The General Chat Thread (2023)

Status
Not open for further replies.
The conservative State Board of Education in Florida just set new guidelines on how Black History will be taught in Florida schools. For example, when schools teach about slavery, they have to mention both the bad, AND the good, such as, "slaves learned new skills that benefited them later in life." :eek: I'm not kidding. I guess they also got a free trip from Africa to the US. Lucky slaves.

CD

I saw that today in my news feed and could NOT believe what I was reading.

I saw that today in my news feed and could NOT believe what I was reading.

And, Governor Ron is running for President on a promise of making The USA like Florida, and he is currently in second place in his party's primary race -- behind Donald Trump. :eek:

CD

And, Governor Ron is running for President on a promise of making The USA like Florida, and he is currently in second place in his party's primary race -- behind Donald Trump. :eek:

CD

Craig and I were talking tonight. Let's see, he doesn't like dark skinned people obviously, he definitely doesn't like gay, bi, lesbian, Trans, or cross dressers. What kind of person does thus remind you of?

Hanging out in Port Neches, TX with my 87 year old aunt Lily. I drove over from Houston and got here around 3 p.m. We went to H.E.B. (grocery store) and got a few things plus 6 bottles of wine. We had cheese and crackers, then I made her seared sea scallops over cilantro lime rice with asparagus. We drank almost 2 bottles of wine and stayed up until 1. She's fantastic, I'm loving being here.

20230720_153510.jpg

Hanging out in Port Neches, TX with my 87 year old aunt Lily. I drove over from Houston and got here around 3 p.m. We went to H.E.B. (grocery store) and got a few things plus 6 bottles of wine. We had cheese and crackers, then I made her seared sea scallops over cilantro lime rice with asparagus. We drank almost 2 bottles of wine and stayed up until 1. She's fantastic, I'm loving being here.

View attachment 102718
Give her a good old kiwi hug from me. She looks so relaxed and chilled out.
:)

Russ

Give her a good old kiwi hug from me. She looks so relaxed and chilled out.
:)

Russ
I'm telling you she rocks! She was married to my mom's youngest brother. Mum and her siblings and all spouses other than Lily are deceased as are previous generations. Aunt Lily is the last of the G.O A.T.s.

View attachment 102718
That is very very cool 😎

Stay away from Florida, "where woke goes to die," according to the Governor. :facepalm:

BTW, they hit a new low, with Texas soon to follow, I'm sure. The conservative State Board of Education in Florida just set new guidelines on how Black History will be taught in Florida schools. For example, when schools teach about slavery, they have to mention both the bad, AND the good, such as, "slaves learned new skills that benefited them later in life." :eek: I'm not kidding. I guess they also got a free trip from Africa to the US. Lucky slaves.

Like I said, not to be out-extremed, I'm sure the conservative government in Texas will pass the same guidelines. I'm sure governot Abbott is already thinking, "Why didn't I think of that first."

CD

Saddened to hear of this madness. They always say the victors write history so it's hard to ever know what really happened.

So if one rather liked the idea of visiting America and would only like to briefly dip their toes in the staunch Bible Belt areas but spend longer in more liberal ones which states in your opinion would I be most likely to be viewed as the work of the devil and which states would I find the woke metropolitan elite? 😆

Last edited:
Saddened to hear of this madness. They always say the victors write history so it's hard to ever know what really happened.

So if one rather liked the idea of visiting America and would only like to briefly dip my toes in the staunch Bible Belt areas but spend longer in more liberal ones which states in your opinion would I be most likely to be viewed as the work of the devil and which states would I find the woke metropolitan elite? 😆
It's pockets of craziness vs. sanity in many states. I think on the surface you aren't going to notice any deep-seated racist absurdity just traveling through.

I'm telling you she rocks! She was married to my mom's youngest brother. Mum and her siblings and all spouses other than Lily are deceased as are previous generations. Aunt Lily is the last of the G.O A.T.s.

Did her kids go to Port Neches-Groves High School? They are the enemy. :ninja: :laugh:

CD

Did her kids go to Port Neches-Groves High School? They are the enemy. :ninja: :laugh:

CD
Unfortunately she and my uncle Ray tried to have children but weren't able. She dotes on my cousins. And me.

Aunt Lily and my uncle Ray both grew up in Port Arthur as did my parents and other aunts and uncles. They all went to TJH.

Last edited:

So if one rather liked the idea of visiting America and would only like to briefly dip their toes in the staunch Bible Belt areas but spend longer in more liberal ones which states in your opinion would I be most likely to be viewed as the work of the devil and which states would I find the woke metropolitan elite? 😆

A very general guideline is that the East and West Coasts are more liberal, while the center of the country, nicknamed "flyover country," is more conservative. the Bible Belt runs across the Deep South.

Now, within very conservative states, like Texas, the big cities like Houston, Dallas, San Antonio and Austin vote Democratic, while the rest of the State is mostly hard-core Republican. Well educated suburbs like Frisco, where I live, is Republican, but very moderate... and more tolerant of ethnic minorities and LGBTQ issues.

Here is a Red State/Blue State map. The Red States are Republican States, The Blue are Democratic States. The pink and purple States are know as "Swing States," as they don't have one dominant party.

1689995811603.png

CD

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom