The General Chat Thread (2016-2022)

Status
Not open for further replies.
You brought a laugh on.
In years past, I had the drunk draped on my arm. He was actually fairly good looking and his wife who actually ran the small restaurant we were using that year kept giving me thank you smiles. My husband was no help in removing him.
Another year, had a woman in a long prom dress that would literally pull it up to dance. She wasn't wearing underwear. To top that off, her monthly showed up with a vengeance.
Other years it was a bit tamer but it seemed the booze brought out the wanna be strippers. I wouldn't get on the dance floor. I could either dance in heels or barefoot. I always wore flats to the parties and I darn sure wasn't taking off my shoes.
Besides I was out of practice and didn't want to make the wannabes look bad. I have danced professionally more than once. First time on a stage, I was 16 and belly dancing. Been country dancing since I was 11.

This will make the 27th Christmas party. 3 different companies, same business. 100's of people have come and gone.
The first one was in an employee's house in the next town over and I had known my date for all of 5 days.
Only about 20 people tops at that party. Then when they got more stores and more employees, we started doing restaurants. Then came the buy outs. Way more people.
Now to cut back on expenses, the 5 towns do their own dinners. Well the two towns that are now connected do one dinner. That makes it nice and no one has to drive 2 hours.
"There might be other factors involved too." Since the ones that used to be in charge of the parties are long gone.

One of my colleagues doesn't drink so 1 whiff of the barmaids apron and she was tiddly, lifted her skirt to flash her pants!

Ladies of a certain age usually drank Harvey Bristol Cream. Yuk. A Fino sherry, even mass market Tio Pepe, is altogether different and is a marvellous tipple. If you are partial to white wine you will love it - it's method of production has similarities with that of Champagne. It must be drunk chilled from the fridge, never at room temperature, and goes really well with tapas. Give it a try!
A fine fino sherry is delicious and definitely a treat. You have made me check that we will be getting a bottle to drink as an aperitif over Christmas (it will keep in the fridge for a few days).

A fine fino sherry is delicious and definitely a treat. You have made me check that we will be getting a bottle to drink as an aperitif over Christmas (it will keep in the fridge for a few days).
Drink the contents, not the bottle!

Good News
For those who are wondering if they'll have enough, or the right stuff for the 25th.

You don't have to worry this year. It falls on a Sunday. This means the Church Day(Sunday) takes precedence over the holiday(Christmas).

You'll still have Christmas Eve and Boxing Day. But Christmas Day can't be moved back a day to the 26th. That's Saint Stephens Day, Good King Wencelas(spelling doesn't seem right).

Even the Church downgraded Christmas Day, think "Miracle on 34th Street". A certain amount of fact was put into the court case scene, whichever version you've seen.

Good News
For those who are wondering if they'll have enough, or the right stuff for the 25th.

You don't have to worry this year. It falls on a Sunday. This means the Church Day(Sunday) takes precedence over the holiday(Christmas).

You'll still have Christmas Eve and Boxing Day. But Christmas Day can't be moved back a day to the 26th. That's Saint Stephens Day, Good King Wencelas(spelling doesn't seem right).

Even the Church downgraded Christmas Day, think "Miracle on 34th Street". A certain amount of fact was put into the court case scene, whichever version you've seen.
Here it will be Christmas as usual and the church has nothing to do with it.
But then you have the Church of England. We have numerous Christian type churches.
We also don't do boxing day or the Saint and King Days.
Oh quick Google says it is Good King Wenceslas. You were right, you dropped an s.

Wait I lied. We do have a King federal holiday. It is in honor of Martin Luther King. Falls on the Monday closest to his birthday which is January 16.
This year it also means I won't get mail on my birthday.

And Thanksgiving takes precedence over Christmas in the USA. Which is why it was created. No religous ties.

We have two Bank Holidays this year. Monday and Tuesday, to make up for it.

Just think of the money you'll save. No over commercillation of Christmas this year.

And Thanksgiving takes precedence over Christmas in the USA. Which is why it was created. No religous ties.

We have two Bank Holidays this year. Monday and Tuesday, to make up for it.

Just think of the money you'll save. No over commercillation of Christmas this year.
Where did you get that idea? There is virtually nothing about Thanksgiving on TV or in the stores. The stores put out Christmas stuff the day after Halloween. Thanksgiving is now the day of or the day before Black Friday. (The biggest shopping day of the year for Christmas. )
Every town has a Christmas parade. Even Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade is to bring in Santa Claus.
You don't shop for Christmas on Christmas. You shop the month before and wrap everything in colorful packages.
Oh and you may not realize it but nearly all stores are closed on Christmas anyway. It doesn't matter whether it falls on a Tuesday or a Sunday.
Oh and our bank holidays, the only things closed are the banks and government offices. All shopping still open.
So yes, Christmas is still very commercialized.

As far as religion and Christmas go, if I so desired there are at least 132 churches in my city alone. There are at least 10 within about a kilometer of my house.

And of those 10, there are at least 7 different Christian religions.
Christmas is our biggest holiday.

Last edited:
Where did you get that idea? There is virtually nothing about Thanksgiving on TV or in the stores. The stores put out Christmas stuff the day after Halloween. Thanksgiving is now the day of or the day before Black Friday. (The biggest shopping day of the year for Christmas. )
Every town has a Christmas parade. Even Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade is to bring in Santa Claus.
You don't shop for Christmas on Christmas. You shop the month before and wrap everything in colorful packages.
Oh and you may not realize it but nearly all stores are closed on Christmas anyway. It doesn't matter whether it falls on a Tuesday or a Sunday.
Oh and our bank holidays, the only things closed are the banks and government offices. All shopping still open.
So yes, Christmas is still very commercialized.

As far as religion and Christmas go, if I so desired there are at least 132 churches in my city alone. There are at least 10 within about a kilometer of my house.

Black Friday has made it's way over here and the behaviour of some people is shocking! Most places over here are closed on Christmas day although there are some shops owned/run by Muslims are open and a Muslim owned restaurant is feeding people for free on the 25th for anyone on their own.

Black Friday has made it's way over here and the behaviour of some people is shocking! Most places over here are closed on Christmas day although there are some shops owned/run by Muslims are open and a Muslim owned restaurant is feeding people for free on the 25th for anyone on their own.
Here our Asian restaurants run by Asians will be open. Convenience stores will be open. Pretty much everything else closed.
And yes the Black Friday people are strange.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom