The General Chat Thread (2023)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Argh. I really thought I was doing well staying positive despite the broken hand, but today I’m one week out from the injury and I am in an incredibly foul mood.

Just so frustrated - everything takes 3 times as long and it’s not even my dominant hand! Argh. I kinda want to punch something, but with my luck I’d probably end up with a boxer’s fracture.

I know exactly how you feel. I'm also taking three times as long to do things. I'm cooking recipes in short bursts with rests in between. Be encouraged by the fact your injury will get better, as will mine. There are plenty of folk who have permanent issues and worse than that, degenerative issues. I always try to remind myself of how lucky I am - despite my (it seems a year now) of bad luck and accidents.

I think the two days of 94F/34C weather are definitely done. It's getting serious, now. 108F/42C today, 110F/43C tomorrow.

1692295740807.png

CD

Today's highs in Texas. That 113F in Wichita Falls is 45C. That city is always the hottest in North Texas in the summer, and always the coldest in the winter. I don't know why anyone lives there. It is only 135 miles from me, but the temperatures are so much more extreme there.

1692310661129.png

CD

Been away for 3 days. No internet, no signal and because I turned my phone off, no date or time because when I turned it back on (powdered off overnight) it decided it was 9am on Friday 26th May 2023 and I knew it wasn't 9am because the sun was only just up!

This was from the way down. I'll do other photos later once I actually get home and get chance to catch up!

20230816_144350.jpg

This was the view from a lookout on the way south towards the coast.

Last edited:
Just love that " feels like 112F"
As if anyone would know the difference with that heat!:heat::heat:
I’m imagining a person saying, “You know…110F ain’t bad…I can handle it ok…it’s tolerable…but 112F? That’s just too much!”

Just love that " feels like 112F"
As if anyone would know the difference with that heat!:heat::heat:

Yeah, not with just two degrees of heat indexing. But, in places that have high humidity, 90F can feel like 102F. The humidity is really low in North Texas right now, so the heat index (feels like temperature) is not much different from the actual temperature. It hasn't rained in a month.

As a photographer, I hate really humid places like New Orleans when it is hot. I walk out of an air conditioned building and my lenses fog up for a while.

CD

Got myself a 14 day free trial of America's Test Kitchen online subscription! I really like some of their Youtube videos, and some of their online recipes seem really interesting, but they're all behind a paywall! I've decided to give it a try, I may keep my subscription if I like it.

Sorry for the wall of text in advance :scratchhead:
There's a weird situation in the soup kitchen I'm volunteering. There're several volunteers coming to me and telling me how good the food always is when I'm there. I told them more than once, pretty openly, that it's more like a natural law, that the food has to be better when there are 3 instead of 2 chefs, unless somebody is slacking off. And yes I know how bad it's to brag about them bragging about each other :o_o:

Today another volunteer came to me and complained about how awful the chanterellle omelette was... because she wants chanterelles just tossed in a pan with some oil and seasonings. We're helping people in need for 5-8 hours and TBH I couldn't care less about their personal opinion

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom