all know. He related telling bedtime stories to his kids - doing all the voices. Sometimes they would tire of this and say "just read the story Daddy!"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom