The General Chat Thread (2016-2022)

Status
Not open for further replies.
2,000 set loose, amongst sheep and cattle. Which is why they're vermin. There's 6-7 foot been put up in places.

They're eating the grass and feed intended for the sheep & cattle, not them.
That would most definitely be vermin and what idiot set that many loose?

That's actually very good value for rib. I think my local farm shop charges about £23/kilo, and that's just for commercial Aberdeen Angus. Rare breed like your Longhorn, and the Hereford that my other butcher sells is usually a lot more.

Last Christmas we were too late to order a rib from either farm shop or butcher - they had pre-sold everything by the second week in December. By some festive miracle, Tesco's had a glut and were selling it off cheap. It was only 21 day aged and of unknown source (other than British), but we bought some and dry aged it at home for another couple of weeks. Wiped off the slimy smelly bits on the surface and it roasted up a dream for New Year :)
Longhorns and especially Hereford's are not rare here although Hereford is much more popular because it has more beef than a longhorn. Angus is getting more popular but it is pricey here.

That would most definitely be vermin and what idiot set that many loose?
They can't say on that last part, other than it happened at the time it was costing more to keep them than they'd sell for.

Fancy a shot?

Longhorns and especially Hereford's are not rare here although Hereford is much more popular because it has more beef than a longhorn. Angus is getting more popular but it is pricey here.
Angus to the West, Hereford to the North East by any chance?

Angus to the West, Hereford to the North East by any chance?
Not real sure. I would have to Google it.

Oh and on the deer, only if they aren't sickly. I am not sure how many acres you are talking but 2000 is way too many deer for a small area. Of course, that also depends on the region for population sustainment. Not sure on deer but on cattle:
If I remember right in some parts of Texas it is one cow per so many acres. Other places it is cows per acre. Depends on the grazing.

Actually whoever turned them loose was being cruel to all the animals.

The Angus may belong to one relative, the Hereford possibly the same, or another(As mean as owt).

Both were in the USAF, one went onto work at NASA. It's with you saying you were close to Roswell earlier. Nowt odd there, NASA technician living nearby a "crash site"!

Think of battery farmed deer, rather than chickens.

The Angus may belong to one relative, the Hereford possibly the same, or another(As mean as owt).

Both were in the USAF, one went onto work at NASA. It's with you saying you were close to Roswell earlier. Nowt odd there, NASA technician living nearby a "crash site"!

Think of battery farmed deer, rather than chickens.
Farmed deer just sounds so wrong.

Farmed deer just sounds so wrong.
The few in field looked good passing though.
Most venison comes from farmed deer. No more "wrong" than farmed beef, lamb or pork. Wild venison is a bit more prized in the UK, but although tastier requires more care in cooking as it can be tough.
Never actually seen "battery cows" before.

Most venison comes from farmed deer. No more "wrong" than farmed beef, lamb or pork. Wild venison is a bit more prized in the UK, but although tastier requires more care in cooking as it can be tough.
Here in Texas, I don't know of any farmed deer. We can only get deer from November to January and it is all hunted. You cannot buy venison in the grocery store.
I didn't mean it was wrong just that it sounded wrong to me. Different enviroments.
Of course, that is one of the things I like about here. You learn so much about other places.

Private land for hunting over here.
Deer.jpg

Arrow indicates where the shot was fired from. Enclosed area, where one, and one only, was killed. Six hunters happy with the one.

Now that would be hunting.
They could have had two a piece at least. Happy with the the one. Before the 3/4 mile run back to the quads and trailer.

Follow the trees on the left up and round there's a "road". Ends where that line, straight & lighter in colour cuts into the hillside. The lines you see up there are tracks, nothing else. No fences or walls, until you reach the fields.

They could have had two a piece at least. Happy with the the one. Before the 3/4 mile run back to the quads and trailer.

Follow the trees on the left up and round there's a "road". Ends where that line, straight & lighter in colour cuts into the hillside. The lines you see up there are tracks, nothing else. No fences or walls, until you reach the fields.
No, but there are trees for the deer to hide in. They aren't at a feeder just waiting to be shot.

No, but there are trees for the deer to hide in. They aren't at a feeder just waiting to be shot.
Fir bushes not trees, they'd have to head downhill for trees.

Night vision sights & bipods fitted to two of the rifles.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom