The General Chat Thread (2016-2022)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I know what you mean. I do shop for fresh food when I need to.

But I resent the work we have to put in with supermarket shopping. I mean drive there, load up a trolly, unload trolly, load it into bags and back into trolly, load it into car boot, drive back, load it out of car boot, unpack in kitchen. That makes 6 lots of loading and unloading/packing and unpacking! Bonkers, I think.

With on-line, they bring it into my kitchen and then I put it away. Then I can take pleasure in shopping for those special items which I want to pick myself rather than wasting time buying, packing and unpacking (6 times) those regular household items which don't need picking fresh. I mean, milk, eggs, cheese, spuds, tins as well as for household items such as washing liquids, loo roll etc. I really don't get any pleasure from shopping in a supermarket for these items! Plus, I find that due to the size of supermarkets it always takes much longer than it should to shop. With on-line it takes me less than 15 minutes to order a weekly shop.

But I resent the work we have to put in with supermarket shopping. I mean drive there, load up a trolly, unload trolly, load it into bags and back into trolly, load it into car boot, drive back, load it out of car boot, unpack in kitchen. That makes 6 lots of loading and unloading/packing and unpacking! Bonkers, I think.

With on-line, they bring it into my kitchen and then I put it away. Then I can take pleasure in shopping for those special items which I want to pick myself rather than wasting time buying, packing and unpacking (6 times) those regular household items which don't need picking fresh. I mean, milk, eggs, cheese, spuds, tins as well as for household items such as washing liquids, loo roll etc. I really don't get any pleasure from shopping in a supermarket for these items! Plus, I find that due to the size of supermarkets it always takes much longer than it should to shop. With on-line it takes me less than 15 minutes to order a weekly shop.
And another example of how laziness has/is taking over.

You could always go out, dig your own. Load them, muck n'all into a bag. Bring them back inside, unload, wash them. Chucking any rotten ones away(might mean another trip out if there's too many). Using them all, even the odd shaped ones.

Dig or pull too much in one go. Do you clean them all or only what you'll use. The dirt will help keep them, but doesn't look nice. Can make storage a problem, either way.

There's the mess to clean up after you've cleaned up!

And another example of how laziness has/is taking over.

You could always go out, dig your own. Load them, muck n'all into a bag. Bring them back inside, unload, wash them. Chucking any rotten ones away(might mean another trip out if there's too many). Using them all, even the odd shaped ones.

Dig or pull too much in one go. Do you clean them all or only what you'll use. The dirt will help keep them, but doesn't look nice. Can make storage a problem, either way.

There's the mess to clean up after you've cleaned up!

All of which is true. But like many people I'm not in a position to grow my own and I happen to resent the time taken from me if I go to the supermarket. It means I'm doing the work for them. I've got better things to do than spend an hour loading and unloading stuff to line Tesco's pockets. That isn't laziness on my part, its choice.

You really can't compare digging your own with picking goods of supermarket shelves when it comes to arguments about laziness. Having said all that, as you very well know @classic33 I am quite lazy! :D

Not with Waitrose you don't. Sign up to their shop and scan. You take an easy to use bar code scanner around with you. You load your bags once as you put your shopping into the trolley after scanning it. Then lift out into the car and drive home... If you need a re-scan (routine check), they will unload and re-pack your bags for you AND ensure that the bags are packed in the order you packed them in. So each bag is individually unpacked, scanned and re-packed as you packed it the first time around. We used to get rescanned maybe once a quarter if that, after the first time, initial shop. (Most of the major supermarkets do this now in the UK).

But I agree with the GYO side of life except for the initial digging over of the plots which is taking me forever. I have to go out and carry on a trowel full at a time again today. I do manage to shift a reasonable volume of soil in this manner having nothing better to do, but it is very slow work. However given we have had another harsh frost over night and it is currently warmer outside than in (I have lit a fire) I may go and locate soil for the one of the raised borders and stay warm (after a dose of morphine). Sitting at a keyboard with even my toes freezing off is not my idea...

You forgot the lack of cashiers so you have to stand in line for 15 minutes.
Oh and how did you know what we bought today?

Morning all... perishingly :cold: out again but :sun: and not a cloud to be see. Will get a load of washing on very shortly and then it is outside to listen to chooks moan at me because they haven't been let out of the outer enclosure yet because they haven't all lain.

You forgot the lack of cashiers so you have to stand in line for 15 minutes.
Oh and how did you know what we bought today?
Yes, quite right! There is standing in the queue as well! Of course I don't know what you bought today. All I know is that I don't really want to spend time in supermarkets buying boring things like loo rolls.

Not with Waitrose you don't. Sign up to their shop and scan. You take an easy to use bar code scanner around with you. You load your bags once as you put your shopping into the trolley after scanning it. Then lift out into the car and drive home... If you need a re-scan (routine check), they will unload and re-pack your bags for you AND ensure that the bags are packed in the order you packed them in. So each bag is individually unpacked, scanned and re-packed as you packed it the first time around. We used to get rescanned maybe once a quarter if that, after the first time, initial shop. (Most of the major supermarkets do this now in the UK).

Yes, I've done that and its a good service - but still not as easy and time-saving as on-line. It takes time to drive there and back and then there is the time spent in store. If I did this for a weekly shop it would probably take an hour and a bit at best, plus driving there and back. On-line takes 15 mins, and I'm doing other stuff like watching TV at the same time. :D:okay:

There is also 'click and collect' service here in the UK which means you book on-line and pick up from the supermarket. I haven't used that but I think it suits some people.

The thing is, I rather like the idea of supermarkets coming to me, rather than me doing the donkey work for them! :D

Last edited:
Yes, quite right! There is standing in the queue as well! Of course I don't know what you bought today. All I know is that I don't really want to spend time in supermarkets buying boring things like loo rolls.
You mentioned 3 of the items in your previous post. Milk, eggs and spuds.
Also Ritz crackers, margarine, fried chicken (for the ROYAL prince aka the chihuahua), onions, gravy mix and frozen chicken breasts.

Also Ritz crackers, margarine, fried chicken (for the ROYAL prince aka the chihuahua), onions, gravy mix and frozen chicken breasts.

All of which I could have clicked and bought on-line to be delivered to my door tomorrow! Is it that America is so big that you don't have much supermarket on-line delivery? The UK is so small that logistically the central supermarket warehouses can deliver more or less anywhere, quite easily.

Re Ritz crackers. I know that brand from childhood. Is it the same thing I wonder... quite salty, I recall.

Last edited:

These? What do you eat them with? I'm trying to remember how I used to eat these when I was a kid. Perhaps with Cheddar cheese as a snack.

IDShot_540x540-4.jpg

Yes, Ritz crackers have not changed. Now as to the US being large, I don't think the size of the country has to do as much with it as the population density.
I know NYC has grocery delivery. I know parts of Houston has grocery delivery. Probably Dallas and the other urban areas too.
Our area has a very small population density from 0.1 people per square mile to 2,200 people per square mile. Dallas alone has over 3000 people per square mile. That is not counting the rest of the Metroplex.

For a rough comparison, the Permian Basin is almost the size of the UK. Our population is only 500,000 total with roughly half living in the Midland/Odessa area which is 1804 square miles.

According to a quick search the UK has 64.1 million people in almost the same space.

Now after such a long post, I think we can conclude not near enough people in our area to make it profitable for grocery delivery.

Yes, Ritz crackers have not changed. Now as to the US being large, I don't think the size of the country has to do as much with it as the population density.
I know NYC has grocery delivery. I know parts of Houston has grocery delivery. Probably Dallas and the other urban areas too.
Our area has a very small population density from 0.1 people per square mile to 2,200 people per square mile. Dallas alone has over 3000 people per square mile. That is not counting the rest of the Metroplex.

For a rough comparison, the Permian Basin is almost the size of the UK. Our population is only 500,000 total with roughly half living in the Midland/Odessa area which is 1804 square miles.

According to a quick search the UK has 64.1 million people in almost the same space.
I think you are right regarding population density. Its funny really because I always assume the USA is ahead of us in terms of smart technology etc. Yet in the UK we seem to have advantages which I wouldn't be without!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom