The General Chat Thread (2016-2022)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Marinate it in some sort of weak acid like diluted lemon juice on the venison.
Makes it very tender.
I cooked a lot of venison when my husband had a different boss. The boss was a hunter that gave away venison as part of the Christmas bonus. Good thing/bad thing most of the employees didn't want it so we got most of it.

Not sure how it will stack up against the above cost-wise but we are going for a nice venison roast this Christmas - never tried it before and life's too short not to experiment a little
Make sure you cook it right. Done wrong, it'll put you off it for good.

And done right, you will see people that said they would never eat venison go back for seconds and thirds. Or even ask the next day, are there leftovers and can I come over.
Any good with a rifle! Must be able to "run" when required.

They're vermin, costing extra in feed especially at this time of year.

Not sure how it will stack up against the above cost-wise but we are going for a nice venison roast this Christmas - never tried it before and life's too short not to experiment a little
Being very lean it dries very quickly if over cooked. If you are roasting it then wrapping in fatty bacon will help keep it moist, alternatively pot roast it in red wine or casserole it.

Any good with a rifle! Must be able to "run" when required.

They're vermin, costing extra in feed especially at this time of year.
Here they are anything but vermin. But that has a great deal to do with 1 environment and 2 hunting laws.
Texas laws are such that we do not get the overpopulation of deer nor do we have an underpopulation.
The law changes every year to ensure plenty of deer. And let's not even talk about our fishing regulations.
Now as to the feeding of deer, there are some "hunters" that put out food in a certain place at the same time every day of the year to bring the deer in closer so come hunting season the hunters have easy pickings.
For all one ever wanted to know about hunting in Texas, here is the link.
https://tpwd.texas.gov/regulations/...general-regulations/2016_2017_hunting_seasons

It cost £15.70/kilo, the foreribs in the Sainsbury's Christmas catalogue are £18/kilo and the same from M&S over £20/kilo. From the door of the shop you can see the fields it grazed on, and it was butchered infront of me. Also, from the pic you can see that Vince, the butcher, threw in a bag of bones and offcuts so I can make a stonking gravy.

From the cut we should get Cristmas Dinner, a couple of portions of filled Yorkshire puddings and two or three sandwich lunches, in addition the bones will make a stock for a stew or chilli.

http://www.toriandbensfarm.co.uk/index.php
That's actually very good value for rib. I think my local farm shop charges about £23/kilo, and that's just for commercial Aberdeen Angus. Rare breed like your Longhorn, and the Hereford that my other butcher sells is usually a lot more.

Last Christmas we were too late to order a rib from either farm shop or butcher - they had pre-sold everything by the second week in December. By some festive miracle, Tesco's had a glut and were selling it off cheap. It was only 21 day aged and of unknown source (other than British), but we bought some and dry aged it at home for another couple of weeks. Wiped off the slimy smelly bits on the surface and it roasted up a dream for New Year :)

I hope it works out. I've tried cooking venison before and confess I'm always disappointed. Its probably my cooking skills when it comes to roast meat - but its always turned out chewy and leathery. :eek: @Berties is the man to advise on how to cook it...
Venison, even more so than beef needs widely varied cooking methods depending on the cut, but is well worth the effort IMHO

That's actually very good value for rib. I think my local farm shop charges about £23/kilo, and that's just for commercial Aberdeen Angus. Rare breed like your Longhorn, and the Hereford that my other butcher sells is usually a lot more.

Last Christmas we were too late to order a rib from either farm shop or butcher - they had pre-sold everything by the second week in December. By some festive miracle, Tesco's had a glut and were selling it off cheap. It was only 21 day aged and of unknown source (other than British), but we bought some and dry aged it at home for another couple of weeks. Wiped off the slimy smelly bits on the surface and it roasted up a dream for New Year :)
They have a very good business model, every weekend they load up the van and head for the Nottinghill, Parliament Hill and West Hampstead farmers markets where Ben puts on his wellies, flat cap and Barbour and sells to the similarly attired London set who are willing to pay the prices they think they should be paying whilst squalking about providence, farm to table and local sourcing. They can then sell the meat at proper prices to local people at their small shop in Melbourne Derbyshire.

Here they are anything but vermin. But that has a great deal to do with 1 environment and 2 hunting laws.
Texas laws are such that we do not get the overpopulation of deer nor do we have an underpopulation.
The law changes every year to ensure plenty of deer. And let's not even talk about our fishing regulations.
Now as to the feeding of deer, there are some "hunters" that put out food in a certain place at the same time every day of the year to bring the deer in closer so come hunting season the hunters have easy pickings.
For all one ever wanted to know about hunting in Texas, here is the link.
https://tpwd.texas.gov/regulations/...general-regulations/2016_2017_hunting_seasons
2,000 set loose, amongst sheep and cattle. Which is why they're vermin. There's 6-7 foot been put up in places.

They're eating the grass and feed intended for the sheep & cattle, not them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom