The General Chat Thread (2016-2022)

Status
Not open for further replies.
The rotten weather seems almost to have missed where I live. Sunday was a glorious day - just as well walking through the park and the woods with about 50 greyhounds, most of whom won't even stick their noses out of the door if there is even a hint of rain. Monday, it rained a bit on and off but mostly it was like a heavy spit rather than actually raining. Tuesday was another lovely day, and Wednesday it only rained for a couple of hours in the morning and about half an hour in the afternoon, yet where one of my friends lives not a million miles away it was chucking it down all day. Good old British weather!

The rotten weather seems almost to have missed where I live. Sunday was a glorious day - just as well walking through the park and the woods with about 50 greyhounds, most of whom won't even stick their noses out of the door if there is even a hint of rain. Monday, it rained a bit on and off but mostly it was like a heavy spit rather than actually raining. Tuesday was another lovely day, and Wednesday it only rained for a couple of hours in the morning and about half an hour in the afternoon, yet where one of my friends lives not a million miles away it was chucking it down all day. Good old British weather!

Our friends have 2 ex racing greyhounds. Very friendly, they used to race them then took them on after they retired from racing. They would be the best looked after dogs in nz. My friend Ste his alarm for 3? Am I think to load the fire up to keep the dogs warm. I wouldn't go that far,lol

Russ

Our friends have 2 ex racing greyhounds. Very friendly, they used to race them then took them on after they retired from racing. They would be the best looked after dogs in nz. My friend Ste his alarm for 3? Am I think to load the fire up to keep the dogs warm. I wouldn't go that far,lol

Russ
My one is spoilt rotten, as are most ex-racers. They deserve it. I don't have central heating but sometimes when it is very cold the electric stove-type fire is on all night for mine. They have no way of regulating body temperature, hence the fancy coats as well when out in the cold weather. Generally speaking if you are too cold or too hot, they are even colder or even hotter. If their ears feel cold, they need a coat or the heating on.

My one is spoilt rotten, as are most ex-racers. They deserve it. I don't have central heating but sometimes when it is very cold the electric stove-type fire is on all night for mine. They have no way of regulating body temperature, hence the fancy coats as well when out in the cold weather. Generally speaking if you are too cold or too hot, they are even colder or even hotter. If their ears feel cold, they need a coat or the heating on.

I didn't know that about body heat. And I used to breed German shepherds.!! My friend doesn't have central either, so I suppose that's why he gets up to load the fire up for the dogs. They pay big money to a dog outfit when they are away. Like big money $20'a day. Each.!!

Russ

I didn't know that about body heat. And I used to breed German shepherds.!! My friend doesn't have central either, so I suppose that's why he gets up to load the fire up for the dogs. They pay big money to a dog outfit when they are away. Like big money $20'a day. Each.!!

Russ
Most dogs have a nice thick double coat - think of all that fur that a German shepherd moults out - I had two. Nearly enough fur to make another 2 dogs. Greys don't have that under-coat, and some of them don't have fur all over their bodies anyway. Mine has the classic black greyhound baldy bum most of the year - it grows back a bit in warm weather. Still, they say greys are like no other dog you will ever own, and it's true.

Most dogs have a nice thick double coat - think of all that fur that a German shepherd moults out - I had two. Nearly enough fur to make another 2 dogs. Greys don't have that under-coat, and some of them don't have fur all over their bodies anyway. Mine has the classic black greyhound baldy bum most of the year - it grows back a bit in warm weather. Still, they say greys are like no other dog you will ever own, and it's true.

I bred the youngest dog in nz to qualify as a police dog. I used to get cops turning up at my door asking if I had any more litters and wanting to buy them. Wife thought the neighbours Would csuspect we were dodgy people as the cops were always at our door,lol.

Russ

I bred the youngest dog in nz to qualify as a police dog. I used to get cops turning up at my door asking if I had any more litters and wanting to buy them. Wife thought the neighbours Would csuspect we were dodgy people as the cops were always at our door,lol.

Russ

I think it made page 1 or 2 of the paper. Pic and all.

Russ

Russ
:laugh:
My last one was gorgeous. She came from my son-in-law's brother and his wife, from when they used to breed them. She was black and brindle, and a throwback to the shepherds of about 120 or so years ago, or some of the eastern European working shepherds. None of that sloping back or pointy ears. She stood bolt upright. Although she came from pedigree stock, Crufts/The Kennel Club would have been horrified.
Halfpint.jpg

:laugh:
My last one was gorgeous. She came from my son-in-law's brother and his wife, from when they used to breed them. She was black and brindle, and a throwback to the shepherds of about 120 or so years ago, or some of the eastern European working shepherds. None of that sloping back or pointy ears. She stood bolt upright. Although she came from pedigree stock, Crufts/The Kennel Club would have been horrified. View attachment 28515

The bitch I had was long haired and bred professionally, I got her when the lady that owned her couldn't control her. I took her over, and educated her. She was very strong willed. And fearless. I registered as a kennel and bred her to a friend of mines show dog. I sold them with papers. The first litter I built my double garage with.

Russ

The bitch I had was long haired and bred professionally, I got her when the lady that owned her couldn't control her. I took her over, and educated her. She was very strong willed. And fearless. I registered as a kennel and bred her to a friend of mines show dog. I sold them with papers. The first litter I built my double garage with.

Russ
My son-in-law's brother and his wife had the dog and the bitch. The dog lived until he was 19 and the bitch wasn't much younger when she died. Mine lived until she was nearly 13, but she survived major surgery when she was 11 which surprised the vet. It was only when I told him how old her parents were when they died that he even agreed to the operation.
My Mum used to breed Scotties up until the late 1960s. It was only after her last one died that I got my first dog - a lurcher. Except for that shepherd, she and all the other dogs I have had up until I got my greyhound were all rescue dogs. The local greyhound track has their own rehoming kennels, and my greyhound came from there. He had only been in the kennels for a day when I first saw him and he was there for less than a week when I took him home. I've had him for 5 1/2 years now.
WP_20190611_12_55_22_Pro.jpg

17353459_10209173522237972_88433157884275723_n.jpg

The first pic is helping me in the garden; the second is squirrel-spotting time!

My son-in-law's brother and his wife had the dog and the bitch. The dog lived until he was 19 and the bitch wasn't much younger when she died. Mine lived until she was nearly 13, but she survived major surgery when she was 11 which surprised the vet. It was only when I told him how old her parents were when they died that he even agreed to the operation.
My Mum used to breed Scotties up until the late 1960s. It was only after her last one died that I got my first dog - a lurcher. Except for that shepherd, she and all the other dogs I have had up until I got my greyhound were all rescue dogs. The local greyhound track has their own rehoming kennels, and my greyhound came from there. He had only been in the kennels for a day when I first saw him and he was there for less than a week when I took him home. I've had him for 5 1/2 years now.
View attachment 28516
View attachment 28517
The first pic is helping me in the garden; the second is squirrel-spotting time!

They are mans best friend.

Russ

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom