The General Chat Thread (2016-2022)

Status
Not open for further replies.
After the global ransomware...

c1f71cfa120851e9d843c063c762a8eb.gif

Perfect place to dip your toes.

Well, I did do dressmaking workshops but it is largely a case of experience over the years. Jumble sales seem to be dying out but they gave me a good grounding in experimenting - buying cheap fabric. Not being a normal size makes it somewhat necessary to know how to modify/adapt what is available. I tend not to buy new clothes mostly because it is hard to buy natural fabrics - I dislike synthetic fibres since they don't let the skin breathe i.e. more likely to perspire!

Yes I used to knit (still can) but I find woolly clothing a pain to wash and keep their shape - again I am reluctant to use a wool mix (with synthetic fibre). I can crotchet but have not made much more than a rainbow hat! Knitting is quite trendy now I believe.

My grandma was brilliant at making dolls etc for us 2 girls, knitting, crochet she could do it all, non of us have inherited her skills, I can knit but that is all.

We have a thriving annual jumble sale in our village. Loads of good stuff at really cheap prices. We always donate then end up buying more back even more. Great way to recycle, all proceeds split between village hall, primary school and church. I confess I do buy a fair bit from charity shops too. Mainly cookery books, but also clothing. I really hate the modern trend of cheap, disposable clothing made in far eastern sweat shops. Buying an old but good quality jumper or shirt from a charity shop makes me feel good, and thats nothing to do with the cost.
Yes we have a really good annual jumble sale locally too (twice a year I think). The hall spills out onto a large parking area which has furniture, a section on hats and bags, electrical stalls and even an area for gardenwear (along with the usual bric a brac, books, shoes, clothes, curtains etc). There's also a tea room with home made cakes (not really up to much but then I am a foodie!) However, we used to get quite regular jumble sales here and there and they have all long since gone - made way for car boot sales no doubt!

I enjoy the creative challenge since I often have to adapt clothing. I have just sucessfully made a smock top to go over a skirt (shortened to kneelength and the excess fabric used for the top!) I like seeing the potential in something and one of my main interests is upcycling.

Last edited:
My grandma was brilliant at making dolls etc for us 2 girls, knitting, crochet she could do it all, non of us have inherited her skills, I can knit but that is all.
Well then you are trendy, since knitting is all the rage apparently!

Still some amazing things still out there - car boot sales seem to be the thing now though or maybe for you guys in the US 'yard sales' ? Picked up a very nice piece of Poole pottery for 50 pence [on line value about £15 - 20] only last summer. Just got to keep your eyes open
£40 for an A0+ printer. £25 for a council computer, with every letter template they used, still on it. Parking tickets included.

Not in a drought but will gladly take some rain. Just no thunder and lightning please.
we finally got some rain on Sunday. It looked like it was going to be one of those quick thunderstorms that rolled in and out in minutes going by the radar, but for some reason (probably the mountain tops, though they are not that much higher than us) it got stuck on us and rained all afternoon giving us some much needed water. sadly the soil is now all at the bottom of the hill (again) and the creek is empty of water (again) but for a while, we had water. Useful when your only drinking water is rain water... which reminds me, I need to go and see what level the emergency tank is at... We drained it back in March when it went brown and are slowly trying to refill it. I don't know what colour it currently is. something I could test today if I got my act together.

Never thought of it as trendy, just something I can do which helps to clear the mind.
for me it is something to do with my hands whilst I am watching something on TV in the evening or whilst sitting out watching over the chooks (since the fox attacks - we still have a problem with daylight raids from mrs fox. I hate idle hands. I have to be doing something all the time. I can't just sit and watch TV... don't know why but maybe its because I don't really enjoy TV...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom