The General Chat Thread (2016-2022)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't care what you call it, but it needs more butter on it! I remember as a child toasting these over a fire until they were just a bit charred, then covering with a thick slice of cold butter that would melt through and dribble down the chin when eating them :)

This morning we went to a farmshop and picked up a double forerib of long horn beef for Christmas day dinner. The farm raise their own cattle so you know exactly where it comes from and they take the time to hang it so their beef and beef sausages are by far the best I have ever tasted, well worth the hour long round trip. They also gave us the bone and some fat trimmings to make the gravy. :hungry:
That sounds awesome! And expensive... Pictures before and after cooking would be most welcome :)

That sounds awesome! And expensive... Pictures before and after cooking would be most welcome :)

I can give you a before pic

downloadfile-5.jpeg

It is more than we would normally pay, we will be having a full beef roast, roast spuds, yorkshire puds, cauliflower etc...a very good bottle of red. There will only be 2 of us and it is only once so why not? We don't buy lots of chocolates, booze etc we do quality rather than quantity.

It is more than we would normally pay, we will be having a full beef roast, roast spuds, yorkshire puds, cauliflower etc...a very good bottle of red. There will only be 2 of us and it is only once so why not? We don't buy lots of chocolates, booze etc we do quality rather than quantity.
I'm still saying 'Oh my gosh'! I was thinking you were going to say it would be divided up for 6 meals! It makes my indulgence in oysters look positively frugal....

I'm still saying 'Oh my gosh'! I was thinking you were going to say it would be divided up for 6 meals! It makes my indulgence in oysters look positively frugal....

To buy the same thing from M & S or Sainsburys it would cost more! There will be plenty left over so we will get more meals from it :happy:

It cost £15.70/kilo, the foreribs in the Sainsbury's Christmas catalogue are £18/kilo and the same from M&S over £20/kilo. From the door of the shop you can see the fields it grazed on, and it was butchered infront of me. Also, from the pic you can see that Vince, the butcher, threw in a bag of bones and offcuts so I can make a stonking gravy.

From the cut we should get Cristmas Dinner, a couple of portions of filled Yorkshire puddings and two or three sandwich lunches, in addition the bones will make a stock for a stew or chilli.

http://www.toriandbensfarm.co.uk/index.php

That looks really good.
More than I would like to pay but a most excellent price for what it is.
The last roast I bought was about $6 a pound or £4.80 for .45 kg.

That looks really good.
More than I would like to pay but a most excellent price for what it is.
The last roast I bought was about $6 a pound or £4.80 for .45 kg.
It's for Christmas, I wouldn't normally pay that much. However their other cuts, sausages and burgers are comparable in price to the supermarket premium range but the taste and quality is far superior.

Not sure how it will stack up against the above cost-wise but we are going for a nice venison roast this Christmas - never tried it before and life's too short not to experiment a little
I hope it works out. I've tried cooking venison before and confess I'm always disappointed. Its probably my cooking skills when it comes to roast meat - but its always turned out chewy and leathery. :eek: @Berties is the man to advise on how to cook it...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom