The General Chat Thread (2016-2022)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't think so. They have lost weight, scrubbed up well and look fairly presentable! I guess not everyone likes the laidback look though (or maybe it's the beards)?
dontknow.gif

Not a fan myself but fair play to '2 big lads on bikes'

I have re-dug the moat, re-dug the drainage around the chook house, dug out the chook house drainage system, removed the blockages from the drainage system, lowered the level of the bit that floods in the inner enclosure of the chook run (so that it stays low and doesn't flood the higher bit), repaired the chook house roof, brought in enough wood for 2 days (to keep both me and the 2 week old chicks warm) and have lined up a day on indoor activity (aka cooking and housework). And I even remembered to ensure my husband went to work with his waterproof.

I'm ready. (nope, I'm not. I have left some bits in the studio (separate building. need to go and get them...)

All this stands for the following: We have a near 100% probability of 1-2inches of rain today. Which means we are going to get very wet. They have thrown in the words thunderstorms (note the plural form) for good measure which means if you get hit by one, you can expect a considerable amount more rain. When the BOM (Aussie Met Office) say to get ready for a lot of rain, they mean it.

It was clear skies at dawn. It has now clouded over.
It is on its way.

My chooks won't be happy. They won't get their 2 hours of grass this afternoon... they are going to end up being locked up all day.

I have re-dug the moat, re-dug the drainage around the chook house, dug out the chook house drainage system, removed the blockages from the drainage system, lowered the level of the bit that floods in the inner enclosure of the chook run (so that it stays low and doesn't flood the higher bit), repaired the chook house roof, brought in enough wood for 2 days (to keep both me and the 2 week old chicks warm) and have lined up a day on indoor activity (aka cooking and housework). And I even remembered to ensure my husband went to work with his waterproof.

I'm ready. (nope, I'm not. I have left some bits in the studio (separate building. need to go and get them...)

All this stands for the following: We have a near 100% probability of 1-2inches of rain today. Which means we are going to get very wet. They have thrown in the words thunderstorms (note the plural form) for good measure which means if you get hit by one, you can expect a considerable amount more rain. When the BOM (Aussie Met Office) say to get ready for a lot of rain, they mean it.

It was clear skies at dawn. It has now clouded over.
It is on its way.

My chooks won't be happy. They won't get their 2 hours of grass this afternoon... they are going to end up being locked up all day.
Not a lot done then!

Wanting feeding then!
they have 24/7 access to feed... which would go a long way to explain this...

upload_2017-5-19_14-6-22.png

There's only a day between their ages, but the black chick has always been the smallest. The cream one I am monitoring it against has the same mother and father, but the black one is effectively 3 days behind the cream coloured one. But they average 10% BW gain a day and have doubled their weight in roughly 6 days, so that is fine.

I was just wondering whether it might be good to have another cooking section entitled Entertaining e.g. buffet spreads/ideas (like dips, salads, trifle etc). I know we have individual sections on some of these categories but it might be interesting to have just one section where ideas can be got without resorting to separate sections.

I recently improved/lightened a dark photo I took for a buffet and see that, under Your Photos (page 1 #6) it no longer appears because of that (despite getting several likes).
Here is the photo...

A buffet spread of:-
- savoury smoked salmon scones (with creme fraiche),
- home made harissa dip (roasted red pepper, red chilli, garlic base with mayo + greek yogurt) and
- deluxe trifle (I think it had a crumbled fruit cake base laced in rum, topped with pineapple and bananas, vanilla custard, then whipped cream - pistachio nuts and pomegranates on top).

I did serve more than was depicted in the photo.

I keep a record, so consulting my notes it also co-starred e.g. a red cabbage salad (grapes, celery, carrots, apples with a separate dressing), potato salad with artichoke hearts and topped with toasted pine nuts. i.e. hot food - paprika potato wedges and lemon & garlic chicken wings.

Last edited:
I was just wondering whether it might be good to have another cooking section entitled Entertaining e.g. buffet spreads/ideas (like dips, salads, trifle etc). I know we have individual sections on some of these categories but it might be interesting to have just one section where ideas can be got without resorting to separate sections.

I recently improved/lightened a dark photo I took for a buffet and see that, under Your Photos (page 1 #6) it no longer appears because of that (despite getting several likes). I did serve more than was depicted in the photo, i.e. hot food - potato wedges and chicken wings. Here is the photo...

A buffet spread of:-
- savoury smoked salmon scones (with creme fraiche),
- home made harissa dip and
- deluxe trifle (I think it had a crumbled fruit cake base laced in rum, topped with pineapple and bananas, custard, then lightly whipped cream - pistachio nuts and pomegranates on top).

Re your original post in Your Photos. You can edit the post and embed your media again if you wish.

Regarding the sections - @SatNavSaysStraightOn and I spent quite a lot of time reducing and rationalising the number of sections as there used to be so many! So we don't really want to start adding new ones. Buffets spreads would be best placed in Holidays, Celebrations and Traditions. You could always start a new thread there.

Last edited:
Re your original post in Your Photos. You can edit the post and embed your media again if you wish.

Regarding the sections - @SatNavSaysStraightOn and I spent quite a lot of time reducing and rationalising the number of sections as there used to be so many! So we don't really want to start adding new ones. Buffets spreads would be best placed in Holidays, Celebrations and Traditions. You could always start a new thread there.
OK fair enough - it was just a suggestion. Although I have recipe books, I have created an Entertaining folder which I find useful to go to for times when I am doing buffets etc.

Since the original photo appeared in my post which no longer has an edit facility, how would I be able to insert the revised/lightened photo?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom