The General Chat Thread (2016-2022)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've been doing a spot of adaptation/dressmaking from a delightful, floral long skirt I bought last Saturday at a jumble sale. It involves cutting it to knee-length and then making a smock top (with other fabric remnants) to wear with it. Lots of calculations and I may have to use the old fashioned Singer sewing machine (given to me by my mother), complete with foot pedal to turn the wheel!

I've been doing a spot of adaptation/dressmaking from a delightful, floral long skirt I bought last Saturday at a jumble sale. It involves cutting it to knee-length and then making a smock top (with other fabric remnants) to wear with it. Lots of calculations and I may have to use the old fashioned Singer sewing machine (given to me by my mother), complete with foot pedal to turn the wheel!

You are lucky to have the skill. I can knit, thats about it!

You are lucky to have the skill. I can knit, thats about it!
Well, I did do dressmaking workshops but it is largely a case of experience over the years. Jumble sales seem to be dying out but they gave me a good grounding in experimenting - buying cheap fabric. Not being a normal size makes it somewhat necessary to know how to modify/adapt what is available. I tend not to buy new clothes mostly because it is hard to buy natural fabrics - I dislike synthetic fibres since they don't let the skin breathe i.e. more likely to perspire!

Yes I used to knit (still can) but I find woolly clothing a pain to wash and keep their shape - again I am reluctant to use a wool mix (with synthetic fibre). I can crotchet but have not made much more than a rainbow hat! Knitting is quite trendy now I believe.

Yes - its such a shame. I remember the halcyon days of jumble sales, when you could pick up vintage clothes and Clarice Cliff tea sets!
I once found a small tapestry 'purse', at a jumble sale, which was dirty/faded and paid 50p for it (the asking price). I cleaned it with natural products (bicarb was involved I think) and sold it on to an antique dealer for £5!

Still some amazing things still out there - car boot sales seem to be the thing now though or maybe for you guys in the US 'yard sales' ? Picked up a very nice piece of Poole pottery for 50 pence [on line value about £15 - 20] only last summer. Just got to keep your eyes open

Still some amazing things still out there - car boot sales seem to be the thing now though or maybe for you guys in the US 'yard sales' ? Picked up a very nice piece of Poole pottery for 50 pence [on line value about £15 - 20] only last summer. Just got to keep your eyes open
I am not really after antique bargains though (that previous post is not why I like jumble sales - it was just a response to morning glory's post...jogged my memory).

I prefer jumble sales to car boot sales since they seem to be cheaper and with more diverse clothing. Car boot sales have clothes of specific sizes to the car owner and more pricey. On the plus side - for those with kids - there are a LOT of stuff for them!

Last edited:
After the global ransomware...

c1f71cfa120851e9d843c063c762a8eb.gif

Out for a walk on Saturday morning, I happened to mention that we hadn't been getting much rain lately. Ever since the words left my lips, rain has been teeming down almost non-stop.

If anyone is currently suffering drought conditions, I am more than happy to provide a similar service for a reasonable fee.

Out for a walk on Saturday morning, I happened to mention that we hadn't been getting much rain lately. Ever since the words left my lips, rain has been teeming down almost non-stop.

If anyone is currently suffering drought conditions, I am more than happy to provide a similar service for a reasonable fee.

Water off a duck's back though, isn't it?

Typically called garage sales whether one has a garage or not.
We also have something called estate sales. That is where a "company" comes in and sells off everything in the house for a share of the profits. Estate meaning the owner has passed on.
And then we also have flea markets although anymore those aren't worth much unless you habla Español in our area.
I prefer the charity shops.

Not in a drought but will gladly take some rain. Just no thunder and lightning please.

Yes - its such a shame. I remember the halcyon days of jumble sales, when you could pick up vintage clothes and Clarice Cliff tea sets!
We have a thriving annual jumble sale in our village. Loads of good stuff at really cheap prices. We always donate then end up buying more back even more. Great way to recycle, all proceeds split between village hall, primary school and church. I confess I do buy a fair bit from charity shops too. Mainly cookery books, but also clothing. I really hate the modern trend of cheap, disposable clothing made in far eastern sweat shops. Buying an old but good quality jumper or shirt from a charity shop makes me feel good, and thats nothing to do with the cost.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom