The General Chat Thread (2016-2022)

Status
Not open for further replies.
We have just watched a very interesting programme about Chernobyl.
30 years on. I don't know what programme you saw but we watched one broadcast back in spring. We mustn't forget. I remember when it happened and I was only 10 years old and my parents talked to me about it because I didn't really understand what I saw on TV.

30 years on. I don't know what programme you saw but we watched one broadcast back in spring. We mustn't forget. I remember when it happened and I was only 10 years old and my parents talked to me about it because I didn't really understand what I saw on TV.
I agree we MUST remember but not because it was a disaster [although that is bad enough] but because it gives a slight hint of what a nuclear war could do.

It was on couple of days ago. When the accident first happened a sarcophagus was quickly assembled to cover it but it is now decaying so a joint effort between various countries have built a bigger and stronger cover which hopefully will last much longer. In the mean time the toxic site will be steadily and safely dismantled. I had no idea some parts were still so dangerous that anyone going near can only go in for seconds! Ok so there are stricter safety controls etc.. but that really brings home just how toxic and deadly that stuff is, could have been so much worse.

I've never seen fog here. I can't remember ever seeing mist. But it's cold. 14 degC at 06:00 today.

Very foggy here today.
TBH we don't really get fog anymore - just mists. Fog - real fog was more a product of the old coal burning industry and coal fires. I remember [puts on old pipe and slippers] when fog was a nasty yellow colour - it tasted horrible, you couldn't see more than a couple of feet [yes feet !] and it could last for days. Road traffic [ those that dared to use it] travelled at 4 - 5 mph tops [yet oddly didn't burst into tears because their on-board computer systems couldn't get them through at 60mph - they just slowed down a bit]

Neatly combining the recent subjects of numpties and weather, one thing you notice is that however cold any given day happens to be, there will always be at least one heid-the-ba' wandering about in a pair of shorts.

Interesting logic, isn't it? Hmm, it's minus three today, better put my shorts on.
Scotland - Kilts ?

TBH we don't really get fog anymore - just mists. Fog - real fog was more a product of the old coal burning industry and coal fires. I remember [puts on old pipe and slippers] when fog was a nasty yellow colour - it tasted horrible, you couldn't see more than a couple of feet [yes feet !] and it could last for days. Road traffic [ those that dared to use it] travelled at 4 - 5 mph tops [yet oddly didn't burst into tears because their on-board computer systems couldn't get them through at 60mph - they just slowed down a bit]
During the days of back doored/boarded buses, one lasting impression is that of a lad who used to jump off as the bus approached the stop.

On this particular morning, despite warnings not to, he jumped off whilst the bus was still moving. He forgot to let go however, and ended up going into a concrete lamp post, whilst still holding on.

Even I can remember some bad ones lasting days and days. one such one descended whilst a friend and I were at a rural restaurant... it was that bad driving home that on that occasion she had to walk in front of the car so I could keep the cat on the road! I simply could not see over the end of the bonnet and 6 foot past it... she held the car at the passenger head light... we never saw another sole that evening, but we did finally make it home in time to basically get up!

Haven't seen anyone wearing a kilt for quite a while. There used to be a fellow who lived in our street that always wore a kilt (and I mean every day). We nicknamed him Braveheart.
My step father routinely wears his for any event that is formal or requires him to wear a suit. it is not that long ago I was in Pitlochry getting him a new silver sporran for him and getting some of his family tartan made up into some bit of formal dress I know forget. he has worn it at least once every 2 weeks this year so the kilt if not the new sporran sees regular usage.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom