The General Chat Thread (2023)

Status
Not open for further replies.
A very general guideline is that the East and West Coasts are more liberal, while the center of the country, nicknamed "flyover country," is more conservative. the Bible Belt runs across the Deep South.

Now, within very conservative states, like Texas, the big cities like Houston, Dallas, San Antonio and Austin vote Democratic, while the rest of the State is mostly hard-core Republican. Well educated suburbs like Frisco, where I live, is Republican, but very moderate... and more tolerant of ethnic minorities and LGBTQ issues.

Here is a Red State/Blue State map. The Red States are Republican States, The Blue are Democratic States. The pink and purple States are know as "Swing States," as they don't have one dominant party.

View attachment 102745

CD
Thanks for taking the time to post that. I've put it in my Ride America file 👍

The sulfasalazine works well for the pain, but it was fun while it lasted because I am now having an allergic reaction to it. Must stop inmidiatly. Why can't anything just help without it causing some kind of issue? Sigh. 🫥🙄🤑🤬
I'm really sorry to hear this.

Welcome to my world. I'm trying hard right now to ignore the "what's next"... we're back in wrist issues...

The pink and purple States are know as "Swing States," as they don't have one dominant party.

View attachment 102745

CD

Thanks for taking the time to post that. I've put it in my Ride America file 👍

Right now, Florida is no longer considered a swing state. It's gone firmly to the red unfortunately. The NAACP has issued a warning about traveling to Florida for people of color. The tourism councils of Miami and Fort Lauderdale areas have recently been on the news because they were stating that quite a few large conventions they have been in talks with for the future have specifically stated they decided to go elsewhere because of the current political climate in Florida.

Right now, Florida is no longer considered a swing state.
Unfortunately, the same with Ohio. We’ve gone solidly Republican the last two presidential elections, two-term Republican governor (who’s somewhat reasonable, though he has his moments), Republican state legislature…we used to be able to count on Cleveland, Columbus, and Cincinnati to tip us to the left, but not any more.

The rural counties here are absolutely rabidly ultra-conservative.

What is NAACP? Is this real, do I mis-understand? Non-whites have to have guidance about going to Florida?

Naacp.org

There have been a lot of incidents involving darker skinned people with law enforcement that are questionable in a whole lot of people's minds.

There is also a lot of tension with the LGTBQ community due to our governor's comments and legislation that has been passed.

And just in the last few days,
Slavery benefitted some blacks

And let's not even get started with the treatment of illegal and even legal (according to their attorneys) immigrants being transported out of Florida and even Texas using Florida taxpayer money to other states.

Last edited:
Just to continue the above, Florida no longer accepts certain classes of driver's licenses and state IDs from some states that are considered liberal.

Hospitals in Florida that accept Medicaid (state funded healthcare for the uninsured who cannot afford medical insurance) are now REQUIRED to document a person's status for treatment, i.e. whether you are a U.S. citizen, legal or illegal immigrant, here for a visit or working on a visa, etc. Supposedly, you won't be dragged out of the hospital and deported, but a whole lot of people aren't going to believe that.

As of today I believe, it is now a felony to transport people in the country illegally across state lines into Florida. While this on the face sounds like it's a good idea, what about all the migrant workers, the majority here illegally, that pick crops, moving from state to state as crops ripen? It's a hard, dirty job and I don't see a lot of Americans lining up for what migrant workers are paid, or anywhere even remotely close to what they are paid.

Business owners/managers of 25 or more employees are now required to use the federally run E-Verify system. If they don't, they are subject to starting fines up to $1,000 per day per employee and revocation of State business licenses. The penalties go further and harsher with repeated episodes. So, considering restaurants, plant nurseries, and who knows what other businesses use undocumented people, what's going to happen? As above, I don't see Americans lining up for those jobs.

Naacp.org

There have been a lot of incidents involving darker skinned people with law enforcement that are questionable in a whole lot of people's minds.

There is also a lot of tension with the LGTBQ community due to our governor's comments and legislation that has been passed.

Ah yes, those problems are reported over here often. It's diametrically opposed to the other 'land of the free' message we also get a lot of 😆

Countries absolutely love reporting on another countries perceived failings don't they? It always has a smug tone tone too, as if to say look at them aren't we are great 🙄 and yet if you look and some of our police forces like the Met apparently not!

The police failings in the UK on racism, sexism and homophobia have caused enormous ructions though. They are on a final warning to tidy themselves up or there will be consequences in the form of government intervention. The 'scrap them and start again' suggestion has gathered support on all sides after a hugely damning report by the Police Inspectorate that basically says it isn't a few rotten apples its the whole barrel.

What I find so hard to believe is the lies they expect to get away with when in this day and age they will have been caught on camera doing exactly the thing they say they haven't. It's so predictable its tiresome.

Last edited:
A five-day round of antibiotics:

IMG_5120.jpeg
Should I be alarmed?…Hmmmmm…weeks to months, you say?…

Just to continue the above, Florida no longer accepts certain classes of driver's licenses and state IDs from some states that are considered liberal.

Hospitals in Florida that accept Medicaid (state funded healthcare for the uninsured who cannot afford medical insurance) are now REQUIRED to document a person's status for treatment, i.e. whether you are a U.S. citizen, legal or illegal immigrant, here for a visit or working on a visa, etc. Supposedly, you won't be dragged out of the hospital and deported, but a whole lot of people aren't going to believe that.

As of today I believe, it is now a felony to transport people in the country illegally across state lines into Florida. While this on the face sounds like it's a good idea, what about all the migrant workers, the majority here illegally, that pick crops, moving from state to state as crops ripen? It's a hard, dirty job and I don't see a lot of Americans lining up for what migrant workers are paid, or anywhere even remotely close to what they are paid.

Business owners/managers of 25 or more employees are now required to use the federally run E-Verify system. If they don't, they are subject to starting fines up to $1,000 per day per employee and revocation of State business licenses. The penalties go further and harsher with repeated episodes. So, considering restaurants, plant nurseries, and who knows what other businesses use undocumented people, what's going to happen? As above, I don't see Americans lining up for those jobs.
One of the long foreseen consequences of Brexit was the loss of migrants to among other things pick crops. Some have been left rotting in the fields.
The jokes about the knuckle dragging racist xenophobes complaining about foreigners taking British jobs shouting "come back we don't want these jobs" have been hilarious.

But what is causing this hateful rhetoric to suddenly become so prevalent?
I read it increases with economic hardship as governments look for scapegoats so they point the finger at certain groups to detract focus away from their own failings. Shifting the blame is apparently the name of the game.

I see Spains general election is looking dicey and they expect the Popular Party (whose leaders bezzie is a trafficker!) to do a deal with Vox to gain power. Vox's extreme election manifesto is vicious - repeal abortion laws, end any measures aimed at gender equality or domestic violence, recentralise all power and disband local police forces. They have very nasty views like the laws protecting women against rape encourage them to falsely accuse men.

I'm glad the extreme right in the UK was made a laughing stock or I don't doubt we'd be in the same painful position. Sometimes I just stop reading the news, it's too much.

Last edited:
Well pretty much any antibiotic may cause diarrhea as they kill bacteria, even the necessary bacteria in your gut.

But what is causing this hateful rhetoric to suddenly become so prevalent?
I read it increases with economic hardship as governments look for scapegoats so they point the finger at certain groups to detract focus away from their own failings. Shifting the blame is apparently the name of the game.

I see Spains general election is looking dicey and they expect the Popular Party (whose leaders bezzie is a trafficker!) to do a deal with Vox to gain power. Vox's extreme election manifesto is vicious - repeal abortion laws, end any measures aimed at gender equality or domestic violence, recentralise all power and disband local police forces. They have very nasty views like the laws protecting women against rape encourage them to falsely accuse men.

I'm glad the extreme right in the UK was made a laughing stock or I don't doubt we'd be in the same painful position. Sometimes I just stop reading the news, it's too much.

Florida went red all over. The Florida Senate and House have a super majority of red Republicans. Our  esteemed governor got the law repealed that a sitting governor had to resign to run for another political office. Because he has a super majority, he gets what he wants passed into law.

Our governor is running for the Republican party nomination to run for President. He is the front runner behind, by a good bit, Donald Trump.

Florida went red all over. The Florida Senate and House have a super majority of red Republicans. Our  esteemed governor got the law repealed that a sitting governor had to resign to run for another political office. Because he has a super majority, he gets what he wants passed into law.

Our governor is running for the Republican party nomination to run for President. He is the front runner behind, by a good bit, Donald Trump.

Where the hell are we heading 😢

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom