The General Chat Thread (2016-2022)

Status
Not open for further replies.
That's actually very good value for rib. I think my local farm shop charges about £23/kilo, and that's just for commercial Aberdeen Angus. Rare breed like your Longhorn, and the Hereford that my other butcher sells is usually a lot more.

Last Christmas we were too late to order a rib from either farm shop or butcher - they had pre-sold everything by the second week in December. By some festive miracle, Tesco's had a glut and were selling it off cheap. It was only 21 day aged and of unknown source (other than British), but we bought some and dry aged it at home for another couple of weeks. Wiped off the slimy smelly bits on the surface and it roasted up a dream for New Year :)

The good thing about the shop is that you can see the products, choose what you want and they will butcher and wrap for you. When choosing something special we prefer to do that but not so fussed with standard meat.

Day 9 of 21 starts in the morning. so far there have been only 2 broken eggs which her old owner is stunned about. they never used this bird for breeding and letting her get broody because she had deformed feet and they feared too many broken eggs. 2 breaks is nothing and considered norms. sadly this means that despite being over 6 years old, she is a first time mum. guess that makes 2 of us and we will tread this road together

May be. I have gone in solitary this evening to restrict what she eats overnight and in the morning before I get to her. if she has anything in her crop then she has a medical problem... an impacted crop. which could be why she was being disposed of. it may well already be clearing but I need to make sure. a case of watch this space. listening to it is going to be torture!

The good thing about the shop is that you can see the products, choose what you want and they will butcher and wrap for you. When choosing something special we prefer to do that but not so fussed with standard meat.
So how will you keep the beef until christmas - I mean how do you store it?

It cost £15.70/kilo, the foreribs in the Sainsbury's Christmas catalogue are £18/kilo and the same from M&S over £20/kilo. From the door of the shop you can see the fields it grazed on, and it was butchered infront of me. Also, from the pic you can see that Vince, the butcher, threw in a bag of bones and offcuts so I can make a stonking gravy.

From the cut we should get Cristmas Dinner, a couple of portions of filled Yorkshire puddings and two or three sandwich lunches, in addition the bones will make a stock for a stew or chilli.

http://www.toriandbensfarm.co.uk/index.php

You are right its not that expensive per kilo and you will get leftovers - and after all, folk pay £40 or more for that premium free-range turkey. Not me, I should add. I usually pay about £10 and get a frozen one from Aldi. But then... I can make it taste amazing.

Yesterday morning started with a couple of spooky coincidences: very early I was reading recipes in bed and noticed @morning glory's recipe for Pomegranate Chicken containing pomegranate molasses - I had never heard of these before. Half an hour later we were looking up recipes for mincemeat and found one featured in the previous day's Mail supplement by Fiona Cairns - also containing pomegranate molasses! I had also been browsing through a book of chicken recipes (possibly for inspiration for a certain recipe challenge) and noticed a roast chicken with apple stuffing recipe. I liked the sound of this, particularly as we were having roast chicken for lunch, but decided not to mention it as Mrs Epicuric makes a mean stuffing anyway. Roll on a couple of hours and Mrs Epicuric is standing by the kitchen sink looking out onto the garden with its still heavily laden apple trees and muses out loud "I don't know why I have never thought of putting apple in my stuffing"!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom